Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Teflon stir bar in large flask

FrankRizzo - 6-11-2006 at 09:48

I've got a large Erlenmeyer flask (3L) that has a slightly raised portion in the center of the bottom. I'd like to use a stir bar inside the flask, but keeping a normal one centered over the magnet is proving to be a PITA.

Are there special stir bars for these types of flasks?

[Edited on 6-11-2006 by FrankRizzo]

Tommy - 6-11-2006 at 11:10

Yes, there are, they look like a normal stir bar just with "wheels" on the ends.
Lab stores should have them, they are common here in germany.

520200.jpg - 5kB

bio2 - 6-11-2006 at 14:12

A so called "pivot ring" used on the octagonal magnets
and others will center better on sufaces not perfectly flat.;

Often the smoothest operation is a little off center
in beakers and erlenmeyers.

FrankRizzo - 6-11-2006 at 14:24

Thanks Tommy. Do they have a special name? Also, how does the barbell shape keep them in the center?

Tommy - 7-11-2006 at 08:20

They are called "dumbbell stir bar",but I have never used them, so I can't tell you anything more ;)