Sciencemadness Discussion Board

anyone used chemsupply before

BILLBUILDS - 4-6-2016 at 22:07

ive made an order with chemsupply (mascot,sydney,australia) and i was wondering if anyone had any feedback about them

adk - 13-6-2016 at 00:39

You may be thinking of LabSupply. (Chem Supply is based in South Australia and is a very, very big importer/distributor/repacker of chemicals).

I purchased stuff at LabSupply for years but currently buy products from other distributors / import chemicals myself (I have a company and NICNAS permit)

What kind of materials are you after?

A

BILLBUILDS - 17-6-2016 at 04:20

EDIT: This is for Sydney, Australia

just basic chemicals like formaldehyde, formamide, formic acid, acetic anhydride, ammonia, some form of benzene (benzaldehyde, benzoic acid, benzoic alcohol), various solvents (CH2Cl2, acetone, i can get the solvents relatively easily and at a good price) and some catalysts, acids and bases and maybe a desiccant or two. Enough to carry out basic uni lab experiments at home and practice basic reactions and operations.

Ive got 2nd year organic synthesis passed with a good understanding of reaction mechanics and planning on doing a chemistry masters (i have a geochemistry thesis masters but thats very different), so i know alot of the basics and will get other reagents as reactions interest me that ill find on this forum.

I ordered from chem supply/lab supply but the prices are astronomical (500ml H2SO4 -> over $100. Ive also talked to suppliers from china but the $10 chemical costs 1000% in postage fees. glassware i got from ebay from china (why is a 5kg box of glass off ebay free shipping and chemicals $100+ postage?)

can anyone recommend where to get chemicals at a price which isnt so unreasonable?

[Edited on 17-6-2016 by BILLBUILDS]

Richard3050 - 17-6-2016 at 09:36

Honestly if you are looking for some of the basic chemicals you should try your local hardware store. You would be surprised the variety and quality of chemical that is readily available. Since it is being sold the manufacturer also publishes as SDS of the chemical online so you can check for impurities and concentration levels. When I was just getting starting I bought a number of chemicals from the hardware store (hydrochloric acid, sulfuric acid, acetone, methyl ethyl ketone, etc.)

BILLBUILDS - 17-6-2016 at 14:57

im stocked up on everything i could find in pure/dilute/reasonably denatured products from the grocery and hardware stores ect. But getting that you need for proper chemistry usually need a catalyst and a ligand which are the bits and pieces of my kit that are missing and severely limiting the experiments i can do :(

The current experiment im doing, making diethylether from yeast and sugar is all fine apart from the $60 of H2SO4 i need to use and i even with looking extensively i haven't found it in the hardware stores in australia, anyone know of a brand at bunnings? Everything uses sulfamic acid rather than sulfuric.

Still, ive chopped down plenty of tree roots and gathered leaves and still having fun distilling/extracting essential oils. Theres always an abundance of herbs and trees.

On another note does anyone know how long dichloromethane and nitric acid acid live for? i have some archaic bottles of my dads which have not been touched in my lifetime at least, would there be any harmful byproducts or denaturants present.

j_sum1 - 17-6-2016 at 15:17

Here's your sulfuric acid.
https://cyndan.com.au/

[Edit]
Removed a bunch of links.

BILLBUILDS, Taking a look at your posting history, I am suspicious of your intentions. I might have this completely wrong and if I do, I apologise. But it does look a bit like you have interests inconsistent with amateur chemistry of the sort that is encouraged on this site.

I hope I am wrong. And if I am, you will stick around for a while and post some interesting chemistry.

With regards your question, there are plenty of sources in Aus for the kind of chemicals you are after.

[Edited on 18-6-2016 by j_sum1]