Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Leaving the hemisphere! Gear and reagents looking for a home.

Chordate - 28-10-2016 at 16:31

Hello fellow mad scientists!

I used to frequent these halls until my academic career decided to kick my ass, (and I forgot my password, and which email address I had used to make the account) but I am proud to return as a degree holding biochemist! School is out forever (or until I decide to become a grad student) and I am fleeing to New Zealand to try and find my fortune (wine chemistry cross fingers!).

Unfortunately that means downsizing everything, including my old funky lab.

And funky it is! There're some chipped tips on condensers, missing bits of various kits: improvised with rubber stoppers, ground glass adapters, and moxie. It's all functional but not all of it is pretty. Some of the equipment is quite good, some of it was quite good and now is quite functional. Some of it is close to new because I never really got to use it for the experiments I had earmarked.

It needs a new home soon! I am leaving in less than a week. To that end I am bundling bunches of it together so that the less choice bits get divvied out with the choicer bits and I can fill a couple of boxes and wipe my hands of the whole thing. Anything not sold by monday night will be passed on to a friend in the united states to try and sell on the dread auction site or given away piece by piece. That said, I wanted to give y'all first crack at it to give something back. Some of this gear I bought on these very forums back in the day.

Also, there are some reagents. Some of which are hard for the novice to get his/her grubby mitts on, some of which I will only send away to people with a bit of history on the board in the contiguous united states.

Also, there will be glass reagent jars and consumables and vials and such which I will probably be packing into all this stuff because it doesn't fit neatly into any category. Happy boiling.

If you're interested in anything, just send me a PM with what you want and your city and I'll get back to you with a shipping estimate and we'll work out the details of payment.

So without further ado: the stuff!

(continued in next post).

[Edited on 29-10-2016 by Chordate]

Chordate - 28-10-2016 at 16:33

Heating!
I have a nice old 1000 watt single plug Variac which became hard to find fuses that would fit in it's tiny fuse box. I rejiggered it to use small 10 amp automotive fuses and it drives my mantles: glas-col 3 liter and 1 liter. Years ago I lost my only glas-col adapter cable so now they must just be wired directly to a power cable in order to plug into aforementioned Variac. Also, I overdrove the 5 liter one absentminded day and it's a little crunchy if still entirely servicable as a mantle. I distilled a great big batch of sulfuric acid with it not a few months ago and it still is quite happy to get red hot. The liter mantle is almost pristine. I will even include the the 3 liter 3 neck round bottom flask that accompanies the big mantle so you can just distill the fuck out of some big home depot cans of solvents. 100$

The pride of my lab is my hotplate/stirrer combo: an IKA HS7 digital/programmable plate with the ETS-D5 probe and built in clamp stand. This sucker lets you set and hold your reaction at a given temperature without dicking with the arbitrary temperature knob. It's great for tricky distillations, sensitive additions, and sous vide. The combo runs about 750 bucks new but as mine is spattered with the tar of various improvised oil baths and pot roasts, is missing the special made probe clamp (a regular clamp works fine), and the original power cable (basically just a notched computer cable, improvised). 150 dollars for the pair! I will even throw in some bonus jars or something to the person who buys this. It's a luxurious piece of equipment for a budding scientist.

Heating complete, we move on to miscellanous hardware: the bits most likely to co-opted into other duties around the house and thus must likely to be missing. Basically here you get a nice 8x8 fisher lab jack, a shit ring stand, all the miscellaneous angle clamps and flask holders and whatnot I can find (probably fourish ), an israeli defense force gas mask(with uncracked cartridge!), and whatever other useful lab hardware I find cleaning out my garage. 50 dollars for this lot.

Vacuum handling is next: in this lot there's a big honkin liter plus filtration flask, chemglass medium fritted buchner funnel (I think its about 350-500ml), gasket, glass schlenk line bubbler, a pretty big plastic vacuum dessicator chamber, some VWR filter papers, some vacuum hosing, a teflon vacuum bearing for overhead stirring, a ground glass vacuum adapter in 24/40, and anything else that seems vacuum-ey as I pack it up. 100$ for this lot. If you buy it and are willing to pay the extra shipping I'll even throw in my fridge pump. I've yet to ream him with solvents and he pulls a steady 20-40 torr but he might leak oil everywhere if I ship him. I will take precautions but no promises.

Next, the glassy bits. First the 24/40 and 24/29 kit. Basically a bunch of RBFs which have seen some better days scratching ways but have good ground glass connections sized 1 liter to 50 ml, a 2 neck adapter, a ground glass 250 ml pressure equalizing addition funnel, 400 mm Vigereaux column, ground glass thermometer head with ground glass thermometer(0-280 degrees, non mercury), Leibig condenser and downstem adapter(non vacuum, but you can get vacuum with the 2 neck and vacuum adapter), and the piece de resistance: a nice 300mm 24/29 dewar condenser. That plus whatever ground glass stoppers I can get my grubby hands on (at least 1 I think) and some 24/40 to other sizes adapters. 125 dollars for the lot. Shipping on this one might get a little pricey due to bulk and padding.

Next the smaller glass bits in 14/20: There's a 14/20 fractional/vacuum distillation setup. Some RBFs/pear shaped flasks ranging from I believe 10-100 ml, though a few may be broken there are more than enough to react and distill. Also a 25ml filter flask, straight ground vacuum downstem adapter, 25ml pressure equalized addition funnel, 2 neck adapter, and some other bits. This whole setup comes in a nice plastic foam lined/cutout case. 40 dollars for this lot.

Chordate - 28-10-2016 at 16:40

Finally: reagents. Most of my reagents have found homes or been used as accelerants but there's a handful that need good homes. They've all been kept sealed and in the dark.

I have a sealed liter of DMF by some off brand solvent manufacture: 10$ to a good home, will ship only to the lower 48 of the united states. (it will be -so- well packed).

Most of 100 grams tetrabutylammonium iodide from sigma, 10$ to a good home. Will ship anywhere really if you'll pay the shipping.

roughly 250 g of hydroquinone (alfa). 10$

A whole mess of sodium chunks, granules, etc in oil. I guesstimate it's on the order of 50 grams of it but it's genuinely hard to tell and I've consolidated it several times. 10$ to a good home, will only ship to lower 48. (will ship appropriately)

And finally the last two reagents I will only ship to forum members with a posting history that indicates to me that they won't do anything dumb with them. 250+ grams of pure granular iodine. I don't remember the original manufacturer because I placed it into a different container as the original was not stopping the iodine creep, but it's reagent grade. Bonus: comes in a nice glass reagent jar. 20$.

And I have about 250 grams of potassium dichromate I just want to get fucking rid of. Free to a good home with another purchase/shipping.

Pictures of the stuff will follow as it emerges from the various baths and boxes and gets organized. let me know if you have any questions.

Texium - 28-10-2016 at 18:09

U2U sent about reagents

Melgar - 28-10-2016 at 22:16

If someone else hasn't already laid claim to the 14/20 stuff, sodium, and TBAB, I will. :p

I would really like things that would work for holding glassware in place too, but anything that wouldn't work on a 14/20 set I have no use for right now.

Texium - 29-10-2016 at 06:34

To clarify, I claimed the DMF, TBAI, hydroquinone, and dichromate. The sodium was tempting due to the price alone, but I recently got 50 grams of sodium so I don't really need it.

Chordate - 30-10-2016 at 06:39

Okay everyone, looks like every item has been claimed. Sorry for not being more celeritous with my U2U replies : I just finished yard sale-ing most of my non-chem-lab belongings and time has been tight! I will be sending those of you who claimed items messages today so we can finalize details, and everything should ship tomorrow.