Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Kno3.com

Pages:  1  2

joeflsts - 7-2-2008 at 10:22

Quote:
Originally posted by quicksilver
Whether it's legal or illegal; a sting or a sleaze, the bottom line is that it's about cooking crap. And cooks hurt the public and the hobbyist. Cooks have done more to fuck up this hobby than anything else imaginable.

No argument here.

Joe

microcosmicus - 7-2-2008 at 12:34

In the end, it may not really matter whether The Chemical Closet happens to be a
front set up by the police or an actual business which caters to cooks. Assume that
the latter is the case. Since it is outside their jurisdiction, U.S. authorities can not
do much more than make faces at it. However, The FBI can certainly use its
carnivore program to keep track of any orders placed from the U.S. As soon as
they see that an American places an order there, they can wait for the package
to be sent, intercept it, and arrest the sender for purchasing an illegal chemical
and using the mail service for illegal purposes.

Even if the place were located in the U.S.,Icould see that the police might not
want to shut it down right away. Rather, they could do as described above and
simply keep tabs on who buys from there. Only later, once they figure they've
gotten all the cooks who bought from there would they shut bust the business;
by that time, they would have more than enough evidence to lock up the
proprietors for good and trow away the key.

Either way, there remains the problem that purchasing and stocking chemicals
and apparatus is viewed as a suspicious activity and that home science is not
viewed in a positive light but all too often regarded at best as a dubious
activity and, at worst, as a front for cooking drugs and bombs.

quicksilver - 8-2-2008 at 07:00

Agreed. I would even tend to think they would let most orders go through (we allude to the thing being offshore, etc), find the big fish and develop prosecutable scenarios that branch from them. The "little fish" are picked up when they have a vicious case that can't be plea bargained away. However, your "bottom line" is what I tend to think is the most painful and indisputable.

With the type of laws and the type of tracking in place today, I would even be weary of checking out the site anymore. This avalanche of paranoia is what I resent as a by-product of the whole mess. Personally, I can't see not being paranoid with the methods in place to thwart the drugs, etc. Perhaps that really the point of the exercise?

MagicJigPipe - 9-2-2008 at 22:30

"I`m quite astonished that they actually Sell adrenaline, it`s almost Begging for trouble!"

I didn't see adrenaline (epinephrine) for sale anywhere on that site. Where is it?

Also, I don't believe giving ephedrine for bites is standard practice.... wait, I see. I think you may be getting ephedrine and epinephrine confused.

chemicalcloset.co.uk

Pyridinium - 11-3-2008 at 15:27

I recently received a spam email from Chemicalcloset.

Not sure why they picked me, as I intensely despise drug cooks.

It seems the owners of sugar traps think that just because someone is interested in chemistry that they must be a drug cook. :o

I kindly emailed them and told them to go away.

Anybody else getting spam emails from chemicalcloset? I don't sign up for this sort of rubbish, still not sure how I got on their spam list.

joeflsts - 11-3-2008 at 18:36

Quote:
Originally posted by Pyridinium
I recently received a spam email from Chemicalcloset.

Not sure why they picked me, as I intensely despise drug cooks.

It seems the owners of sugar traps think that just because someone is interested in chemistry that they must be a drug cook. :o

I kindly emailed them and told them to go away.

Anybody else getting spam emails from chemicalcloset? I don't sign up for this sort of rubbish, still not sure how I got on their spam list.

I got one today as well. I told them to not spam me anymore.

Joe

evil_lurker - 11-3-2008 at 21:59

Same here.

I'm wondering how the hell they got our email addresses to begin with.

MagicJigPipe - 11-3-2008 at 22:47

From this site? I sent them an email not too long ago bashing them for hurting home chemistry and supplying drug cooks. They replied with "these chemicals are legal in the UK".

GOD! That doesn't matter! That wasn't my point but they twisted it that way. I believe I also implied that I thought it was likely that their site was a govt/LE operation.

joeflsts - 12-3-2008 at 04:21

Quote:
Originally posted by MagicJigPipe
From this site? I sent them an email not too long ago bashing them for hurting home chemistry and supplying drug cooks. They replied with "these chemicals are legal in the UK".

GOD! That doesn't matter! That wasn't my point but they twisted it that way. I believe I also implied that I thought it was likely that their site was a govt/LE operation.

Maybe it is an LE site - I hope so. It should thin the herd so to speak.

