Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Finding a local chemical supplier

Rapunzel - 19-8-2006 at 10:53

I can't seem to find ANY where I live (USA). How do you go about finding one? Are there any sites? What are they listed under in the yellow pages?

DeAdFX - 19-8-2006 at 10:56

This isn't very much help but.... I found out of a "local"[1+ hour drive one way] chem supplier via family. Now if you are looking for a specific chemical like nitrates your best bet would to look around garden stores, hydroponics and fertilizer places...

[Edited on 19-8-2006 by DeAdFX]

neutrino - 19-8-2006 at 13:27

This is good for a start:

Readily Available Chemicals

Also searching around the forum will help.

The_Davster - 19-8-2006 at 14:58

Did you try 'chemicals' in the yellow pages? Might get lucky and find one that will sell to you. I tried that myself unsucessfully. And of course there is always internet suppliers...

garage chemist - 20-8-2006 at 07:00

A better idea is to find a chemical supplier which has everything you need but is too far away and doesn't sell to individuals.

List the substances you want along with price and ordering number from the supplier, together with adress and phone number of the supplier.

Then go to a pharmacy with that list and ask if they can order it for you. You might have to try out several different pharmacies.

I got my carbon disulfide that way, and someone else even got sodium cyanide (though he knew the pharmacist for years).

[Edited on 20-8-2006 by garage chemist]

thalium - 20-8-2006 at 09:33

http://www.multilab.ro/index.html
http://www.tunic.ro
They are from romania and sell only glassware and apparatus to individuals. For chems you have to be either institution or company.
If you know someone who works as a chemist in a hospital try and talk with that person, they can order things just like garage chemist said.
Post lab supplyers from your area/country here:)

eBay Suppliers

MadHatter - 20-8-2006 at 09:56

One very reliable eBay supplier is ChemSavers Inc, userid is lauram300. I've ordered from
them before. They can be a bit pricey, depending on what you're ordering. They're based out
of Richmond, Virginia. They even carry acetic anhydride in their inventory. Be aware that they
have a disclaimer that they will cooperate with LE if they believe the chemicals are being
used for an illicit purpose. Just thought I'd throw that out there. I've never encountered LE
or shipping problems. One time they were out of stock on some potassium persulphate that
I'd ordered but that's about it and they did manage to find what I needed.

[Edited on 2006/8/20 by MadHatter]

neutrino - 20-8-2006 at 12:09

If you're looking for an online seller, look at the website in my sig. MANY good suppliers are listed there.

DeAdFX - 20-8-2006 at 16:00

Quote:
Originally posted by MadHatter
One very reliable eBay supplier is ChemSavers Inc, userid is lauram300. I've ordered from
them before. They can be a bit pricey, depending on what you're ordering. They're based out
of Richmond, Virginia. They even carry acetic anhydride in their inventory. Be aware that they
have a disclaimer that they will cooperate with LE if they believe the chemicals are being
used for an illicit purpose. Just thought I'd throw that out there. I've never encountered LE
or shipping problems. One time they were out of stock on some potassium persulphate that
I'd ordered but that's about it and they did manage to find what I needed.

[Edited on 2006/8/20 by MadHatter]

They used to be cheap but now they are into price gouging... The hydrazine sulfate 500gm over ther used to cost 40 or so USD and now its 60+...

At the hydrazine soldering flux. I believe the manufacter of that solder is hercules(sp). I remember reading an MSDS of theirs that said HYdrazine hydrochloride....

vovan78 - 29-8-2006 at 22:05

Take a look at http://www.chemexper.com/ - catalog of chemical suppliers, physical characteristics and search engine