Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Acetone peroxide as propellant

ecos - 30-1-2015 at 01:11

Hi All,

It is very interesting to know that some explosives are used as ingredient of propellants, I found some articles talking about using TNT, RDX, NC , NG, ... as propellant.

I found Nakka project using AN as an oxidizer which is also HE.

I tried to search for mixtures that uses acetone peroxide as propellant but never found anything useful except one book , it said : AP is very sensitive and used only for high performance rockets !

do anyone here have experience with AP in this area?

hissingnoise - 30-1-2015 at 02:28

Quote:
I tried to search for mixtures that uses acetone peroxide as propellant but never found anything useful except one book , it said : AP is very sensitive and used only for high performance rockets !

AP (ammonium perchlorate) a potent oxidiser is what's being referred to, I'd imagine.

Acetone peroxide is much too sensitive . . .

Microtek - 30-1-2015 at 02:41

Using acetone peroxide as any kind of propellant takes the term "bad idea" to entirely new levels.

Dornier 335A - 30-1-2015 at 04:03

Acetone peroxide will not withstand much pressure before going high order. And having all the fuel in the rocket burn in a microsecond is classified as a "bad idea".

roXefeller - 30-1-2015 at 05:14

I wouldn't want to go through the mixing phase necessary for rocket fuel (ball milling, diapering, blending the binder in, pressing) with a combined primary and secondary fuel.

ecos - 30-1-2015 at 05:48

Quote: Originally posted by hissingnoise  
Quote:

AP (ammonium perchlorate) a potent oxidiser is what's being referred to, I'd imagine.

Acetone peroxide is much too sensitive . . .

Maybe you are right !

Tsjerk - 30-1-2015 at 07:27

Aceton peroxide is quite borderline when it comes to going low/high order. As in, there is now low order.

Hawkguy - 30-1-2015 at 07:48

If you wanna try, I'd recommend packing 50g into a cardboard tube, and hammering it in there with a little dowel ram. Does the trick for me EVERY time... Also great if you haven't seen the inside of the ER for awhile

No! Do not give sarcastic/sardonic/humorous instructions to people regarding such things... Language barriers and ignorance may lead to a BAD outcome. Go to TOTSE or the like if you must. Or at least use a smiley!:o

[Edited on 30-1-2015 by Bert]

VladimirLem - 30-1-2015 at 08:06

Quote: Originally posted by Hawkguy  
If you wanna try, I'd recommend packing 50g into a cardboard tube, and hammering it in there with a little dowel ram. Does the trick for me EVERY time... Also great if you haven't seen the inside of the ER for awhile

Dude, stop posting stuff like this...
The threadstarter seems to have no idea that this is a (very) bad joke...

As the others posted it: AP stands in this case for ammonium perchlorate
Sure, A-Perchlorate is able to detonate too, but is less sensitive than a damn PEROXIDE and is used as a (very strong) oixidizer in this case...

Darkstar - 30-1-2015 at 13:44

Quote: Originally posted by Hawkguy  
If you wanna try, I'd recommend packing 50g into a cardboard tube, and hammering it in there with a little dowel ram.

I admit, I laughed out loud at that dowel ram bit. Then I saw the OP actually trying it and suddenly it wasn't so funny. :(