Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Are there any practical methods to break an ethanol:heptane azeotrope in the home lab?

alking - 25-3-2016 at 15:47

The title pretty much explains it all. I've got a solution of heptane and ethanol which I assume is 51% heptane:49% ethanol going by this azeotrope table on wikipedia. I am assuming it is not practical and will cost more than simply purchasing more solvent, but as I do not currently have a use for such a solvent blend I thought it worth looking into, plus it may provide a good learning opportunity.

ScienceHideout - 25-3-2016 at 19:26

Couldn't you add water and do a simple extraction? Hexane is VERY nonpolar, and water is VERY polar. If you add water, the Ethanol will dissolve in it, and the hexane should form a separate layer.

alking - 25-3-2016 at 19:43

That's a great idea, and much easier than distilling, thanks!

Tsjerk - 26-3-2016 at 02:50

If you don't get a strong separation or an emulsion, you could consider using brine instead of plain water. Although this will probably push some of the ethanol into the heptane layer.

alking - 28-3-2016 at 19:25

Ok, now I have a follow up question; what if I want to recover both, is there a way that would not require boiling such a large amount of solvent? Is there something I could add to the mix to help break the azeotrope during distillation I'm wondering? Doing a decent wash would be a lot of water I'd then have to distill from and would take me quite a bit of time my largest boiling flask being 1L.