Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Rador Labs Challenge #2 - Chemical Conflagarations

Rador Labs - 13-2-2015 at 19:18

After much delay on our part, our second challenge is finally being released! This challenge will be run very differently from the previous ones, because it depends on YOUR vote! But first, read the rules – it's not as complicated as last time, but there are some things to go over.

In particular, do not submit anything in this thread. All submissions are to be emailed to the Rador Labs email (radorlabs [at] gmail, we'll include a link in our profile). Feel free to ask questions or announce your entry here (but don't give any information about your entry).

The submission phase will end March 6 0000 UTC and the voting phase will begin immediately after.

As before, there is a grand prize at the end for all donors! Good luck and happy combusting!

[Edited on 2-14-2015 by Rador Labs]

blogfast25 - 14-2-2015 at 09:13

I like it.

The Volatile Chemist - 14-2-2015 at 13:00

So... One cannot use *any* purchased chemicals? Not just 'cannot use a purchased chemical as a final product'?
Good Idea! Main problem: My only camera is horrible. I guess I'll go for interesting color.
One more question, may the final result be a mix of chemicals?
Thanks!
TVC

aga - 14-2-2015 at 14:17

Slightly confused here as well, regarding the 'bought-ness' of the chemicals.

Do the chemicals need to be synthesised to be eleigible ?

If it were me, i'd drop that requirement and get a whole load more photos of great colours.

blogfast25 - 14-2-2015 at 14:29

Quote: Originally posted by aga  

Do the chemicals need to be synthesised to be eleigible ?

If it were me, i'd drop that requirement and get a whole load more photos of great colours.

Kind of agree but in reality it ain't going to make that much difference, I think. Flame colours are caused by emission spectra of elements, at least mostly. Those tend to require simple compounds, complexity being destroyed by heat.

Complicated chemicals aren't likely to create the winner here.

aga - 14-2-2015 at 14:37

Erase this bit :

"... but the material must be synthesized or extracted, not bought."

Otherwise my potato extract might not win over the strontium nitrate i bought.

Edit

Seeing as it's a winner-by-vote, no restrictions really need to be made : let the vote decide.

[Edited on 14-2-2015 by aga]

j_sum1 - 14-2-2015 at 14:39

It's the difference between usung the strontium carbonate I have on hand and making something. And strontium chloride seems, well, not much of a synthesis.

My wife just bought a nice new camera. I might think about this one.

Etaoin Shrdlu - 14-2-2015 at 14:47

I like this one. Starting materials can be purchased, right?

blogfast25 - 14-2-2015 at 15:10

Quote: Originally posted by Etaoin Shrdlu  
I like this one. Starting materials can be purchased, right?

No, synthesis required.

Ingredients for copper: 1 supernova.

Brain&Force - 14-2-2015 at 15:35

Ok, big mistake, you can buy your starting materials, you just can't use them directly.

This wasn't my own idea, though.

Texium - 14-2-2015 at 23:57

Quote: Originally posted by Brain&Force  
Ok, big mistake, you can buy your starting materials, you just can't use them directly.

This wasn't my own idea, though.
Yes, and actually you can use them directly if you wish, anything goes for this competition. Sorry about the confusion, we promise, there will be no more rule changing, and this will not turn into a crazy mess like the first competition!
Honestly, I'm not even sure how that made it into the rules, because I thought that we tossed it out several days ago...

Brain&Force - 15-2-2015 at 19:37

We haven't received any submissions yet! Who's planning to submit?

mayko - 15-2-2015 at 19:58

I've got some ideas, will likely submit something.

Are animated *.gif's considered to be a 'picture'?

Brain&Force - 15-2-2015 at 20:04

Let me confer with my colleagues on this one, I hadn't thought of that.

Volanschemia - 15-2-2015 at 20:20

We have talked and decided against animated gifs. Still gifs are allowed but be aware that they only support 256 colours so it may lower the quality of you photo.

Also we have decided that videos will not be allowed for this competition but will likely be permitted for future ones.

Looking forward to seeing some flames!

MrHomeScientist - 17-2-2015 at 08:09

Disallowing videos makes me sad. If you must stick to that, might I suggest: People submit pictures for the competition, then after voting is complete based on photos alone people can upload videos to that thread for everyone's viewing pleasure. My strategy, were I to submit, would be to shoot a video and submit a frame from that as a photo, so I'd hate to waste the footage! My current idea would also look much better as a video than a single picture.

