Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Bulk buy page created. Are you ready...

Zombie - 8-3-2015 at 10:21

I set up a Google Docs order page. There is a Home Document, and the Order page is listed under "Sheets".

Members wishing to join in these orders can U2U me, and I will add your Email to the "Share" feature on G. Docs.

You log on to http://www.google.com/docs/about/

You can open the "Home Page" or navigate directly to "Sheets" to add your order.

I started with the 10Ml Ampules because there are more people interested in these.

We can easily add another product, and I would like you all to feel free to add the products you want.

The other thread on this subject has a pretty good list of buyers so far so please u2u me for the addition to the page, and add your info.

We'll see how well this works. Thanks... :D

I'm new to documents of any sort so I had to view this... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzftoXrNn0Q

I'm sure there will be a million questions on how to use Docs. PLEASE ask them HERE, I won't know the technical answers.

I do think you will need a Google Email to use this but I am not sure.

Good luck to all of us!

Amos - 8-3-2015 at 15:03

I'm pretty sure you can just make the docs public and allow access to everyone, if that's something you might consider doing. Then you could just hand out permissions to edit.

[Edited on 3-8-2015 by Amos]

Molecular Manipulations - 8-3-2015 at 15:31

We decided not everyone should have access automatically, each person has to ask individually to be added.

aga - 8-3-2015 at 15:50

Sounds like a Con.

Zombie - 8-3-2015 at 16:05

Only if you pre pay... Then I take the money, and split.

I can use a 20 spot.

Amos...
I'm pretty sure you can just make the docs public and allow access to everyone, if that's something you might consider doing. Then you could just hand out permissions to edit.

I Think it works out the same way... Either way I have to edit.
I don't think it would be in my best interest to have a member sign up, order 10 bucks worth of whatever, I pay for it, pay for shipping, and then the member is never seen again.

I'm not rich, but I can afford to lay out a couple hundred at a time to help out.

I've done the same thing on Kymco Forum for years. Members can order thru me for dealer pricing, I charge nothing more than the price on the dealer sheets, and get paid AFTER the member gets his / her gear.

aga - 8-3-2015 at 16:09

Sounds More like a Con.

Zombie - 8-3-2015 at 16:17

When you figure it out PM me, and we'll split the profits.

Here comes another "thumper" thread...:(

Molecular Manipulations - 8-3-2015 at 16:37

Quote: Originally posted by aga  
Sounds More like a Con.

Sounds like someone's pissed cause he didn't think of it first!

Amos - 8-3-2015 at 17:23

Quote: Originally posted by Molecular Manipulations  
Sounds More like a Con.

Sounds like the ravings of a drunkard.

Zombie - 8-3-2015 at 17:34

Quote: Originally posted by Amos  
Quote: Originally posted by Molecular Manipulations  
Sounds More like a Con.

Sounds like the ravings of a drunkard.

What's that with wrong, why don't you? boy o boy! :D

17cfb002dafef4e368c5f200a903dee403c15c424f10613d4ec052d20f72d651.jpg - 52kB

Molecular Manipulations - 8-3-2015 at 17:44

Quote: Originally posted by Zombie  

Here comes another "thumper" thread...:(

You asked for if, get what you deserve:

image.jpg - 63kB

Zombie - 8-3-2015 at 20:57

That's funny! ;););)

aga - 9-3-2015 at 15:59

Ravings of an already ripped off Drunkard. Stat.

Zombie - 9-3-2015 at 18:27

What happened?

Zephyr - 10-3-2015 at 15:11

Anyone interested in bulk ordering some beakers with me?
So far the best deal I've found is $2.61 per 250ml beaker.

aga - 10-3-2015 at 15:16

Send me your money.

All of it.

I'll take care of it for you.

I will. Honest.

Edit:

5% discount if you get a friend to send all of their money to me as well.

Edit:

Sending $1 isn't OK. $1,000s , preferrably 10s of $k only,

[Edited on 10-3-2015 by aga]

Zombie - 10-3-2015 at 15:18

There are 250Ml beakers on the sheet.

See if your price is better. I haven't looked but I believe they are close.

Have you checked w/ Dr. Bob?
I think he has 250's for even less.

Edit:
Everything I bought from him is like NEW quality.

I can't speak for every item he has but I'd look to him if you want them quickly...

[Edited on 3-10-2015 by Zombie]

Zephyr - 10-3-2015 at 15:42

I put those on the list...
And thanks for the tip, I'll ask Dr.Bob.

Dr.Bob - 10-3-2015 at 19:47

If you can find beakers for $2.61 each, that is great, I would buy them.

There are some cheap one on Amazon at the url below at 12/$20.95 with free shipping over $40, so 2 cases or 24 beakers would be $42 total or just under $2 each. The description says "High quality inert 3.3 borosilicate glass". I don;t know if they are good quality or not, but the price is right.

http://www.amazon.com/SEOH-Beaker-Borosilicate-Glass-Graduat...

