Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Puryfing Disodium EDTA

MrMario - 20-2-2016 at 05:52

EDTA is a very efficient in trapping heavy metals and removing them from solutions/body. I want to buy some Disodium EDTA what is sold as an additive for the synthesis of soaps/crèmes/cosmetics. I want to get this very pure so it can be used for example analytical experiments.

More information quoted from Wikipedia:

Quote:

Ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid, widely abbreviated as EDTA (for other names, see Table), is an aminopolycarboxylic acid and a colourless, water-soluble solid. Its conjugate base is named ethylenediaminetetraacetate. It is widely used to dissolve limescale. Its usefulness arises because of its role as a hexadentate ("six-toothed") ligand and chelating agent, i.e., its ability to "sequester" metal ions such as Ca2+ and Fe3+. After being bound by EDTA, metal ions remain in solution but exhibit diminished reactivity. EDTA is produced as several salts, notably disodium EDTA and calcium disodium EDTA.

Does someone know how i can purify this to obtain high quality EDTA? Maybe dissolving it in a certain solvent and recrystallize it many times? I don't have a clue because i'm not a professional chemist and don't want it to react to form undesired products.