Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Reactions with Chlorophyll

DFliyerz - 21-3-2015 at 13:47

I decided to try making some chlorophyll (presumably mainly A) from leaves and acetone, and it turned out pretty well. Now I'm wondering, are there any interesting reactions that I can do with chlorophyll?

ISCGora - 21-3-2015 at 13:52

I know you can do fluorescence of Chlorophyll but I am not sure about any chemical involving experiments.

aga - 21-3-2015 at 15:42

Return the chlorophyll to where it came from, then capture Energy from Sunlight.

Now that is one of the most amazing chemistry tricks ever.

Amos - 21-3-2015 at 17:08

I recently did a two part extraction of what I hope is mostly chlorophyll from flowers and buds of a red maple tree using diethyl ether, and I also got a separate solution of various other dyes and components from the flowers using methanol. I plan to do some tests with the chlorophyll, and I'll let you know if I find anything cool.

Oh, and a previous attempt to extract chlorophyll went just fine for me, but it degraded into a brown-colored mess after a few weeks. If you want to try some experimentation with the chlorophyll, I would suggest doing it soon.

[Edited on 3-22-2015 by Amos]

PHILOU Zrealone - 22-3-2015 at 13:33

Quote: Originally posted by Amos  
I recently did a two part extraction of what I hope is mostly chlorophyll from flowers and buds of a red maple tree using diethyl ether, and I also got a separate solution of various other dyes and components from the flowers using methanol. I plan to do some tests with the chlorophyll, and I'll let you know if I find anything cool.

Oh, and a previous attempt to extract chlorophyll went just fine for me, but it degraded into a brown-colored mess after a few weeks. If you want to try some experimentation with the chlorophyll, I would suggest doing it soon.

[Edited on 3-22-2015 by Amos]

Or avoid exposure of your extract to air/O2!

Amos - 22-3-2015 at 18:33

Quote: Originally posted by PHILOU Zrealone  

Or avoid exposure of your extract to air/O2!

I kept it in a tightly sealed vial but that must not have been enough:(