Sciencemadness Discussion Board

A thought for lab supplies...

Zombie - 4-3-2015 at 22:22

I've signed up with Fisher, Corning, Burkle, DesChem, and a few other suppliers.

They all sell by case lots. I mean hundreds of pieces per order.
In the "Free Stuff" thread they give away more stuff than I need.

My question is this.

Has anyone here offered to order say a case (24) lab coats, and ship them around for anyone that needs them?

How about a case of 50ml beakers? (50) or test tubes? (500)

My point is this stuff is expensive if you buy a few but cheap as dirt if you order a case.

One example... I ordered a case of foil pans, w/ lids
(like a lasagna pan / clear lid) for 99.00 USD shipped.
Ebay sells them for 40 bucks for 25 pieces. I have 500 pans, and lids!

Same for Petri dishes. I asked for 33 dishes, and was sent 132) 100 x 15mm dishes.

I HATE to see this stuff go to waste!

Now I'm going to keep the dishes but I do see a potential benefit for the forum.

Has anyone here ever set up a
Bazaar?
Sort of a trading post!

I'd like to buy a quality lab coat, and maybe a PVC or Rubber apron. I can get ONE on Ebay for maybe 20 bucks but I can buy a case of 24 of them for 4-5 bucks each.

What I'm saying here is, I'd be willing to drop whatever in the mail, and have the person that wants it pay after they get it.
No profit kinda thing. Just a share the wealth.

I do the same thing w/ Harley parts or scooter parts or whatever, and I can say 100% truth... ONE person over 8-9 years did not pay.

Forums are about the best part of the internet. I'm just wondering if people here would be interested in bulk buys.

I put out the order, and you pay when you get it.

No chemicals........ Just lab supplies like consumables, safety stuff (glasses) filter paper, glass, plastic ware, stir bars, whatever.

No risk to anyone but me.

If you have a hundred posts... IN

I'm not rich but I do believe in making life easier for everyone I come across, and trust me... I can find dead beats.

What do you think?

Good idea? Bad idea? Why waste a good thing.

[Edited on 3-5-2015 by Zombie]

Texium - 4-3-2015 at 22:30

I don't understand. What does this mean?

Brain&Force - 4-3-2015 at 22:30

Where's the info?

Zombie - 4-3-2015 at 23:04

What info?

What does what mean?

I'm talking about ordering items that most forum members use, and shipping it to them at cost.

You pay AFTER you get it.

No magic, and no wizardry. A case of 15mm x 150mm test tubes costs whatever. Maybe 2-3 cents each.

I buy them if people need them. I ship them if people want them. You pay what I pay plus shipping. AFTER you get them.

The prices will be readily available on line for everyone to see.

I'm not a brilliant guy. You all are smarter than fuck!

If I can contribute by helping get supplies at cost... I feel like I am re-paying what I learn here.
Schooling is not free.

Zombie - 4-3-2015 at 23:09

Just an example...

http://www.fishersci.com/ecomm/servlet/fsproductdetail?store...

Edit... That is NOT my final cost. It is MUCH less. Approx 40% less on most items.

Brain&Force - 4-3-2015 at 23:11

For some reason the text of the post didn't appear when we saw it...we were wondering what happened!

Zombie - 4-3-2015 at 23:12

Which post?

Texium - 4-3-2015 at 23:19

The first post was completely blank, containing only the title for a while. Now it's fine.

As for buying in bulk and redistributing, I'm all for it! I did that on a small scale recently, with some burettes that I found on eBay. I needed two, but I found a six pack for a good price so I bought it and resold the remaining four to other members. I'd be interested in doing so again with other things, possibly on a slightly larger scale, as it was an enjoyable experience for me, and others benefited from it too.

Zombie - 4-3-2015 at 23:24

That's exactly what I am talking about!

Maybe a "Sticky" thread or something like that?

It would only help everyone here if it was ok by the sites Admin. I don't want to make waves if they have already been down this road...

It's just things are soooooo cheap if you buy bulk. Why miss out?

Volanschemia - 4-3-2015 at 23:30

I would be interested too Zombie. Thankyou for thinking of us, it's much appreciated. I don't have need for anything atm but further down the track I probably will.

