Sciencemadness Discussion Board

How to prepare Ammonium Bifluoride?

cremesti - 8-6-2006 at 23:14

Any one know how to prepare ammonium Bifluoride plz?

I need it to initiate an RO cleaning for a system that I suspect has been fouled by silicates.

plz email me at rami@cremesti.com

thanks

peace

rami

12AX7 - 9-6-2006 at 01:39

...Partially neutralize HF with ammonia? Possibly metasynthetic routes...

Ya..not pretty...neither are fluorides...

leu - 9-6-2006 at 04:09

Ammonium fluoride is heat sensitive and toxic, without a good quality fume hood it would be very foolish to attempt to synthesize it :P

Fleaker - 11-6-2006 at 08:14

Sure we know how to prepare it, it's just we'd prefer not to, as it is unsafe to do. It is much safer to buy it, but it is very hazardous to use as it liberates hydrogen fluoride upon contact with water or any moisture. Mine is stored in a dessicator in the package it came in. I suggest you use something like dilute hydrofluoric acid to scour your system. Surely there's a chemical supplier somewhere in Lebanon that would sell HF?

garage chemist - 11-6-2006 at 09:02

Or buy some sodium fluoride (which doesn't have the extreme dermal toxicity of ammonium bifluoride and HF and might be easier to get) and mix it with dilute HCl to get a solution which contains HF (caution!) and can dissolve silicates.

Ammonium bifluoride is normally prepared by mixing 1 mol of ammonia solution and 2 mol of aqueous HF and crystallizing.
The problem here will be the equipment, as glass and porcelain are obviously unsuitable.