Real Pyrex beakers are cheaper now then ever, see
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PYREX-Griffin-Low-Form-250mL-Beaker-...

But they charge more for shipping than the beaker. If they offer shipping deals, it might be worth it. Or if there was someone close enough to them to buy a bunch. The same company sells their own brand of beaker for about $2, so I would be tempted to go with the real Pyrex if going from them.

I looked further, and the calculated shipping on 12 Pyrex beakers is as little as $8-10 for 12, which is under $ each for new beakers. We pay over $6 each before shipping where I work... The place is in Navasota, Texas - someone there might be able to pick them up free, not sure where that is. Is people were interested, I could buy a few dozen of them and still sell new ones for $4 or less. We get ripped off at work, as we buy them from scientific places (liek VWR and Fisher) with a "huge" and "special" discount of the list price of like $12 each.

I just looked at SEOH further, and they have some great prices and even some chemicals. So it is either the home chemists best friend or a government front. I could easily find out with an order if people are interested enough in beakers or other items. If you want more than 12 of a size, it would makes sense to direct order them, if you want a few of each, it might be easier to order in bulk and then repackage and reship.

See their 2990 items at:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/seoh_corporation/m.html?_nkw=&_a...

[Edited on 11-3-2015 by Dr.Bob]

Zombie - 10-3-2015 at 19:55

I would stay away from the Amazon glassware.

The first set I purchased was Amazon, @ $249.00 for a fair amount of glass.

Problem was EVERY piece had flaws, and air bubbles in the glass. My grandson now has a room full of Amazon glassware. It would have cost me 40 bucks to ship it back PLUS a fee.

No more Amazon deals for me.

Etaoin Shrdlu - 10-3-2015 at 20:08

Quote: Originally posted by Dr.Bob  
I just looked at SEOH further, and they have some great prices and even some chemicals. So it is either the home chemists best friend or a government front.

They've been good with me.

warteo - 10-3-2015 at 22:56

I'm looking to get some PTFE lined PBT GL45 caps (the red ones). If someone else is interested in the same could you please make a sheet for them? I'd make it myself but being outside the US I really have no idea which seller would be best to go with for these.

Zombie - 11-3-2015 at 02:21

Can one of you find that link to them again PLEASE. I spent 10 minutes looking, and I forget where it is.

I know those are sold out to fill an order...

Edit:
Found the link, and added the product.
They are not Red tho. Same cap but no color added.

Let me know if these are the correct caps.

[Edited on 3-11-2015 by Zombie]

warteo - 11-3-2015 at 03:52

Quote: Originally posted by Zombie  
Can one of you find that link to them again PLEASE. I spent 10 minutes looking, and I forget where it is.

I know those are sold out to fill an order...

Edit:
Found the link, and added the product.
They are not Red tho. Same cap but no color added.

Let me know if these are the correct caps.

Thanks for looking them up for me. Those ones should work fine but seem to be about twice the cost of the ones I was thinking of.

I had planned to decant my nitric acid from its large bottle with old cap into several more manageable smaller ones with new caps. Now I think it is going to be far cheaper and easier to convert what I have into nitrate(s) and simply purchase a smaller new bottle of acid instead.

So, hope you won't mind if I skip getting the caps this time.

Dr.Bob - 11-3-2015 at 05:30

The Schott/Duran caps are all listed in the PDF below, the red caps were the old premium ones, the colorless ones are the new premium ones, but twice the price. Look at page 8.

http://www.us.schott.com/labware/english/download/bottles_ca...

Aldrich sells the red ones for about $10 each:

http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/product/aldrich/z153958?...

I am sure that other places sell them as well. Google "red PBT (with PTFE seal) GL45 Duran" to find several sources. They might even be on Ebay, but I have not seen them much.

I have a few GL25 and smaller caps in the red PBT plastic, but only a few GL45, but they are missing the cap liner.

[Edited on 11-3-2015 by Dr.Bob]

Dr.Bob - 11-3-2015 at 09:16

I talked to the people at SEOH and they got me a great deal on Pyrex brand 250 ml beakers for a test run. I can buy them below $4 each, which lets me sell them brand new at $4 ea. If I can get enough interest in other sizes, I could get a larger order and cut the prices even more. They seem like a great company, even their own brand of beakers is barely less than that price. So if anyone wants some, let me know, and I will be happy to provide them, if people want other sizes, let me know and I will try to iron out pricing for the other sizes. But the 250 is the most common size, so the smaller ones are actually slightly higher each, that is the lowest priced size currently.

If I buy those same beakers at work, we pay more than that, way more with shipping, after two "discounts". So I think you will be hard pressed to find a better deal, and I could get them down to about $3 ea with volume.