Incidentally, this should probably be in Reagents and Apparatus Aquisition.

Zombie - 4-3-2015 at 23:35

Get ya'

I didn't think too much about where to post this.

I'm kinda like John Wayne, and shoot from the hip.

True-Grit.jpg - 197kB

Maybe Admin can discuss the idea, and give some input?

Texium - 4-3-2015 at 23:38

I agree, and may I also refer you to this thread, which discusses similar ideas and the possible issues involved.
I doubt that there would be an official Sciencemadness endorsed thing, but if we were to set it up as a sort of co-op, it might work out, I don't know. There is also a Marketplace page on the Sciencemadness Wiki, but it has never been used before, and is not the most intuitive thing.

Zombie - 4-3-2015 at 23:47

I get a "This Sites Security Certificate is Not trusted" on that link...

It's 2am here, and I'm about beat to death, so I'd like to see what more people think (no offense meant at all)

I see your point on "official" endorsement. It could be a mine field but as long as no one minds... I don't.
I've been divorced twice, and lost more than a few test tubes...

I'll look for the market place page in the morning...

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the feedback on this.

Zyklon-A - 5-3-2015 at 00:00

Totally in! How soon do you plan on starting?

Zombie - 5-3-2015 at 06:17

Fisher is about the best price per unit site.

http://www.fishersci.com/ecomm/servlet/cmstatic?href=index.j...

Perhaps a few fellas post up some common item they want, a case of Media bottles, lets say...
http://www.fishersci.com/ecomm/servlet/itemdetail?storeId=10...

Everyone wants three each...
I'll order them, and ship them out.

We would have to have the entire order spoken for cause I don't want to sit on items...

I think it can help forum members get better pricing on REAL gear. It will make me feel better by being able to provide a REAL service here, and it will help me build a REAL relationship with these supply companies.

I have more free time than most. I run my own businesses, and I already have UPS, and FedX accounts.

I also have Paypal so paying after you get your items is safe. I'm the only one risking anything.

You all have a great working relationship here, and I KNOW none of you wants to mess that up.

Let's say one "new" member does stiff on a payment... No more respect. That hurts enough. What do I loose? maybe 20-30 bucks. So what?

Like I said, I'd like to be Sure this is OK by everyone. I don't want to open old wounds (if any) or rock a steady ship.
It's a 100% honor system.

Sort of post up what you all would want, and see if we can agree on an order...

I need mainly consumables like Lab wear, safety glasses or a face shield, Hi temp gloves, filter papers, maybe silicone bench matts... whatever.

Maybe test tube racks... a case of 12, and split it up...

Burkle has cool funnel stands in 5 units per case... Whatever.

I think in all fairness all orders should be Insured shipping. That way any "Lost" orders are covered.

Just look thru the catalogues, and come up w/ anything that members agree on. I can begin any time.

careysub - 5-3-2015 at 07:05

I think this is a great idea. I bought two of zts16's burette's, he sent along the foam packing insert to store them in too (double thanks!).

An example of something I woudl be interested in is one Duran Premium bottle cap (with the PTFE seal). They sell in cases of 5. I could use one for a bromine bottle, but probably don't need more than one.

Zombie - 5-3-2015 at 07:50

Link the product.

Maybe we can get the ball rolling!

Should I ask a Mod or Admin to move the thread?
Whom should I ask?

gdflp - 5-3-2015 at 08:29

Quote: Originally posted by Zombie  

Should I ask a Mod or Admin to move the thread?
Whom should I ask?

Yes, just ask any of the more active mods, i.e. Bert or woelen. Generally they don't mind moving threads.

MrHomeScientist - 5-3-2015 at 08:55

God yes, the Duran bottle caps with Teflon are like the Holy Grail to me. Super expensive and always bulk, from what I've seen, and I will only ever need a few. I'm definitely in on the bulk purchase idea, and it sounds like you have the infrastructure already set up for buying and distributing which is a barrier that I think has prevented this in the past. Fisher is a good company; I order from them frequently for work.

