Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Liquid azides

=SkyNET= - 7-6-2006 at 20:57

Can someone name some stable liquid azides?

BromicAcid - 7-6-2006 at 22:31

Trimethylsilyl azide comes to mind. It can be distilled without fear of explosion. There is a synthesis of it on the org syn website.

Pyrovus - 7-6-2006 at 23:01

There's always the simplest of the azides, hydrogen azide, which is a liquid boiling at 30°C. It's also highly toxic and rather explosive.

kazaa81 - 7-6-2006 at 23:18

I don't know if it's hydrogen azide...I think it's called hydrazoic acid, HN3, not stable even in solution, boils at approx. 35°C at 760mm Hg and it's said to be much poisonous even if not cumultive.
However, never tried it.
It can be synthetized from hydrazine and HNO2.

=SkyNET= - 8-6-2006 at 10:31

Yeah right, HN3 sounds like fun!

There is absolutely no way im ever distilling HN3. Or any sensitive liquid explosive.

D:

TMS Azide sound good though.

[Edited on 8-6-2006 by =SkyNET=]

Mumbles - 8-6-2006 at 12:27

The pure gas/liquid, or lets just say substance, of HN3 is refered to as Hydrogen Azide. A solution would be hydrazoic acid. Similar naming phenomenon are applied to HCl, HF, HBr, etc.

There are at least a few phenyl azides that are liquids. Unfortunatly, not being at college, I lack my journal access so I can't find out what they are for you.

[edit] Phenyl azide is an oily liquid. That is about the only one I can find much information on, and even that is severely lacking. I need my university academic access back otherwise I may go insane.

Synthesis of Phenyl azide

[Edited on 6-8-2006 by Mumbles]