Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Aluminium Oxide ( what can I do with it)

gardul - 2-2-2015 at 09:12

Good morning everyone.

Due to my recent studies; and many many failed experiments in making a stable aluminum chlorohydrate. I now have 143.40g of aluminium oxide. I need some suggestions in what I can do with it?

[Edited on 2-2-2015 by gardul]

[Edited on 2-2-2015 by gardul]

Bert - 2-2-2015 at 09:35

Catalyst or catalyst substrates, chromatography, filler, refractory, abrasive, ceramics...

Or make some Aluminum metal electrolytically.

gdflp - 2-2-2015 at 09:39

You could make some TLC plates from microscope slides if you need them. This link uses silica, but alumina can be substituted without issue.

blogfast25 - 2-2-2015 at 09:44

Quote: Originally posted by Bert  
Or make some Aluminum metal electrolytically.

LOL! Slightly outside the capacity envelope of most hobbyists, I feel...

There is in fact a chemical method of preparing Al (and I'm not talking Wohler's method). Can anyone guess?

Threadjacking, sorry!

Praxichys - 2-2-2015 at 10:19

Quote: Originally posted by blogfast25  

There is in fact a chemical method of preparing Al (and I'm not talking Wohler's method). Can anyone guess?

I believe the trichloride can be reduced by a Hg amalgam of Na or K.

Brain&Force - 2-2-2015 at 10:29

Quote: Originally posted by Praxichys  
Quote: Originally posted by blogfast25  

I believe the trichloride can be reduced by a Hg amalgam of Na or K.

That works but I think he's referring to the electrolysis of anhydrous AlCl3 in an alcoholic solvent and producing an amalgam. This method works with the rare earths according to Brauer.

[edit] oh, chemical method.

[Edited on 2.2.2015 by Brain&Force]

blogfast25 - 2-2-2015 at 10:32

Reduction of AlF<sub>3</sub> with Mg in a thermite-style reaction is very exothermic. Working on it.

gardul - 2-2-2015 at 11:26

Quote: Originally posted by gdflp  
You could make some TLC plates from microscope slides if you need them. This link uses silica, but alumina can be substituted without issue.

I may have to try that.

thanks everyone for the ideas.. I can't believe i types chloro chloro. Perhaps it's the chemist version of toro toro?

gardul - 2-2-2015 at 12:10

Quote: Originally posted by gdflp  

I may have to try that.

thanks everyone for the ideas.. I can't believe i types chloro chloro. Perhaps it's the chemist version of toro toro?