Sciencemadness Discussion Board

about a microscope

luis290 - 9-6-2006 at 11:15

hi, im luis:

my quiestion is: what can i see with a microscope of 200x? can i see blood??

chemoleo - 9-6-2006 at 15:41

Specify, what is blood to you? You mean if you can see red platelets? Unlikely, possibly tiny dots if diluted, or a red smear if undiluted. Use a saliva sample and stain it, you might be more lucky there.

Else, soil samples, or the soluble extract of it, provide you with immensely interesting tiny species...worms, lice, and all those things we never think about!

[Edited on 9-6-2006 by chemoleo]

ecoli - 9-6-2006 at 17:14

try looking at some pond water.

chromium - 9-6-2006 at 21:57

Cells of most plant tissues are clearly visible and can be easily studied at this magnification.

lordmagnus - 10-6-2006 at 19:38

Hey Luis,

They are right, affraid a 200x microscope is a little limited, I got a 1600x (the 100x objective is an oil immersion lense), and upgraded it with a 20X eyepiece to 2000x, can now study nitrifying (nitrosomas) bacteria that grow in bacterial plaques in the freshwater aquarium. Try E-BAY, there is a place called precision optics that sells chinese made (supriseingly good quality) microscopes at extremely reasonable prices. I also tracked down an unused 30 year old bright line hemacytometer slide and kit to use with my microscope to do cell counts, etc.

neutrino - 10-6-2006 at 22:54

What is the maximum useful magnification for an optical microscope? Things of a certain size (about bacteria size) are just too small to be seen in any detail by rays of visible light.

Darkblade48 - 11-6-2006 at 09:00

Quote:
Originally posted by neutrino
What is the maximum useful magnification for an optical microscope? Things of a certain size (about bacteria size) are just too small to be seen in any detail by rays of visible light.

From Wikipedia:
Quote:

Due to diffraction, even the best classic optical microscope is limited to a resolution of 0.2 micrometres.

I'm not too sure on what the precise magnification would be for this resolution, however.