Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Guanidine Carbonate and Hydroxide

AlphitO - 11-3-2015 at 03:41

Hello,

I'm trying to extract guanidine hydroxide of a solution with guanidine carbonate too. But i couldn't find any information to help me about some extrator for ONLY guanidine hydroxide. Some help/tips?

Tdep - 11-3-2015 at 04:12

Convert it all to guanidine nitrate and then all to the hydroxide?

AlphitO - 11-3-2015 at 07:57

Quote: Originally posted by Tdep  
Convert it all to guanidine nitrate and then all to the hydroxide?

I want to know how much i have of guanidine hydroxide and how much of guanidine carbonate. There is some pappers showing the guanidine hydroxide, after some reaction with guanidine carbonate as reactant, going back to the carbonate form. So, i need to extract my hydroxide (that is my product of interest) from the solution to stop it before it turn out to the carbonate form.

Boffis - 11-3-2015 at 08:44

Guanidine hydroxide is an equilibrium mixture like ammonia solution and so in solution exists as a mixture of guanidine base, water and guanidine hydroxide. I don't have equilibrium data to hand but since the solution is strongly basic the hydroxide ion concentration must be fairly high (higher than with ammonia solution).

However, guanidine solution is unstable and needs to be used fairly quickly.

It can be prepared from the carbonate solution by treatment with barium or calcium hydroxide and filtering off the alkaline metal carbonate or it can be prepared from the chloride by shaking with excess silver oxide.