Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Hearing protection - what do you use?

Gargamel - 27-9-2015 at 06:55

I've got a set of ear muffs here, haven't got the dB rating in front of me now.

I wonder if this is enough to prevent one from a typical blasting cap going off in the press, especially work is done in a smaller room and not outside, so that the sound is reflected and hits the ear several times.

As I understand, the kind of sound most protection equipment is designed to cope with sounds not as load, but prolonged. My feeling is that for our needs a little more would be required - something that gives total silence for "normal" sounds, to have enough headroom for extreme situations.

Did you ever had explosion noises hit your protectors at lower distances, how did it cope with that?

Bert - 27-9-2015 at 07:13

I use Peltor ComTacs in the field, which allow normal conversation, can be jacked into a VOX radio/mic set as well. Also for shooting, using any noisy power tools, setting equipment at noisy race tracks, working near the stage/amps at Crap music concerts & etc.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0141WJK12/ref=mp_s_a_1_6/181-...

Ear plugs and muffs both if I KNOW something really loud is possible- Like firing a .50BMG rifle or (even worse) being near someone doing so and in the direction the muzzle brake channels the gas.

All in all, I worry much more about my EYES and HANDS when handling primary HE's. I have recovered from a couple of ruptured ear drums, but you just don't grow new eyes as required- And trying to pick your nose with a stump would be annoying.

[Edited on 27-9-2015 by Bert]

Gargamel - 27-9-2015 at 12:15

Quote:

All in all, I worry much more about my EYES and HANDS when handling primary HE's

Self evident.

Quote:

Ear plugs and muffs both

Seems to be the best solution to be sure...

aga - 27-9-2015 at 15:40

Ear muffs when interacting with a Wife, and avoidance of EM works fine here.

[Edited on 27-9-2015 by aga]

roXefeller - 27-9-2015 at 16:15

+1 Muffs and plugs. In OSHA industry, when the dB's get high enough we specify both for worker protection. Most muffs can't provide the NRR that ear plugs alone provide. I haven't seen any that match a plug let alone exceed one. Primaries don't reach the dB of a 50 BMG muzzle brake, closer to a strong handgun. However I agree that in a close area you could see high levels.

+2 eye and hand protection.

Aurium - 16-10-2015 at 10:03

Ears muff are handy if you'r exploding stuff, but I found them essential if you have a toddler nephew in the house.
I love mine, I often even sleep wearing them, best find ever.