Sciencemadness Discussion Board

If that's not enough

franklyn - 29-4-2015 at 11:07

Endangering a Lava Lake

Why isn't anyone burning down the town over this ?

http://news.yahoo.com/ranger-uses-stun-gun-man-operating-dro...

If that's not enough

http://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/240365-senators...

We have secret courts and secret science now, can secret laws and legislation be far behind.

DraconicAcid - 29-4-2015 at 11:09

People aren't burning down the town because he's still alive. The park rangers haven't, as far as I can tell, killed over a hundred people in the past five years.

aga - 29-4-2015 at 11:21

Secret science has always been going on, as has secret war, secret politics - you name it.

I just feel it great loss of a perfectly good QuadCopter (not a damned Drone).

Edit :

I own several remote-controlled model aircraft, of which two are QuadCopters, the rest HeliCopters.

Seeing as the word 'Drone' can be substituted so easily for a real word, i'm going to start calling them all by the generic term 'Schlong'.

If you see a news item in the future about some bloke Tasered for crashing his Schlong into a volcano, you will know who it was.

[Edited on 29-4-2015 by aga]

Loptr - 29-4-2015 at 11:38

Well, you actually have to live in Oakland, CA in order for town burning to begin...

Also, I would be more afraid of the lava lake doing damage than a RC drone.

Quote:
"He was described as being very unpredictable, belligerent," Ferracane said of Sanders. "The ranger felt he needed to be stopped for the safety of himself and others."

Very unpredictable? What would you have to do to be unpredictable? Unpredictable is sitting there flying your RC drone when a Park Ranger starts yelling at you for flying it and then tazes you... who would have seen that coming?

Quote:

Sanders, 35, of Pahoa, Hawaii, was arrested and cited with interfering with agency functions and operating an aircraft on undesignated land. He was taken to a Hawaii County police cellblock where he spent the night and was released in the morning on $500 bond, Ferracane said. He has a July 22 court date.

So quadcopters are aircraft now? Wouldn't that mean he would need an FAA license? And what does designated land look like? Does it say designated land? Or is there a general law about RC drones on national sites?

franklyn, don't you know secret science is where the secret sauce comes from--it's good, just trust me. In all seriousness though, if the science behind a ruling is classified or FOUO, should the ruling be able to go into effect? That would effectively shun any public outcry, as it would turn into a case of "we know whats good for you, and I don't have to explain myself". So perhaps this is a move in the right direction.

[Edited on 29-4-2015 by Loptr]

aga - 29-4-2015 at 11:45

I'd like to point out that the term 'A Ranger' refers to a testosterone pumped under-achiever in this case.

Oh, one of those with a badge and a Tazer.

They decided that a Real Gun would be a bad idea, in case he used it for litter offences.

Personally i think people should be killed for litter offences, but that's just me.

(Ranger does not mean Chuck Norris)

blogfast25 - 29-4-2015 at 12:07

It's a little ironic that a country with the adage 'Home of the brave, land of the free' has such a propensity for incarcerating, executing, shooting and tazering its own citizens...

Chemosynthesis - 29-4-2015 at 13:06

Clear connection to amateur science?

I don't know about Honolulu, but many national parks aren't in prime real estate burning areas if that even is a viable reaction.

Zombie - 29-4-2015 at 15:14

Quote: Originally posted by aga  

Seeing as the word 'Drone' can be substituted so easily for a real word, i'm going to start calling them all by the generic term 'Schlong'.

If you see a news item in the future about some bloke Tasered for crashing his Schlong into a volcano, you will know who it was.

You can not use "Schlong". I own the word.

I'll have my lawyer contact you first thing Monday morning.
Also if you wish to describe the volcano I suggest you do NOT use the copyrighted term "That's H@t"

Thank God for Paris Hilton.

macckone - 29-4-2015 at 22:51

The tasing was probably an overreaction but drones are covered under FAA flight rules. And you generally can't fly in restricted air space. As a drone pilot you are required to abide by those restrictions. If you refuse to cooperate in getting your ticket, they can arrest you. And no the restrictions on drones are not excessive. You are generally prohibited from flying them too high, too far away from the operator, or in a manner that may alarm or harm the general public or damage property.

As for the 'publically accessible' requirement, the goal is to prevent the EPA from using data that is not free to the general public. This includes most science in peer reviewed journals. Obviously I want more free science articles but banning the use of most science in government decisions is really bad.

Loptr - 30-4-2015 at 03:57

Quote: Originally posted by macckone  
The tasing was probably an overreaction but drones are covered under FAA flight rules. And you generally can't fly in restricted air space. As a drone pilot you are required to abide by those restrictions. If you refuse to cooperate in getting your ticket, they can arrest you. And no the restrictions on drones are not excessive. You are generally prohibited from flying them too high, too far away from the operator, or in a manner that may alarm or harm the general public or damage property.

As for the 'publically accessible' requirement, the goal is to prevent the EPA from using data that is not free to the general public. This includes most science in peer reviewed journals. Obviously I want more free science articles but banning the use of most science in government decisions is really bad.

I understand the publically accessible requirement now. I guess I have a different definition of what constitutes "publically accessible", which doesn't exclude the access via paying for it.

Yeah, if they aren't able to use peer-reviewed published journals, then you would seriously be hindering any scientific operation.

[Edited on 30-4-2015 by Loptr]

The Volatile Chemist - 30-4-2015 at 12:07

Honestly, if it was a guy ranger, and not a girl, he would have probably just tacked him, and everything would be OK :)

jock88 - 30-4-2015 at 13:19

Drones are now required to have information built into them to stop them flying accross borders (mexican drugs etc) and in the area around Washington DC.
They might add the lava lake GPS data!

aga - 30-4-2015 at 14:13

There are 'Drones' available quite cheaply these days.

