Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Ega chemie

Pumukli - 2-4-2016 at 07:00

Hello,

I've been browsing through a big pile of old chemicals from the eighties and found something I never heard about. Its label says anthranilic acid ANHYDRIDE from Ega Chemie, puriss.

Is it possible to make anhydridie from anthranilic acid at all? I always felt it would rather acylate the amino group and yield an amide, unless N was protected. But if it was protected, then the deprotection would lead to the destruction of the anhydride-part, wouldn't it? Opinions? Old Ega chemie catalogs anyone? :-)

Sulaiman - 2-4-2016 at 07:23

maybe it is just like P2O5 or acetic anhydride,
easier to synthesize via a route other than dehydrating the acid ?

Darkstar - 2-4-2016 at 08:21

Maybe it's really isatoic anhydride? That would hydrolyze to anthranilic acid.

Edit: according to a quick Google search, true dimolecular anhydrides of anthranilic acid are known.

[Edited on 4-2-2016 by Darkstar]

Pumukli - 2-4-2016 at 09:21

Isatoic anhydride came to my mind as well. But who would use "anthranilic acid anhydride" as a synonyme for isatoic anhydride?

If I had a melting point apparatus I could measure its mp at least - because I acquired a few grams as sample of this "mystery compound". I could try to hydrolize a few milligrams and determine the mp of the result(s), but I first have to acquire a mp apparatus. I could run a tlc if I had a little pure anthranilic acid as a standard... Any thoughts?