Molecular Manipulations - 17-2-2015 at 08:20

I'd much rather upload videos too. I already started filming some flames yesterday, but didn't really get what I wanted.
We should do a collaborative video on flames like the one on fire without matches a few years back. Is anyone interested?

Amos - 17-2-2015 at 08:56

There is a strong probability that a future competition from us will involve video submissions, though on what subject I cannot divulge.

Brain&Force - 17-2-2015 at 09:32

Quote: Originally posted by Molecular Manipulations  
I'd much rather upload videos too. I already started filming some flames yesterday, but didn't really get what I wanted.
We should do a collaborative video on flames like the one on fire without matches a few years back. Is anyone interested?

I am, send me a U2U/Skype message on this. I have my own idea for a collaborative video, let's see what we can come up with.

Quote: Originally posted by MrHomeScientist  
Disallowing videos makes me sad. If you must stick to that, might I suggest: People submit pictures for the competition, then after voting is complete based on photos alone people can upload videos to that thread for everyone's viewing pleasure. My strategy, were I to submit, would be to shoot a video and submit a frame from that as a photo, so I'd hate to waste the footage! My current idea would also look much better as a video than a single picture.

Feel free to submit videos and other data, you'll just need to provide a still for the poll. We'll make a photo gallery and video playlist at the end of the competition.

The Volatile Chemist - 18-2-2015 at 12:20

Hopefully image quality isn't *too* big of a part, though I'm sure it'll be considered. Some can't afford a nice camera/iPhone with one.
I'm working on something interesting, this is a good idea for a competition.

mayko - 18-2-2015 at 12:34

Quote: Originally posted by The Volatile Chemist  
Hopefully image quality isn't *too* big of a part, though I'm sure it'll be considered. Some can't afford a nice camera/iPhone with one.
I'm working on something interesting, this is a good idea for a competition.

This was my concern; I'm not sure how clearly combustion can be photographed without fine control of shutter speed and exposure.... stills might also miss some of the dynamics of the reaction. But then again it's not primarily a photography contest, so...

Brain&Force - 18-2-2015 at 14:35

As long as you can hit the 800×800 minimum, you're good. In the end it all comes down to the public vote!

[edit] by the way we haven't received a SINGLE submission...I understand it may take a while to work on the project, but don't forget about us :)

[Edited on 18.2.2015 by Brain&Force]

Jylliana - 23-2-2015 at 09:05

KaBUMP

Is everybody busy with other stuff or something?
We want to see some more fire! :D

[Edited on 23-2-2015 by Jylliana]

MrHomeScientist - 23-2-2015 at 13:10

I actually am quite busy, but I would like to submit if I get the time. I have an idea that would be better suited to video than a photo, but we'll see if it comes out with a decent picture.

Brain&Force - 23-2-2015 at 19:59

Hint to all who are entering: don't forget about long exposure :D

The Volatile Chemist - 3-3-2015 at 09:18

Ouch, I forgot about this. My main problem is that I can't donate, so there isn't as much motivation.

Zyklon-A - 3-3-2015 at 10:52

I don't understand the donating process. Do you need to donate to enter?
It says "Optionally make a $3.00 (USD) donation using this PayPal link. If you donate, make sure to mention it in your submission.
Multiple submissions are allowed. If you want to win prize money on all your submissions, you must make a donation for each of them."

So it sounds like donation is optional, but then it says if you want to win prize money on all your submissions, you must make a donation for each of them. Is anyone else confused? What's the donation for? The prize money?

[Edited on 3-3-2015 by Zyklon-A]

aga - 3-3-2015 at 12:01

Obviously yes - the donations *are* what makes up the prize money.

Zyklon-A - 3-3-2015 at 12:08

But what's the "optionally" part for? Does that mean optionally you can donate without a chance to win? I don't see the point in saying that in the Submission Requirements if it has nothing to do with submissions. It could have been a lot more clear, it's a really weird way to say that.

gdflp - 3-3-2015 at 13:03

If you donate, then you are a contender to win the prize money. If you don't donate however, you can't win the prize money, but can still participate in the competition and enter a submission with a chance to win the"prestige" of winning. A second winner would then be chosen to win the prize money.