You just put in the GPS co-ordinates of where you want it to go, and it goes there.

Most of the 'drones-that-are-not-drones' out there are Tri/Quad/Octo Copters that require a human pilot with a remote controller.

The guy who was tasered did not have a Drone, just a multi-rotor remote controlled toy.

This is obvious by the fact that he could be identified as the pilot (it was not flying under autonomous control).

That Toy with 3,4, 6 or 8 spinning knife-like blades plus a very high energy-dense battery would certainly have been Out Of Control in a public place as soon as the Pilot was tasered, which seems to me like a very Bad idea - better to get him to land the thing first no ?

Exactly why the word 'Drone' has become so popular when describing flying toys escapes me.

Zombie - 30-4-2015 at 17:58

The play cop was out of line attacking the play pilot guy.

That's all there is to it.

I'd be more concerned about Hillary. No one seems to care tho.

Ready for the institution of Martail Law kids? Mark my words. Fake world tragedy, followed by US Martail law.

The tased guy will get 5 thousand dollars for his "dis-comfort". I hope he moves to Vietnam w/ the loot.

gregxy - 1-5-2015 at 08:55

Here is a story about how some "graphiti artist" who has figured out how to attach a can of spray paint to a toy drone so he can express him self at previously unreachable heights.

http://www.wired.com/2015/04/age-drone-vandalism-begins-epic...

Hellafunt - 1-5-2015 at 19:50

Quote: Originally posted by gregxy  
Here is a story about how some "graphiti artist" who has figured out how to attach a can of spray paint to a toy drone so he can express him self at previously unreachable heights.

http://www.wired.com/2015/04/age-drone-vandalism-begins-epic...

since it was in NYC, he could do it at the empire state building using "the king kong schlong". thank you, zombie and aga

[Edited on 2-5-2015 by Hellafunt]

[Edited on 2-5-2015 by Hellafunt]

Zombie - 1-5-2015 at 21:31

Lawyer... Monday, Hellafunt. ;)

macckone - 1-5-2015 at 21:40

Quote: Originally posted by Zombie  
The play cop was out of line attacking the play pilot guy.

That's all there is to it.

I'd be more concerned about Hillary. No one seems to care tho.

Ready for the institution of Martail Law kids? Mark my words. Fake world tragedy, followed by US Martail law.

The tased guy will get 5 thousand dollars for his "dis-comfort". I hope he moves to Vietnam w/ the loot.

Park Rangers are federal officers. They are generally better trained than your well trained local cops. Toy copter pilot was breaking the law. He didn't want a ticket so he decided to take off instead. He got tasered. He got arrested. If he had gotten tackled it may have ended worse since there is a 500 ft drop off into a lava pool. Little chance of him getting any loot for discomfort sustained while resisting arrest.

Zombie - 1-5-2015 at 22:06

LOL... Security guards

I had a friend that was a park ranger in NY, and I'll tell ya', If he could find his shoes... It was a good day for him.

I get your point, and we were not there so I think it best if call the conversation a wash.

No offense Mr. Macckone.

Loptr - 2-5-2015 at 10:29

Quote: Originally posted by aga  
There are 'Drones' available quite cheaply these days.

You just put in the GPS co-ordinates of where you want it to go, and it goes there.

Most of the 'drones-that-are-not-drones' out there are Tri/Quad/Octo Copters that require a human pilot with a remote controller.

The guy who was tasered did not have a Drone, just a multi-rotor remote controlled toy.

This is obvious by the fact that he could be identified as the pilot (it was not flying under autonomous control).

That Toy with 3,4, 6 or 8 spinning knife-like blades plus a very high energy-dense battery would certainly have been Out Of Control in a public place as soon as the Pilot was tasered, which seems to me like a very Bad idea - better to get him to land the thing first no ?

Exactly why the word 'Drone' has become so popular when describing flying toys escapes me.

Umm what drones are talking about that don't require human interaction? I have worked with a few before, from some pretty large ones to ones that are so fat they as to be shot out of a tube by a charge (rocket launch assistance).

Drone is another name for UAV, which is remotely controlled and typically has sensor capabilities. Also another name for robot.

[Edited on 2-5-2015 by Loptr]

aga - 2-5-2015 at 13:01

OK. I give in. 'Drone' it is.

Kite, Paper Aeroplane, Wire controlled flying model, Radio controlled flying model, fully autonomous 2 tonne flying military weapons platform.

All 'Drone' now.

Next week i shall be going on holiday.

The Airbus A320 Drone should take off at about 10:30.

blogfast25 - 2-5-2015 at 13:05

Oh, stop droning on about it! :D

Loptr - 2-5-2015 at 17:19

The FAA defines both RC planes and helicopters as UAVs, and drone is slang for UAV.

In common use, however, "drone" tends to mean vehicles with more capability than just line-of-sight flight. Whether it is a weapon-equipped MQ-9 Reaper or a light Wasp III observer UAV.

Most people are thinking of vehicles in the "limited-size" recreation category when they are thinking of an R/C plane or helicopter. But there is no specified legal definition of what this is yet.

Zombie - 2-5-2015 at 17:31

You might want to re-think the size bit... I used to fly 10' wingspan 1/4 scale, and they are much bigger today... yet there are NO regulations on them in the US. Imagine a 90lb model coming at you near 700 scale MPH.

Give the fella back his plastic toy, fire the guard, and burn Detroit to the ground.
That will make me feel better anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQ9dSrrBN28

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQ9dSrrBN28