Loptr - 11-3-2015 at 10:22

Another company that I dealt with when I first started playing around with chemistry as a hobby is Karter Scientific. The quality of the glassware is good, and with uniform thickness and no deformed bottoms, etc. One of my early tests was to see if the glassware sat flat on the desk if it was meant to sit. The glassware has survived quite a few times attacks by hot plate and have not had an issue yet. In fact, any time I use a beaker, it's typically one of my Karter stock. I have others, but they were more expensive, and I wouldn't feel right using them at this time.

Here you can buy a pack of 48 250 mL low form beakers for $35.56, which comes out to $0.74 a piece.

http://www.kartersci.com/250ml_Glass_Beaker_Low_Form_Karter_...

If you want low price, it's definitely out there. I do recommend the Karter Sci stuff as I do have some.

Also, I did have an SEOH glass funnel and the stem broke off pretty easily early on, so I have stayed away since.

[Edited on 11-3-2015 by Loptr]

Dr.Bob - 11-3-2015 at 12:46

Wow, for that price I could stop washing beakers, almost. I am sure it is imported, but even the Pyrex ones come from Germany (at least it's an ally currently...). It would make more sense for that price for people to just buy them directly, as the shipping would be more than the beakers.

But that is the good part about this thread, I have found more sources of labware that I had seen in years. I had come across SEOH before on Amazon, but their prices are much better now than before, especially if you skip using Amazon for them. They used to sell (back 5+ years ago) cheap beakers there for much more than they do now.

If people know of good sources of lab ware, please share it. I have seen a lot of discussions about chemicals, but way fewer on supplies and glassware.

Loptr - 11-3-2015 at 12:52

I think Karter Scientific is Lake Charles Manufacturing. First glance, it seems their site might have more pieces for sale.

http://www.lcmlab.com/Beakers_s/234.htm

Zombie - 11-3-2015 at 13:01

DesChem, China.

I found them on Ebay but contacted them direct

http://www.deschem.com.cn/eindex.asp

They offer FREE shipping on orders over $139.00

10% discount if you can state you are either a business or affiliated with one.

They make all their own, and it is beautiful.
I ordered a lot of glass from them. I have a pretty complete set of 24/29 flasks, rbf's, 50Ml distillation rig, and their stirrer hot plate (100*C).

It took less than three weeks in shipping (17 days), everything was packed perfectly, and I paid under 350.00 for everything. If you like Old School, I bought a 1000Ml Kipps apparatus for $49.00 two weeks later. They shipped it free due to my last, and future orders.

Tim is the contact that replies to Emails.

Between them, and Dr. Bob... I've had to re-do my storage space. I just finished adding an 8 tier glass storage closet. Now I have paint to clean off my keyboard.

Loptr - 16-3-2015 at 10:55

Anybody else interested in the 10 mL ampoules? They are currently at $0.53/piece.

So, if you are interested, jump on board so we can get this thing moving! ;)

I am interested in acquiring 50 of them.

[Edited on 16-3-2015 by Loptr]

Elemental Scientific Sale

tomholm - 17-3-2015 at 19:03

Hi All,

I just wanted to mention that Elemental is having a March Madness Sale - 15% off of everything until the end of the month. I'm mentioning this in this thread because I think the sale may offer better pricing on many products than you are able to get elsewhere and you don't have to buy bulk. I just calculated prices for 250 ml beakers, for example.

250 ml beaker (Pyrex/Kimax) - $3.72
250 ml beaker (borosiicate) - $2.85

The other thing I hope you keep in mind is shipping costs, both inbound and outbound. It really adds up quickly, especially if you are not shipping large quantities.

Lastly, perhaps I can offer some bulk pricing for your project here.

Thx.

Tom
Elemental Scientific

Zombie - 17-3-2015 at 20:37

That is great of you to help us out here. Everyone has found that good products are not inexpensive.

Every little bit helps, and I'm sure your efforts will be appreciated. Thanks!

careysub - 17-3-2015 at 23:51

Pretty much if Elemental has what I need, I buy it there.

Texium - 18-3-2015 at 08:29

I'd be interested in some 100 mL beakers. I need about 3-5 for myself, depending on how good of a deal you can find.
Also, can you please share a link to the doc? If you just post the link, then everyone with it can see it, but can't edit it. Otherwise we can't get to it.

Loptr - 18-3-2015 at 08:34

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GUT_X30EpKMC4e7JouVz...

You still need to request access.

[Edited on 18-3-2015 by Loptr]

Zombie - 18-3-2015 at 13:12

Send me a U2U, and I will add you to the list.

You can then edit / add / remove items as you wish.

Please try to keep added "wish list" stuff under 200.00 USD cause I have to lay it out, and collect after it is all shipped / received.

If anyone has a better method for doing this... speak up.

Texium - 19-3-2015 at 07:08

Alright, I just added the 100 mL beakers to the list. I went with the same kind as the 250 mL ones that were already on there. I figured that it would be easier and possibly less expensive to order them all from the same source. Unfortunately, they seem to be more expensive than the 250 mL ones. I guess they're harder to make or something. I also signed up for a 250 mL beaker and some ampoules.