Sciencemadness Discussion Board


cmos6667 - 4-5-2015 at 05:37

Hi folks,
What kind of pump do you suggest to vent a 10m x 20m x 5m room?
Is 70 L / min, 10mbar enough?

unionised - 4-5-2015 at 08:39

A pump that's rated to give a reasonavle vacuum probability isn't designed to shift large volumes of air.

The room has a volume of a thousand cubic metres and the pump will move about 5 cubic metres per hour so it would take roughly 200 hours to move the volume of air that's in the room.
Of course, because the air that's drawn in mixes with the air that is already there it's not going to be enough to purge any fumes from a room.
To do that you need to draw several times the room volume through it.
So, it looks like that pump would take weeks to clear the air.

suggests that a vacuum cleaner would be a better bet- it moves about 2000 litres per minute

Really, what you need is a fan.

cmos6667 - 4-5-2015 at 09:50

Ah thanks, I'll try making a fume hood instead then :)

Metacelsus - 4-5-2015 at 11:53

What you want is a squirrel cage blower, such as those used in kitchen vents. I use one of those in the fume hood I built.

[Edited on 4-5-2015 by Cheddite Cheese]

aga - 4-5-2015 at 12:09

Quote: Originally posted by cmos6667  
Ah thanks, I'll try making a fume hood instead then :)

Try ?

There is no Try.

There is only Do young Complementary Metal Oxide Silicon Walker.

cmos6667 - 5-5-2015 at 01:30

hahahaha yes!!! I actually just came home from the hardware shop, I can't find a leafblower in my pricerange and there's nobody selling plexiglass, so this afternoon I'm going to the recycling center to find an actual cupboard with glass doors :)