Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Formic Acid Purification?

Savag3Savant - 30-6-2006 at 06:31

Helllloo everybody,
I've been doing a bit of home chemistry, and one of my endeavors requires the use of formic acid and 30% H202 to create performic acid. Living in the US of A, formic acid was a bit difficult to obtain.. However, it was accomplished, but still needs to be separated from a mess of water. The water is at least 50% of the precious sample, and I have already attempted freezing the product to just below 8 degrees C (Formic acid's melting point) to attempt freezing just the desired compound from the soln. Do I need to use a smaller sample to achieve a faster freeze? I'm using approximately 700 ml of soln as of now.. Any suggestions on what I could do? Unfortunately, distillation is out of the question because the compounds differ by only 1 degree C. Thanks in advance!

leu - 30-6-2006 at 07:45

Either distill it under a vacuum as in JACS 50 2166 (1928) to obtain a 77% concentration or azeotropically using butyric acid as in British Patent 597078 for higher concentrations up to 99% :D

Savag3Savant - 30-6-2006 at 11:04

Butyric acid, eh? Sounds somewhat accessible.. How did you go about obtaining this? Also, I found the two-page British patent, and it mentions 'n-propyl formate' and 'isopropyl ether' as the only suggested azeotroping agents.. Could you refer me to you source for the switch? Be it logic, or pdf .. heh Thanks again! :)

leu - 30-6-2006 at 11:29

After downloading and reading that patent, it's clear that while the author was one of the leading authorities in the world when he wrote that paragraph that he still made a typographcal error :mad: Another good source of information states that formic and butyiric acid don't form an azeotrope :P Isopropyl ether is extremely dangerous to work with, but it may very well be the best way to obtain highly concentrated formic acid :(

[Edited on 30-6-2006 by leu]

Nicodem - 30-6-2006 at 11:49

Quote:
Originally posted by Savag3Savant
The water is at least 50% of the precious sample, and I have already attempted freezing the product to just below 8 degrees C (Formic acid's melting point) to attempt freezing just the desired compound from the soln. Do I need to use a smaller sample to achieve a faster freeze?

That does not make sense. A 50% solution of HCOOH(aq) has a freezing point well bellow 0°C. Mixtures behave like mixtures and their properties obviously differ from the properties of pure compounds.

S.C. Wack - 30-6-2006 at 13:44

Simple distillation of 50% acid is not out of the question, it's just not perfect, giving weaker and stronger acid. The weaker acid can be put to good use after neutralization:
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=1782
That German patent works well, though of course the temperature is a little high for a mass of bisulfate. I set a CO detector at the retort outlet and got nothing at any time.

http://www.erowid.org/archive/rhodium/chemistry/formic.acid....

Savag3Savant - 30-6-2006 at 18:07

So the bp's (while in the mixture) are not close enough to completely screw a simple distillation? Or will it be like you said, simply "not perfect?" What do you mean when you say it will yield a weaker and a stronger acid? Do you mean that since the boiling point of formic acid is higher - outside of the sample - that it will be the first to come off to yield (in the receiving glass) a more concentrated sample.. while the distilling flask will contain most of the water... Sorry I'm a bit slow..

And seeing how this will inevitably be thrown into a soln. of 30% H2O2 ... Can't I use a few shortcuts to diminish the necessity of perfectly purifying the formic acid? Since I've never actually performed this synth, here is a list of q's I have on my mind:

1. Is the reaction violent? -- I'm sure it is just a bit.. heh
2. Is there a visual cue to help determine when the soln. has settled and therefore fully reacted?
3. Is there a particular ratio to keep in mind while creating a peracid? Excess of H2O2? Excess of Formic Acid? Or perfect molar mix?
4. My intentions are to oxidatively cleave an alkene into an aldehyde.. Does this affect the proportions to which I should mix these?

If these questions are a bit general.. please ask me anything. I've done a share of reading, and am in my third year of university (studying chemistry).. thanks again guys (or gals..... hah don't we wish) for all the input!

leu - 24-8-2006 at 02:49

The attached paper Ind. Eng. Chem. 27 1224 (1935) uses fractional crystallization by freezing to produce highly pure formic acid, but the cooling process is used to remove impurities; the formic acid is isolated by distillaton :cool:

Attachment: ritter.zip (31kB)
This file has been downloaded 570 times