Zyklon-A - 3-3-2015 at 13:43

Would it have been too hard to say "You won't get any prize money unless you put $3.00 in the pot."
That's pretty sad I even had to ask this question, as it's probably the single most important aspect of this challenge. I guess I could have figured that out, but it was mentioned so nonchalantly in the rules.
Anyway thanks for clearing that up.

aga - 3-3-2015 at 13:48

Seemed pretty clear to me :-

Submit if you like.
Donate if you like.

Do Both and you can win all the money.

Allows non-money motivated people to Submit entries.

Also allows for non-competitors to Donate towards the prize fund.

Jylliana - 4-3-2015 at 10:35

I just submitted a photo. Since the winner will be chosen through voting, I thought I could do that.

If you win and donated, you get the prize money(all donations for this challenge).
If you win and haven't donated, you get eternal glory and the prize money goes to the best photo with a donation.

Brain&Force - 4-3-2015 at 14:14

Quote: Originally posted by aga  
Seemed pretty clear to me :-

Submit if you like.
Donate if you like.

Do Both and you can win all the money.

Allows non-money motivated people to Submit entries.

Also allows for non-competitors to Donate towards the prize fund.

You got it.

Zombie - 4-3-2015 at 20:46

So you're saying... If I make a great fire I can win something?
Really????

I have to buy a camera.

Does the news count? They have cameras... I'm down!

Zyklon-A - 4-3-2015 at 22:03

You want to steal a news camera? Count me in, say we meet halfway? I'll bring the explosives, you the guns?

Zombie - 4-3-2015 at 22:15

Quote: Originally posted by Zyklon-A  
Would it have been too hard to say "You won't get any prize money unless you put $3.00 in the pot."
That's pretty sad I even had to ask this question, as it's probably the single most important aspect of this challenge. I guess I could have figured that out, but it was mentioned so nonchalantly in the rules.
Anyway thanks for clearing that up.

No offense, but I wondered the same thing myself.

" but it was mentioned so nonchalantly in the rules."

No offense.

Zombie - 4-3-2015 at 22:17

You want to steal a news camera? Count me in, say we meet halfway? I'll bring the explosives, you the guns?

1000000000%

It's a Quantum thing.
You get the news people there, and I'll jack the hardware.

This is in the bag!~

The Volatile Chemist - 5-3-2015 at 09:21

Quote: Originally posted by Zombie  

1000000000%

It's a Quantum thing.

This is in the bag!~

Oh, I thought you were going to make a fire to get the news people to come, then ask for a copy of the video they send to the network :)

Zyklon-A - 5-3-2015 at 09:44

Right... Use the explosives to lure those drama loving greedy reporters, let them film it, then run off with van and all the equipment.
Leave them stranded in the snow with nitrogen triiodide "mines" scattered all around.

Zombie - 5-3-2015 at 09:46

1000000000%

It's a Quantum thing.

This is in the bag!~

Oh, I thought you were going to make a fire to get the news people to come, then ask for a copy of the video they send to the network :)

That was the original intent.

This sounds like more fun tho... Guns, fire, zombies,... Come on!!! :D

The Volatile Chemist - 5-3-2015 at 12:31

1000000000%

It's a Quantum thing.

This is in the bag!~

That was the original intent.

This sounds like more fun tho... Guns, fire, zombies,... Come on!!! :D

Sounds great! As long as all fire is colored, somewhat. Otherwise we'll lose the creativity points.
Be sure to include footage of the reporter's reactions to the NI3 'mines' :)

[Edited on 3-5-2015 by The Volatile Chemist]

aga - 5-3-2015 at 14:03

With the NI3 going off all over the place, get some Purple filtering going on.

Zombie - 5-3-2015 at 14:05

I had to take that back... It really wasn't as funny as I thought it was :o

Sorry that's just wrong...

[Edited on 3-5-2015 by Zombie]

The Volatile Chemist - 5-3-2015 at 14:44

Yeah....it is.....
You'll have to see if it's been 'reported' so far....
Sorry for contributing to the derailing of this thread...

Rador Labs - 6-3-2015 at 21:18

Due to small turnout, we are extending the deadline for submissions by one week. The new date is March 13 at 0000 UTC. This will be the only extension, so make sure to get your submissions in this week if you want to participate! The voting will take place the following week.

The Volatile Chemist - 7-3-2015 at 14:35

Heh, heh.... oops, yeah, I forgot again. I'll think about submitting something.

Zombie, it's too late to take back!:o

Zombie - 7-3-2015 at 19:39

Don't rat me out! ;)