If you aren't willing to sit on items, however, I think this may be slow going. If one person wants a beaker, he'll have to wait until 10 other people want beakers before the bulk purchase is made. You'd need to keep a list of who wants what, and when the bulk threshold is met for an item you notify everyone that wanted one and check that they still actually need it. If you have the space, I'd recommend buying just one case at a time of several commonly needed (or already requested) items. Make up a spreadsheet of what you have like Dr. Bob did with his stuff. Things like funnels, filter paper, weigh boats, stir bars, reagent bottles - stuff that people go through quickly or need a lot of.

I think it'd be great to have a local bulk distributer able to give us rock bottom prices!

Zombie - 5-3-2015 at 09:23

We can run the "spread sheet" right here...

Post up a link from whatever supplier you all want to purchase from (USA suppliers are best for me.) I don't mind shipping over seas so that's not a problem. It would be silly for me to order from England lets say, and ship here, and then ship back...

If you guys are down for a couple caps already, let's see if 3 more can find homes...

Some of the semantics may be hard to sort like one beaker or three wash bottles but I'm sure it can all work out.
Like I said I don't want to sit on things cause I'm not looking to make money on this. Just passing along the good fortune you all so freely share.

The companies have the goods, and I have the time!

Like I said no chemicals tho... That could get messy fast.

Find the link, post it up, and I'll make a spread sheet kind of post I can edit for all to see, and keep track of.

I U2U'd to have the thread moved...

I'd really like to see this work out for everyone. :D

Magpie - 5-3-2015 at 09:45

This is a good idea Zombie, and very generous of you.

I could use 10 ea Wheaton pre-scored 10 mL glass ampules, as shown on eBay. But eBay sells only in lots of 144 ea. I believe that they are drop-shipped from Wheaton.

Zombie - 5-3-2015 at 09:50

First listing...

http://wheaton.com/10-ml-ampule-clear-pre-scored.html
Item# 176780

Your Price: $90.14
1 CS is 144 EA .6259 cents each (I'll inquire on shipping from them, and set up an account there.)

10 spoken for / Magpie
10-20 zts16
10 more Hellafunt

Texium - 5-3-2015 at 10:32

I'd be interested in 10-20 of those, depending on what my budget is looking like when I'm ready to buy them.

alexleyenda - 5-3-2015 at 10:42

If that bulk purchase thing works, it would be great, it's a really good idea.

Dr.Bob - 5-3-2015 at 11:17

Since I am already doing a lot of shipping, I would be happy to help with a few things like that, if there is enough interest. If there was enough interest to buy things that I don't already have, I could risk buying a few things at a time to sell in smaller quantities. My challenge has been that what people want seems to vary a lot, so trying to get enough people together on a few specific items might be hard. But I would consider it for widely used items. There are many things that I still have that seem to be in low demand, like volumetrics, smaller erlenmeyers, and certain size grad cylinders. But beakers, medium erlenmeryers, and 24/40 rbfs seem to do well here, as ideas for Zombie.

MrHomeScientist/careysub - I still have lots of bottles, but recently found a lined white cap which appears to be pretty resistant for them, but much less expensive that the Duran red PTFE caps (even discounted they run ~$10 each new - http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/product/aldrich/z153958?...). If you are interested in testing a couple, I could let you try them as an independent tester, if they work, I could sell some here.

Does anyone here need 1 ml glass ampules? - I do have some of those. No 10 ml however.

Maybe test tube racks... a case of 12, and split it up... - I have scads of plastic test tube racks in a number of types, and the price is low - most are for 36 or 72 16 mm test tubes, but I have some for ependorf, 2, 4, 8, and 20 ml vials as well. I have been meaning to try to inventory them, but they are scattered across several boxes so I have been bad about sorting them out. I could sell them for a few bucks each plus shipping, which should be low since they are light.
I have ones like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/221642190429?lpid=82&chn=ps

Not trying to compete with Zombie, I won't buy anything someone else is willing to sell, but I am happy to try to help if there are specific items that people can't find easily.

Zombie - 5-3-2015 at 11:23

Quote: Originally posted by zts16  
I'd be interested in 10-20 of those, depending on what my budget is looking like when I'm ready to buy them.

On the list...

Hellafunt - 5-3-2015 at 11:37

count me in for a duran duran cap, haha. and ill take 10 ampules also please.

