Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Copper Acetylide

Camroc37 - 19-3-2016 at 20:38

I was wondering if anyone had experience with Copper Acetylide.
I need a suitable reducing agent to turn the Copper (II) Chloride into Copper (I) Chloride.
Thanks for any ideas or answers.
*I don't have any Metabisulfites*

laserlisa - 19-3-2016 at 22:46

Heat the CuCl2 solution until its quite hot, add ascorbic acid under stirring. The CuCl will precipitate as a white powder.
It could not get much easier.

Tdep - 19-3-2016 at 22:51

I just responded to your comment on Youtube, where I said both copper metal as well as ascorbic acid will work.
But really, I think the metabisulfites are worth the buy. They are such a useful chemical, espically in cleanup of metals such as Cr(VI). I tried extracting ascorbic acid from vitamin C tablets as well as using the tablets directly, but the orange colouring turned it into a nightmare. The reduction with it also seemes really slow and incomplete, but with sulfite it was a breeze.

Camroc37 - 20-3-2016 at 08:54

Quote: Originally posted by Tdep  
I just responded to your comment on Youtube, where I said both copper metal as well as ascorbic acid will work.
But really, I think the metabisulfites are worth the buy. They are such a useful chemical, espically in cleanup of metals such as Cr(VI). I tried extracting ascorbic acid from vitamin C tablets as well as using the tablets directly, but the orange colouring turned it into a nightmare. The reduction with it also seemes really slow and incomplete, but with sulfite it was a breeze.

I will definitely buy some, but I just spent all I had on other things. I made Copper (I) Chloride using Cu. I didn't think that would work well. Should I take the Cu out before bubbling or after? Thanks!
Oh, Explosions and Fire?

[Edited on 20-3-2016 by Camroc37]

NeonPulse - 21-3-2016 at 02:34

I have made the Cu acetylide but made it with both salts. The Copper II chloride in a strongly ammoniacal solution was better. you could use both chlorides but I found the II salt was more satisfactory and although both were relatively both weak explosives, they were a curiosity so that's why I made them.