Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Analysis of unknown compounds in ceramic glaze

Sedit - 17-1-2015 at 18:01

Is anyone here capable to telling the ratio and chemistry in a sample of ceramic glaze that was mixed up by one of our students at the local college.

If able how much would it cost because the glaze is a favorite but sadly its not reproducible due to it being a mixture of two failed glazes and we are currently down to the bottom of what we have left of it. I was approached and asked if I had a means of telling the ratio of chemicals contained in the mix but it is out of my ability range.

Any takers?

Oscilllator - 17-1-2015 at 20:07

Wait, so you want to mail someone a sample of the glaze so that they can analyse it for you?
I think your first port of call should be the chemistry department at said college. I imagine there's somebody there that can help you.

gdflp - 17-1-2015 at 20:16

I agree with Oscillator, but it's still an interesting problem. Do you know what compounds could possibly be present? Where are you located?

Sedit - 18-1-2015 at 09:55

I doubt that this piss ant community college in the poorest county in the state will have the equipment needed to do such a thing but i could be wrong. Im located on the east coast. It might be possible to get an idea of whats in it but the ratios would be needed as well.