Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Polymethylacrylate supplier??

lordmagnus - 31-5-2006 at 17:23

Does anyone know where I can find raw polymethylacrylate? It's used in Diapers (absorbant), I was hoping to find various grades (sieved)of the raw beads. It's a biocompatible polymer, that can absorb materials and release them as they are broken down by the body. I am working on some ideas of my own design using these with anti-oxidants and such.

chemoleo - 31-5-2006 at 18:07

I believe it runs under the name 'plexiglass', which is the constituent of plastic windows, found in green houses, and so on. It really isn't hard to come by.
As to beads... you might be better off asking directly at the manufacturers.

solo - 31-5-2006 at 19:33

Close but not the same as plexiglass.............solo

Quote:
Originally posted by chemoleo
I believe it runs under the name 'plexiglass', which is the constituent of plastic windows, found in green houses, and so on. It really isn't hard to come by.
As to beads... you might be better off asking directly at the manufacturers.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Polymethylacrylate
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Polymethylacrylate is a synthetic polymer used to absorb water in diapers, pads, etc. It can absorb up to 400 times its own mass.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Plexiglas is the same chemically as Lucite: poly(methyl methacrylate).
Polycarbonate is Lexan. The elecrtical properties of Plexiglas are pretty
boring: it is an insulator.

...............source,

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/eng99/eng99015.htm

--------------------------------------------------------------

lordmagnus - 2-6-2006 at 11:29

I found a source for the polymer (polymethylacrylate), garden center sell it as water crystals, moisture crystals, etc. "SHULTZ MOISTURE PLUS", it absorbs water quickly, and slowly releases it back out. It's used to keep soil moist for plants for extended periods. It's about 7$ for 12 oz (net weight)