Zombie - 5-3-2015 at 11:41

First semantic...

I never thought of the others selling equipment here... That is definitely my bad...

Straight up! If Dr. Bob or others have it... Buy it from them first. They are making a living or helping someone.

I am just filling a void in the supply line where I can help people... If this idea will hurt anyone here please let me know what products to stay away from, and that will be the law!

I'll never take bread of someones table.

That said...

Dr. Bob, Do you have enough test tubes maybe w/ lids to fill a rack?
I'd certainly take a rack full, and a second empty rack. If no tubes I'll still buy two racks.

Also one of the eppendorf racks. I JUST ordered 100 20ml vials..., and 50, 50ml vials.

I'll pm you. I'm heading to the bank to make a deposit.

Perfect timing!!!

Zombie - 5-3-2015 at 11:43

Quote: Originally posted by Hellafunt  

Dr. Bobs 1ml ampules or the 10ml Weatons?

Dr.Bob - 5-3-2015 at 12:20

I'm not hurt, just don't want people to pay more for something than they have to. My problem is that I just can't get organized enough to get a complete list, since many of the things I have are loose, or partial lots or mixed all up. I don't want to take on too much, as I am already slow answering some messages. But I am trying to sell as much as I can here, so as to keep the prices low, as Ebay fees are high enough that I have to charge more to sell the same stuff there. And Amazon is even worse, especially since they control everything including the shipping fees.

Zombie - 5-3-2015 at 14:28

Quote: Originally posted by Hellafunt  

On the list

Zombie - 5-3-2015 at 14:30

Quote: Originally posted by Dr.Bob  
I'm not hurt, just don't want people to pay more for something than they have to. My problem is that I just can't get organized enough to get a complete list, since many of the things I have are loose, or partial lots or mixed all up. I don't want to take on too much, as I am already slow answering some messages. But I am trying to sell as much as I can here, so as to keep the prices low, as Ebay fees are high enough that I have to charge more to sell the same stuff there. And Amazon is even worse, especially since they control everything including the shipping fees.

Anything I have to do to avoid stepping on toes, I will.

You all know the lay of the land here, so whatever advice to avoid any issues w/ other site vendors... Let me know. ;)

Zombie - 5-3-2015 at 14:31

It looks like you guys have enough to order these cap things...

Can someone show me a link, and that way we are all on the same page.

OR if this is an item Dr. Bob wants to handle?

Maybe we could team up? I'll find the items, and place the orders, and Dr. Bob takes care of the sales?

I don't want anything out of it so either way... It's all good.

careysub - 5-3-2015 at 17:37

Here is the link to the Duran cap page:
http://www.fishersci.com/ecomm/servlet/Search?keyWord=DURAN%...

(Click the link. You can also just search for Duran Laboratory Premium Caps.)

Do we want the GL25 or the GL45 caps?

Dr. Bob: do you have borosilicate bottles (reagent or media bottles) with these cap sizes?

careysub - 5-3-2015 at 17:39

MrHomeScientist/careysub - I still have lots of bottles, but recently found a lined white cap which appears to be pretty resistant for them, but much less expensive that the Duran red PTFE caps (even discounted they run ~$10 each new - http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/product/aldrich/z153958?...). If you are interested in testing a couple, I could let you try them as an independent tester, if they work, I could sell some here.

Does anyone here need 1 ml glass ampules? - I do have some of those.

Yes I am in the market for some 1 mL ampoules, and am willing to try one of your white capped bottles. (I am in the market for 5 and 10 mL ampoules as well).

[Edited on 6-3-2015 by careysub]

Zombie - 5-3-2015 at 18:11

http://www.fishersci.com/ecomm/servlet/fsproductdetail?store...

That's the page w/ the caps.

Let me know what you wish to do.

If Dr. Bobs are just as good... Go for it.
If you NEED these, we'll hook it up so no ones toes get stepped on.

