Sciencemadness Discussion Board

I know who owns the sun...

Zombie - 6-6-2015 at 00:15

"Who owns the sun?

You might go to a notary to get a marriage license or a mortgage, but Maria Duran had another plan. She registered the sun in her name at her local notary in Vigo, Spain. Under the United Nation’s Outer Space Treaty, no country can claim ownership of the sun but Duran claims that there is no provision against humans doing so. The 54-year-old woman set up an eBay (EBAY) shop and began selling plots of land on the star for one euro each. eBay eventually kicked Duran off of the site, and the mother of four turned around and sued the online auction site for breech of contract. At first the site tried to settle, then argued that there was no jurisdiction. Now the company will have to argue the case in Madrid this July."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/technology-science/technology/w...

http://consumerist.com/2015/06/05/woman-suing-ebay-claims-sh...

GD that woman has it all figured out.
It's those stupid head slap moments that I strive for.

j_sum1 - 6-6-2015 at 03:36

Smart woman. It's the buyers that are stupid.

Zombie - 6-6-2015 at 03:46

I've got DIBS on Mars. Plus I call shotgun on the first flight.

j_sum1 - 6-6-2015 at 04:02

I think Mars is already claimed (according to one of those articles).
And I am going to wait until they start return flights to Mars before i book one. I am not sure I want to stay there.

unionised - 6-6-2015 at 04:52

The sun
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/
which could be described as a comic, rather than a newspaper is owned by Rupert Murdoch's News Corp.

Bert - 6-6-2015 at 05:30

Quote: Originally posted by unionised  
The sun
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/
which could be described as a comic, rather than a newspaper is owned by Rupert Murdoch's News Corp.

Rimshot!

BromicAcid - 6-6-2015 at 05:38

"Possession is 9/10 of the law."

cyanureeves - 6-6-2015 at 06:34

they will get her with the mineral rights.

IrC - 6-6-2015 at 10:35

I own the space the sun is parked in and this lady owes me around 5 billion years rent.

Brain&Force - 6-6-2015 at 10:57

I own Saturn, and I'm charging Cassini a parking fee AND a littering fee when it reenters over Saturn.

zed - 16-6-2015 at 14:44

A Sith Lord, named Mr. Burns, owns the Sun. Lives in Springfield, employs Homer Simpson, at the Burns' Nuclear Power Plant.

Me and Burns, and Ralph Nader....eat lunch together on Tuesdays.

Zombie - 16-6-2015 at 17:51

They talk about you at the poker game. (watch Nader, He's hot for your wife)

NedsHead - 17-6-2015 at 16:40

Would that make her responsible for the suns radiation and all the cases of skin cancer it has caused? All skin cancer victims should form a class action and sue her ;)

smaerd - 17-6-2015 at 16:51

NedsHead - But then shouldn't all the solar panel people be paying her for the energy output :P?

IrC - 17-6-2015 at 19:26

Just don't sue her until I get my rent money.

vmelkon - 18-6-2015 at 11:13

There is no "land" on the Sun. It is all plasma. There is no solid surface.
What's next? Selling off space, cube by cube?

aga - 18-6-2015 at 11:24

How much were you thinking of bidding ?

Currently we have several desirable 1m3 units in the Pleiades region from $14, up to $2000 per m3 around Neptune.

Order now while stocks last !

(terms and conditions apply)

IrC - 18-6-2015 at 14:08

Quote: Originally posted by vmelkon  
There is no "land" on the Sun. It is all plasma. There is no solid surface.
What's next? Selling off space, cube by cube?

OK as long as you don't sell the space the sun is parked in I already own it.

Zombie - 18-6-2015 at 14:15

Quote: Originally posted by NedsHead  
Would that make her responsible for the suns radiation and all the cases of skin cancer it has caused? All skin cancer victims should form a class action and sue her ;)

You know... That's one of the smartest things I've heard in a long time. (shows the company I keep).

I'm thinking what is good for the goose, is good for the gander. I'm actually going to look into this. See if there is a precedent in law to sue under. Actually I'm pretty sure there is. Toxic land, and wells are the responsibility of the owner... Let's see what she gets out of Ebay, and triple that amount.
Hell, think big... One Million Dollars!

dr.-evil-million-dollar-term-policy-300x241.jpg - 17kB

aga - 19-6-2015 at 13:12

Sue for about 25% of what she gets off ebay.

No point suing for more then she actually will have left over after the spending spree.