Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Silver Hydrazine Nitrate?

Rhodanide - 29-9-2015 at 17:04

I recently got a shipment of Hydrazine Sulfate, and immediately went to making Hydrazine Hydrate. I ended up dissolving it in denatured alcohol. I got an idea - If I don't have Nickel Nitrate to make NHN, then why the heck can't I use Silver nitrate? I prepared a denatured alcohol/silver nitrate solution and dripped the alcoholic HH solution into the Alcohol/AgNO3 solution. In videos on YT, I've always seen a chalky precipitate, but that's hardly what I got. Mine was spongy. The color changed from a clear solution to pitch black. Please, tell me what happens if any of you folks try this. I'd be quite interested to know! :)

BromicAcid - 29-9-2015 at 19:44

Your hydrazine reduced your Ag<sup>+</sup> to Ag<sup>0</sup>.

kecskesajt - 30-9-2015 at 07:52

Yes,it will make Ag2O and then Ag metal.

Rhodanide - 6-10-2015 at 15:25

Quote: Originally posted by BromicAcid  
Your hydrazine reduced your Ag<sup>+</sup> to Ag<sup>0</sup>.

Oh dear. :o

Well, how can I make SHN, or is it impossible to do so? Thoughts?

Thanks for the info, BTW. It really helps out. :)

zed - 6-10-2015 at 15:51

Ummm. If it could be done, sounds wildly explosive.

I'd look for a known, reliable procedure. Unless of course, you have a spare set of hands.

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/la000536y

Looks similar to the procedure you fancy, and is known. Appears to produce colloidal silver.
Or, perhaps colloidal Silver Chloride, in their case.

[Edited on 6-10-2015 by zed]

[Edited on 6-10-2015 by zed]

[Edited on 7-10-2015 by zed]

[Edited on 7-10-2015 by zed]

woelen - 6-10-2015 at 22:44

Silver ion and hydrazine in one compound? I hardly can believe that such a beast exists at room temperature. The silver ion immediately would be reduced to metallic silver. The experience of Tetra confirms this.

Amos - 7-10-2015 at 12:14

Would Tetra possibly have better luck moving further up the reactivity series, such as a copper or lead hydrazine nitrate? Or is nickel special?

[Edited on 10-7-2015 by Amos]

MeshPL - 10-10-2015 at 10:31

I think copper is also reduced by hydrazine.

Rhodanide - 13-10-2015 at 10:01

Quote: Originally posted by Amos  
Would Tetra possibly have better luck moving further up the reactivity series, such as a copper or lead hydrazine nitrate? Or is nickel special?

[Edited on 10-7-2015 by Amos]

I was going to try Manganese.

Rhodanide - 13-10-2015 at 10:03

Quote: Originally posted by woelen  
Silver ion and hydrazine in one compound? I hardly can believe that such a beast exists at room temperature. The silver ion immediately would be reduced to metallic silver. The experience of Tetra confirms this.

Well, one can only dream.

I hope you weren't being sarcastic. I'm just working with what I have, which isn't all that much. :)