Dr.Bob - 5-3-2015 at 19:48

Zombie,

If you will check on the 10 ml ampules, I can provide 1 ml ones as long as they last. I will send a sample Schott/Duran type cap to careysub to test along with a few 1 ml ampules. I have included those types caps with a few other orders, if people want to test them out and see how they do, I can get more of those fairly reasonably if people like them. If they work, they would be much cheaper than the Fischer ones, about $2 each, but if not, I would be happy for you to sell the Duram ones. I think Aldrich sells the red Schott caps for less each. I don't have much experience with the white ones Fischer sells, they look similar but slightly different to the ones I have. I also have a couple of the red GL-25 Schott caps (max temp 200 C), and a few GL-14 caps left around.

This has reminded me about a few things I have found recently, which are hard to list.

Similarly, if people want TLC plates, I have some older 20 x 20 cm silica gel glass plates left (analytical 250 um) and preparative plates (1000 um) that I would sell for a fraction of what they would cost new. I had some smaller plates, but have sold them all.

A few other items, I have a variety of plastic droppers left, I have made up about 10 bags of about 50 ea, which contain about 4 or 5 sizes/types each, for $1 each. I have a few complete boxes of a few size left, but the samples would last most people a long time.

I also found a few bags of rubber stoppers recently, sizes 0-5 and then few more from 8-11, plus a few others. I can make up a bag of one or two of every size (about a dozen) I have left for $1 as well. Some are solid, some have one or two holes. I can try to find certain ones for people, but there are many types.

Other items I have bits of are some odd pieces of tubing, odd clamps and hardware, glass and plastic fittings/Tees/Ys, random caps and lids for many vials, and so much more. So if people just need a few of something, let me know and I can look for it. No assurances, but if I have it, I will sell it cheap or often just for the postage. I just need to get a lot of this stuff out of my house eventually.

Zombie - 5-3-2015 at 19:57

Zombie,

If you will check on the 10 ml ampules, I can provide 1 ml ones as long as they last. I will send a sample Schott/Duran type cap to careysub to test along with a few 1 ml ampules. I have included those types caps with a few other orders, if people want to test them out and see how they do, I can get more of those fairly reasonably if people like them. If they work, they would be much cheaper than the Fischer ones, about $2 each, but if not, I would be happy for you to sell the Duram ones. I think Aldrich sells the red Schott caps for less each. I don't have much experience with the white ones Fischer sells, they look similar but slightly different to the ones I have. I also have a couple of the red GL-25 Schott caps (max temp 200 C), and a few GL-14 caps left around.

This has reminded me about a few things I have found recently, which are hard to list.

Similarly, if people want TLC plates, I have some older 20 x 20 cm silica gel glass plates left (analytical 250 um) and preparative plates (1000 um) that I would sell for a fraction of what they would cost new. I had some smaller plates, but have sold them all.

A few other items, I have a variety of plastic droppers left, I have made up about 10 bags of about 50 ea, which contain about 4 or 5 sizes/types each, for $1 each. I have a few complete boxes of a few size left, but the samples would last most people a long time.

I also found a few bags of rubber stoppers recently, sizes 0-5 and then few more from 8-11, plus a few others. I can make up a bag of one or two of every size (about a dozen) I have left for $1 as well. Some are solid, some have one or two holes. I can try to find certain ones for people, but there are many types.

Other items I have bits of are some odd pieces of tubing, odd clamps and hardware, glass and plastic fittings/Tees/Ys, random caps and lids for many vials, and so much more. So if people just need a few of something, let me know and I can look for it. No assurances, but if I have it, I will sell it cheap or often just for the postage. I just need to get a lot of this stuff out of my house eventually.

You're a true gentleman Dr. Bob.

I'm very happy to have run across you, and this site.

As I get my "Purchase Approvals" from the Mrs... We may shift a lot of those items from your house to mine! :D

Edit: Hers!!! (she saw this):mad:

[Edited on 3-6-2015 by Zombie]

Dr.Bob - 6-3-2015 at 06:18

I have some media bottles left in GL45, a few 100, 250, maybe a 500, and several 1000 ml ones.

I think I have a box of more of them somewhere. I'll try to find them and put them in the inventory. Many did not have caps, which is why I looked around to find more caps, but the white ones I found seem like they are pretty good. They have a Teflon liner, just not sure if the white plastic is as good as the hard red caps for chemical resistance. I know that it handles CHCl3 well.

