Sciencemadness Discussion Board

PLASTICIZERS?

Frontier9 - 2-8-2006 at 19:03

Whenever I read about plasticizers for polymer rubbers, I get the impression that these substances can be obtained only from chemical companies. Does anyone have knowledge of common readily available substances that when added to polymer rubbers will make them malleable & plastic?:cool:

triphenylphosphineoxide - 3-8-2006 at 06:08

If leaching and and eventual raising of the Glass transition temperature is not a problem, try long (C18 at least) chain esters. They will work, but have the additional problem of not being U.V. stable.

DrP - 3-8-2006 at 07:12

Dipropylene glycol benzoate is a UV stable plasticiser. I do not know if this could be made from Proylene glycol and a benzoate source?

Frontier9 - 3-8-2006 at 09:15

I have some information that substances such as non-detergent mineral motor oil, petroleum jelly, and even ladies' facial cold cream, when added to certain polymer rubbers will cause them to become soft and plastic; is this true? If not, what other commonly available substances can be used to make polymer rubbers malleable?

bio2 - 3-8-2006 at 22:26

Maybe try the casien based white wood glue.
It remains flexible and cures by water contact

Reminds me of the "animal glue" referred to in older texts for electroplating.

WTF is "animal glue", anyway?? Tried some white carpenters glue but it's casein and I'm wondering if the so called animal glue is even made anymore.

Good old "elmers" nowhere to be found here but can get concentrated HNO3, clear and tranparent, from the hardware store.

ethan_c - 4-8-2006 at 00:30

Quote:
Originally posted by bio2
Good old "elmers" nowhere to be found here but can get concentrated HNO3, clear and tranparent, from the hardware store.

I propose a trade! :D