Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Best way to clean battery graphite rods?

NEMO-Chemistry - 16-6-2016 at 09:54

What is the best way to clean up battery graphite rods from used batteries? I would like to do some elctro chemistry at some point. I was thinking maybe a soak in HCl then distilled water?

hissingnoise - 16-6-2016 at 10:48

Fucking around with battery rods rarely ends well since they're small and usually consist of compressed carbon!

Graphite rods!

Daffodile - 16-6-2016 at 11:34

Use acetone and scrubbing, there's an adhesive of some sort, or wax.

Sulaiman - 16-6-2016 at 14:58

I recovered four carbon rods from a lantern battery together with the zinc pots and MnO2/carbon paste.
I heated the rods to red heat to burn-off the unknown stuff.
don't do it over a domestic cooker as it may get messy ... dripping wax etc.
a bbq or similar is ok.
Unfortunately this technique ruins the nice press-fit metal caps.

EDIT: after recovering the carbon rods I bought graphite rods for the length - just easier / I'm lazy.

[Edited on 16-6-2016 by Sulaiman]

OneEyedPyro - 16-6-2016 at 16:30

HCl should do a pretty good job getting rid of MnO2.

Xenoid - 16-6-2016 at 18:09

Quote: Originally posted by Daffodile  
Use acetone and scrubbing, there's an adhesive of some sort, or wax.

NO!!! - Don't use solvents or heating to remove the wax sealant!

It's there for a purpose, to help prevent electrolyte penetration, and the eventual disintegration of the rod, this is especially important if the rod is to be used in chlorate cells.

I would recommend just brushing with a toothbrush and warm soapy water.

NEMO-Chemistry - 16-6-2016 at 22:41

Ok cheers, seems worth a go. I might buy some longer ones at some point, postage has got silly price in the UK so i wait until i have a decent order and asked for a discount and combined postage when i can :D.

DFliyerz - 18-6-2016 at 18:27

I usually just scrape it off with a knife

NEMO-Chemistry - 19-6-2016 at 00:30

The lantern type of cells (4 cells in bigger battery) worked ok, but the ones i tried from single cells were rubbish and just crumbled, a little HCl and a wipe with a damp cloth seemed to work fine.

Thanks i can give electrolysis a go. I got a small 12V (i think!) solar panel from a caravan off ebay, its used but seems to be working ok, not very big and not much current but FREEEEE electric for some electrolysis.

I will look on google and get a circuit to drop the voltage a bit. Thanks everyone