Bob

careysub - 6-3-2015 at 07:09

I have some media bottles left in GL45, a few 100, 250, maybe a 500, and several 1000 ml ones.

I think I have a box of more of them somewhere. I'll try to find them and put them in the inventory. Many did not have caps, which is why I looked around to find more caps, but the white ones I found seem like they are pretty good. They have a Teflon liner, just not sure if the white plastic is as good as the hard red caps for chemical resistance. I know that it handles CHCl3 well.

Bob

The employ Woelen's electrolysis bromine procedure it looks two bottles are called for, a large one for the initial bromine formation reaction (which involves a few hundred mL of solution), and a small one to eventually store the separated bromine in.

So a 1000 mL (or 500 mL) and a 100 mL bottle would be called for.

MrHomeScientist - 6-3-2015 at 09:03

I had to do a little research but I think those caps will work. They didn't look at all like the ones I was thinking of. This is what I originally had in mind: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bromine#mediaviewer/File:Bromin...

Some time ago woelen sent me a link to a seller in the Netherlands (I think) that sells what he uses: http://www.hinmeijer.nl/product/120696/Dop_met_verzegelring....
Option 2 is the red cap with Teflon liner.

After looking at the Schott Duran website, I think the Fisher caps are the same. Teflon lined at least. I have a few 100mL Pyrex media bottles that I would use the caps for, and I believe they are GL45. So this one: http://www.fishersci.com/ecomm/servlet/itemdetail?storeId=10...

I'd want 2-3 of them. I would also take 20-30 10mL ampoules.

Edit: after actually reading the thread, I was also concerned that the white caps aren't as high quality as the hard plastic blue/red ones. It might be the case that all that really matters is the seal between the liner and bottle.

[Edited on 3-6-2015 by MrHomeScientist]

Magpie - 6-3-2015 at 10:23

Quote: Originally posted by MrHomeScientist  
It might be the case that all that really matters is the seal between the liner and bottle.

This is the same question I have. I have been buying 100 mL amber bottles from Qorpak. These have the ptfe cap liner and come in both narrow mouth and wide mouth. They are sold by the case of 24 ea. These bottles don't look as rugged as those offered by Schott-Duran, ie, the caps aren't as beefy. I have been satisfied with them except in the case of bromine. For bromine I have decided to go with the Wheaton 10 mL ampules.

I tried to attach a picture of my bottles but it would not upload.

Zombie please put me down for an additional 10ea of the 10mL ampules for a total of 20.

[Edited on 6-3-2015 by Magpie]

Qorpak bottles 1.jpg - 94kB

Zombie - 6-3-2015 at 10:28

First listing...

http://wheaton.com/10-ml-ampule-clear-pre-scored.html
Item# 176780

Your Price: $90.14
1 CS is 144 EA .6259 cents each (I'll inquire on shipping from them, and set up an account there.)

10 spoken for / Magpie
10-20 zts16
10 more Hellafunt
20-30 MrHomeScientist

Caps... http://www.fishersci.com/ecomm/servlet/itemdetail?storeId=10...

2 MrHomeScientist
1 Hellafunt

Magpie 20 ampules.

Molecular Manipulations - 6-3-2015 at 10:29

Too bad I already bought a bunch of ampules... Paid way too much for them.
If you order any flasks and condensers put me down for two 500 mL RBFs and a Liebig. Just had a little accident that cost my both of my condensers and three RBFs.:o
Actually I just found an old piece of junk rubber stopperized distillation apparatus I've had for years, exactly the same as this:
So at least I can distill water...:D

[Edited on 6-3-2015 by Molecular Manipulations]

314dk+sKlBL._SX342_.jpg - 9kB

Zombie - 6-3-2015 at 10:45

Hopefully one of you smart fellas can help me come up with a way to "spreadsheet this.

I just had to re-read all of it to move a few ampules to this page.

Is there a way that the entire forum could add items to a single post?

Let's say I go to NY for a week this whole thing would collapse under it's own weight.

Also we have to focus on one item at a time.
I'd have to sell my house to fund multiple orders, and wait for the money via paypal.

Remember this is a NON PROFIT deal.
Both the ampules, and the caps are close.

