Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Farm and Veterinary Supplies

mayko - 30-11-2015 at 08:38

One useful source of chemicals (and possibly equipment) that I rarely see mentioned is large veterinary and farm supplies. A few things I've seen OTC there but not really anywhere else include 99% DMSO (16 fl. oz for ~$8) and Calcium Gluconate solution (for treatment of milk fever, maybe suitable for HF treatment?)

There are also common chemicals available in bulk. Last time I visited, a gallon of mineral oil or 70% isopropanol could be had for $17; a gallon of USP propylene glycol for $22. (There was also a gallon of "1% titratable iodine" for $17; I don't know if this would be a more economical source than smaller bottles of 10% povidone.)

Also, miscellaneous but useful stuff, like boric acid and high purity lye.

[Edited on 30-11-2015 by mayko]

Praxichys - 30-11-2015 at 09:38

I got a pound of acetylsalicylic acid USP that way. I think it was $7. Very useful.

careysub - 30-11-2015 at 14:52

I tried that in Corona, CA (bills itself as "HorseTown USA"; human population 27,000; horse population 17,000), went to four vet supply places (including the Tractor Supply Co. chain) and came with nada.

Just proprietary formulations of stuff, no chemicals at decent prices.

jamit - 30-11-2015 at 15:35

Quote: Originally posted by Praxichys  
I got a pound of acetylsalicylic acid USP that way. I think it was $7. Very useful.

Can I ask where you got that?

Praxichys - 1-12-2015 at 05:44

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003GC8LAA?psc=1&redire...

I got it on Amazon but my order history says I paid $6.50 for it on March 31, 2014. It seems to have gone up considerably since then...

Corrosive Joeseph - 2-12-2015 at 13:30

I've found some great stuff in farm supplies over here....................

93% sulphuric, 10% iodine, copper sulphate, 10% hypochlorite, fertillizers, etc..................

UC235 - 2-12-2015 at 13:41

I have a pound of 99% Hexamine from local animal/farm supply store.

ScopeGuy - 2-12-2015 at 18:18

The Tractor Supply here in PA had a number of useful ones,

Thank you

Bot0nist - 3-12-2015 at 06:56

I agree, in regard to Tractor Supply, at least in the SE U.S.
I go there, Homedepot, and walmart. With those three I can get almost all my otc needs for mad sciencing. Some pharmacies have things otc I can't get without shopping online, but they can be pricey.

Paint stores like Sherwin Williams, PPG, and others are great for 1-5 gal sources of a wide variety of difficult to source slovents. Toluene, M.E.K., acetone, ethyl acetate, and others can be had there with no trouble.

[Edited on 3-12-2015 by Bot0nist]

careysub - 3-12-2015 at 15:11

Quote: Originally posted by Bot0nist  
I agree, in regard to Tractor Supply, at least in the SE U.S.
I go there, Homedepot, and walmart. With those three I can get almost all my otc needs for mad sciencing. Some pharmacies have things otc I can't get without shopping online, but they can be pricey.

Paint stores like Sherwin Williams, PPG, and others are great for 1-5 gal sources of a wide variety of difficult to source slovents. Toluene, M.E.K., acetone, ethyl acetate, and others can be had there with no trouble.
[Edited on 3-12-2015 by Bot0nist]

What are you finding at Tractor Supply? I can look for that specifically if I know what it is.

There is a lot of regional variation due local laws (particularly having to do with volatile solvents). E.g. no toluene, MEK, xylene, naptha, or ethyl acetate in stores in California.

ScopeGuy - 3-12-2015 at 18:32

Tractor Supply Store locator
http://www.tractorsupply.com/

MolecularWorld - 3-12-2015 at 19:31

@Bot0nist: I'd also like to know what you're finding at Tractor Supply. I'm in the NE US, and the only interesting things I found at my nearest Tractor Supply were milking machine cleaner (phosphoric acid) and diesel exhaust fluid (urea solution), but I can get those cheaper at Home Depot and Walmart, respectively.