Sciencemadness Discussion Board

1,3 propanediol

Magpie - 1-11-2015 at 18:21

This "green" reagent is now available OTC. I knew that it eventually would be, but it took several years.

http://www.makingcosmetics.com/Propanediol-13_p_1064.html

Aqua-regia - 2-11-2015 at 02:00

Thss stuff is made in Dupont Tate&Lyle i guess. You can request 1 liter sample. I did it, was OK.

http://www.duponttateandlyle.com/susterra

Velzee - 2-11-2015 at 11:52

I still haven't found a use for the chemical, due to my lack of knowledge and equipment...

Aqua-regia - 2-11-2015 at 12:36

This stuff is very good starting material for building.

For example, if I synthetised first piperidine, the pathway was following:

Started with 1,3propandiol, than

-1,3 dibromo-propane after that

- glutaronitrile, and

-cadaverine HCl

finally cyclysation to piperidine.

unionised - 2-11-2015 at 13:24

Just waiting for the first arrest based on oxidation, esterification, alkylation and reaction with urea.

[Edited on 2-11-15 by unionised]

UC235 - 2-11-2015 at 13:41

The most valuable use of the material is probably the oxidation to malonic acid (Which Magpie has demonstrated using nitric acid), which is used (as the diester) in the malonic ester synthesis and can be used for Knoevenagel condensations.

Malonate ester condenses with ureas to give Barbituic acid derivatives. Plain barbituic acid can be oxidized with nitric acid to alloxan per orgsyn which is used as a TLC visualizing agent for certain amines and notably amino acids.

Malonic acid is used in the Briggs–Rauscher and Belousov–Zhabotinsky oscillating reactions.

Conc H2SO4 and HBr converts the diol to 1,3-dibromopropane which has some niche synthetic uses as an alkylating agent and can be made into cyclopropane by intramolecular Wurtz coupling.

The diol can also be used to make acetals and ketals as protecting groups that are easier to remove than the related ethylene-glycol derived dioxolanes.

gdflp - 2-11-2015 at 14:38

Quote: Originally posted by unionised  
Just waiting for the first arrest based on oxidation, esterification, alkylation and reaction with urea.

Or partial bromination, followed by reaction with magnesium, CO<sub>2</sub> and acidic workup.

Velzee - 2-11-2015 at 14:41

Is this a synthesis of some sort of illegal drug? Pardon my ignorance, but could you elaborate on why you stated "arrest?"

gdflp - 2-11-2015 at 18:31

Quote: Originally posted by Velzee  

Is this a synthesis of some sort of illegal drug? Pardon my ignorance, but could you elaborate on why you stated "arrest?"

That's a general synthesis for barbiturates.

Velzee - 2-11-2015 at 20:28

Quote: Originally posted by gdflp  
Quote: Originally posted by Velzee  

That's a general synthesis for barbiturates.

Ah. Thank you for the clarification.

jamit - 6-11-2015 at 05:55

Thanks Magpie. I just order a 500ml bottle. Atlas, i can make malonic acid.

unionised - 6-11-2015 at 16:43

Or partial bromination, followed by reaction with magnesium, CO<sub>2</sub> and acidic workup.

It's a grave problem when young people forget to use protection.

UC235 - 6-11-2015 at 16:51

That was hilarious.

Also, the proposed reaction is the most ridiculous approach to GHB I've ever seen.

Also, I ran across this cool prep which could use the diol two different ways to make a cyclobutane derivative. http://www.orgsyn.org/Content/pdfs/procedures/CV4P0288.pdf

[Edited on 7-11-2015 by UC235]

gdflp - 6-11-2015 at 19:53

Har har har, I walked into that one.
Quote: Originally posted by UC235  

Also, the proposed reaction is the most ridiculous approach to GHB I've ever seen.

I didn't realize that jokingly suggested synthetic schemes had to be high yielding, use cheap reagents, and be easily performed:cool:

unionised - 7-11-2015 at 05:18

Quote: Originally posted by UC235  

I didn't realize that jokingly suggested synthetic schemes had to be high yielding, use cheap reagents, and be easily performed:cool:

No, they merely have to work.

jamit - 7-11-2015 at 23:02

I just received my 500ml bottle of 1,3 propanediol. Yay!! Thanks Magpie.

Now it's time to make some malonic acid. I can't understand why this acid is so expensive!? But now that I have 1,3 propanediol, I can make it anytime when I need it. I love sciencemadness!!

mr.crow - 9-11-2015 at 19:01

Thanks for the link. DuPont never sent me the free sample.

Also of note on the website:
- BHT
- Cetrimonium chloride (phase transfer catalyst!)
- EDTA
- Salicylic acid
- Niacinamide