How do we organize this to self sustain on one order page? When a category is complete I place the order... Maybe a third party site like a photo share thing?

Suggestions?

Molecular Manipulations - 6-3-2015 at 10:49

I'd have to sell my house to fund multiple orders, and wait for the money via paypal.

What you can do is request the money as "paying friends or family". That way you get the cash as soon as it's sent. I wouldn't mind paying up front either. Or at least for the shipping.

Zombie - 6-3-2015 at 11:05

I understand...

There are too many things that could go wrong for me to ask for money up front.
People respect me for who I am, and I would never risk that.

I can afford o spend a hundred or two, and wait for shipping / paypal... That's not an issue.

Keeping track of who / what is.

We need a common page to list an item, and let members add their own submission.

Is such a thing possible on the forum? Maybe someone has a web site they could dedicate a page to for a single item order?
When that order is filled the page is deleted, and a new item listed via members demand?

Molecular Manipulations - 6-3-2015 at 11:14

Maybe we could create an official account for this on this site, and everyone who has a certain criteria (eg. over 200 posts, access to whimsy or both) can have the password to add listings to the post all under the same username. I'm not sure how it could be kept open to edit long enough for everyone who wants to post something in it. Maybe the limit would be the 24 hour editing limit, or mod could change the settings to a longer period of time or something? Each order would have it's own post.

Zombie - 6-3-2015 at 11:17

That's what I am talking about!

Who would be the "go to" person for this?

careysub - 6-3-2015 at 11:22

Here is one way we could do this (there may be better ones):

Zombie creates an SM user for ordering.

Orders are placed by U2U to the ordering agent user.

Zombie creates a public spreadsheet on Google Drive that everyone can view.

Orders are entered into the spreadsheet as received (item, number, user) by Zombie, users can check the spreadsheet to see if the ordering info is correct.

When an item category is complete he can place the order.

When the order is placed, it is erased from the spreadsheet (optional step, but desirable I think)

Zombie - 6-3-2015 at 11:27

Well that still leaves me in the center, and as a potential weak link in the chain.

The U2U's could get massive, and lets say I took a week off for Vaca...

A common page is the way to go. Everyone having equal access, and a simple user name / order amount is all we need.

New account

Official sock-puppet - 6-3-2015 at 11:51

This is the official shared account. I gave Zombie the passcode.
This is Molecular Manipulations.

[Edited on 7-3-2015 by Official sock-puppet]

Zombie - 6-3-2015 at 12:53

Now we have to see if Admin can set up a no time limit for editing that page.

Reality is we only need ONE page for an order spread sheet. Not a 700 page thread...

Who is in charge of the site settings?

Molecular Manipulations - 6-3-2015 at 13:01

Polverone can make any changes if he wants/knows how to. I'd contact him. He usually doesn't respond within several days in my experience but I think he logs in everyday.

Zombie - 6-3-2015 at 13:21

I just PM'd Mr. Polverone...

We'll see what he thinks.

morganbw - 7-3-2015 at 03:53

I am following this thread closely.
Will wait to see if the logistics can be worked out.
Super COOL idea.

[Edited on 7-3-2015 by morganbw]

Zombie - 7-3-2015 at 07:47

Just waiting on Admin...

I have to say I am impressed w/ the number, and quality of members here that like this idea. I have gotten Lots of U2U messages, and everyone of them is positive.

I have NO ISSUES doing this to help out. All we really need is ONE common page for an "order sheet".

There have been a TON of ideas on how/ who / when / where / what to do.

If Admin can help us out w/ a common page or suggest a way to do this, I will leave it up to all of you to set the "rules" as it were.

It's your site, and you know best what will work here.

Thanks to all of you for reaching out. I'd like to see this work for all of us.

Texium - 7-3-2015 at 11:45

I have a few of Dr. Bob's white caps from an order last year. I've been using them for HCl, HNO3, acetone, and ammonia, and they've kept these notoriously volatile/aggressive substances in their places. I don't have anything more mean to test them with though.

Etaoin Shrdlu - 7-3-2015 at 14:19

Just use Google Docs...

Zombie - 7-3-2015 at 14:58

I've never used or heard of Google Docs... I'll look it up!

