Sciencemadness Discussion Board

OTC toluene in Australia

GoldAlchemist - 5-5-2015 at 01:41

So my usual source for otc toluene has been replaced with xylene. I've been doing the distil from can method and I try and recover my solvents as much as possible.
There are 1 or 2 places that I am aware of that sell a proper commerical product but I would like to use them for other items I had in mind.
A few inquiries make mention of having a company and showing ID. Am I being overly paranoid about toluene and I should just order it normally?
I have found that there are a quite a few products have a very vague msds where they give nothing away as to whats inside other than "hydrocarbons" (e.g UN number 1263).
I guess I'm after about 20 liters which should be enough for ages.
Can anybody send a U2U or give some help.

Mesa - 5-5-2015 at 01:55

Dulux paint trade centers sell it as methylbenzene. Some mitre 10's sell it in 4L or 20L drums, the drums are painted white with 2 stripes at the top.

I've noticed bunnings, despite being a much larger company, is one of the worst hardware stores to look for chemicals/solvents like this.

If you know the name of the product, use this site to search for it's composition:
www.msds.com.au/App/SearchProducts/SearchProducts.aspx

Oscilllator - 5-5-2015 at 03:36

I live in australia and buy my toluene from home hardware. It is labelled as toluene, and the brand is "diggers", which is very common here. I bought 2 litres, but I'm pretty sure it's available in larger volumes.

GoldAlchemist - 5-5-2015 at 14:08

I have looked in those stores but obviously not very well or my locals did not have in stock.
Thanks for the friendly replys.

adk - 5-5-2015 at 14:48

I can help you to obtain Toluene. 20L of AR grade Toluene is around $300 + GST + shipping.

Also, Bunnings and many other hardware/trade stores no longer sell Toluene in larger containers. No idea why.

Send me an e-mail if you like,

sales@argentscientific.com

Cheers,
A

NedsHead - 6-5-2015 at 07:16

I also noticed my local mitre 10 no longer stock toluene. however, the local Chinese hardware/variety store have some white 20ltr drums of toluene buried under a shelf out of sight I discovered one day.

I did find a 5kg bucket of potassium hydroxide flakes for $19.50 yesterday. I thought that was a reasonable price