Thanks!

Edit:
Ok, I just watched a Youtube vid on G. Docs.

It looks like it will work for us.

I could create the page, and everyone that wishes to be included in that order can U2U me, and I will add your Email to the share list.

That way you have access to add your forum user name, and the quantity of that item. When the order amount is full I u2u everyone to be SURE you are ready, and still need the item.

I place the order, and post the conformation on docs.
Remember there will be a shipping fee (in most cases) from the vendor that we all split.

Then there is the shipping fee, and insurance fee when I ship it to you. No one wants broken or lost items no matter how low the price so I think Insc should be mandatory.

Now this is just MY opinion but I would like all of you to determine who gets to participate, and at what point.

I don't want to be a dick because the most honest person here might only have 5 posts. Vice versa I had 100 posts in two days, and I could be the anti Christ.

I'm the only one that stands to get burnt because a a good faith gesture I am not asking for pre payments. You all don't know me.

My first thought is... Does this site have a "Donate" button that I missed or a charity or institute it supports?
I am thinking that everyone that wants to participate in these bulk buys can do so by donating a small fee, maybe 10-20 bucks (one time) to Science madness or some institute they support.

It's just a thought... I need input from everyone, Especially Admin. I still have no reply to my questions on the whole idea...

Why don't you all throw some ideas...

One last thing... MY only rule is if someone stiffs, I pull the plug. No offense meant.
Accidents happen, People hit hard times, understood.
If someone does hit a rough patch I can live with that. Allowances will be made. Ought-right stiffs? Suck, and will be called out.

If this sounds close to do able w/ everyone... I'm down.
Throw out your thoughts, and lets see if this can work.

[Edited on 3-7-2015 by Zombie]

Zombie - 10-3-2015 at 09:27

Loptr gave me an idea...

There are a few fellas here selling equipment. MOST of those threads get lost in cyberspace, and I for one have a hell of a time with the search results.

I know NOTHING about G. Docs, and I am not sure but I believe anyone here can create a new 4 sale sheet.

The Document page can be used as an "Index", and every member here wishing to sell or trade something can post their own sheet. Of course the owner of that sheet IS the owner, and sets his or her own permissions.

Any thoughts on the whole concept are welcome. Others here know much more about G.Docs than I do.

Feel free to suggest ways to make the idea work for everyone. This is the only reason I offered the idea.

Loptr - 10-3-2015 at 11:58

I would like to put some things up when I get the time, considering I have now acquired several hundred pieces of glassware, odds and ends mostly, such as 19/22 & 24/40 three-way distillation adapters, gas outlet adapters, vacuum adapters, elbow adapters, U-shape and related adapters, glass/teflon/plastic stoppers, fritted glass dispersion tubes combined with adsorption tubes 24/40, quite a few Synthware two-neck 500 mL RBFs, safety-coated amber boston rounds (Fisherbrand), Kimble Opticlear 18.5 and 30 mL screw cap vials with caps, VWR 16mm test tube racks (plastic), Kimble 16x125mm screw cap vials, Wheaton Reagent Bottles 30ml with ground glass stoppers, corning spatulas, Fisher neutral and red litmus papers, Kimble volumetric flasks, etc., etc., and quite a few other things.

I just don't have the time to go through and list everything! :)

[Edited on 10-3-2015 by Loptr]

Texium - 10-3-2015 at 12:03

Nice, Loptr, I'd love to check some of that stuff out. I have most of the glassware that I need, but I've really been wanting a fritted gas dispersion tube and some other odds and ends.

Zombie - 10-3-2015 at 13:50

Let me know If I have to do anything ie: Permissions wise to help set this up.

Any G. Doc's power users on the forum?

Loptr... I'm gonna end up buying some of your gear. Distillation, and vacuum bits are on my radar.

Also if no one has seen the "Sheet"... If you scroll down the page there is room to add supplies to Bulk Buys...

If you want to add something just leave room for the prior item to fill up.
As items are ordered I will delete the ordered item. That way we can recycle the sheet.

Please try to keep the "wish list items under 200.00 USD. I ask nothing in advance, and I think 200.00 is reasonable.

thanks