Joe

pantone159 - 12-3-2008 at 11:01

Quote:
Originally posted by evil_lurker
I'm wondering how the hell they got our email addresses to begin with.

Indeed very very curious. No spam for me, though (at least yet).

soxhlet - 8-5-2008 at 07:58

Brian Howes is fighting for his life. Lawyers for Kerry-Ann claim that she is so emotionally traumatized as to be unable to participate in her own defense.

It does look as if time is running out for them.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/hi/pdfs/03_04_08_HMA_v_Ho...

Sauron - 8-5-2008 at 19:37

Can't do the time?

Don't do the crime!

Pulverulescent - 9-5-2008 at 05:49

The extradition could still fail and I just hope to fuck it does. . .

P

Sauron - 9-5-2008 at 06:49

Perhaps, but I wouldn't bet me last shilling on it.

Remember, these people racked up $450,000 selling red phosphorus at inflated prices into a country where it is contraband.

This was not a small time, mom and pop little operation. There aren't enough pyrotechnic hobbyists in the world to consume that much red P, and especially not paying those absurd prices for it. Hobbyists in the UK did not need to buy from them as they can just buy through normal channels.

They were profiteering off a demand from the illegal meth cooks, there is evidence that they were well aware of the nature of their buyers, and they thought they were shielded by UK law.

They were mistaken.

MagicJigPipe - 9-5-2008 at 07:30

The only problem I have with this is that red phosphorus is not technically illegal to order, sell or import(?). If they were selling phenylacetone, okay, no problem. Actual drugs? No problem there. But something that is (and should be) legal (I know the way they did it and their intentions made it illegal but...) in the first place.

At least their not going after all the people that bought from them because it is sure to include SOME hobby chemists or pyrotechies that were just not very good shoppers.

JohnWW - 9-5-2008 at 07:37

Where did they get their bulk supplies of red P from in the first place? Or did they make their own, by reducing phosphates (e.g. ground-up rock phosphate), and if so, how did they do it?

Pulverulescent - 9-5-2008 at 08:09

IMHO, circumventing laws which should not exist should be a moral right.

'Like synthesising AA, for instance!

Any profits resulting from that is more or less incidental!

These fucking prohibitions diminish us all!

And I have two good reasons for voicing my opposition. . .

P

soxhlet - 9-5-2008 at 08:25

Quote:
The only problem I have with this is that red phosphorus is not technically illegal to order, sell or import(?).

MJP is aware that listed chemicals are illegal to sell and/or import without obtaining registration. Furthermore, the buyer is an active coconspirator in any illegal distribution scheme.
Quote:
At least their not going after all the people that bought from them because it is sure to include SOME hobby chemists or pyrotechies that were just not very good shoppers

Not true. Look at Operation Red Fusion. DEA went after KNO3 customers for several years prior to indicting the UK couple.

Also, if interested, go to Brian Howes youtube and watch the three part BBC documentary on KNO3.

Howes was initially raided in 2004 and the customer list was given to DEA. In summer of 2005 the customer list was raided in USA and labs were found in some 15 states. In 2006, KNO3 internet communications were being intercepted as part of the terrorist surveillance program.

I hope the Scottish High Court refuses extradition as well. However, I don’t hold out much hope. This case is very similar to a 2003 case where GBL was shipped in San Francisco and extradition was granted.

Pulverulescent - 9-5-2008 at 08:45

Two of the chemical elements (non-radioactive) are now virtually outlawed!

How fucking sick is that?

Does it make anyone else want to throw up?

P

Sauron - 9-5-2008 at 16:58

That varies from country to country. In some places red P is available, and so is Iodine. Where I am, red P is not available, without a special MOD permit, but Iodine is unrestricted. And here there is a substantial meth problem. The authorities do not target the useful pecursors so much - they just summarily execute the meth cooks and dealers.

I regret not being able to obtain red P for experimental purposes.

The meth cooks are chasing big money and care nothing for the risks or the consequences for others. Consumed by greed.

Likewise, the operators of kno3.com were chasing money, thought they had found a niche and miscalculated their legal liability. More casualties of their own greed and avarice.

MagicJigPipe - 9-5-2008 at 18:25

It's too bad we can't throw everyone in jail for being consumed by greed and not caring about others.

I just think the prison sentences for meth cooks and dealers are way too extreme. There are a lot more people in the world that cause a lot more death and destruction than meth cooks that operate within the law.

See, and I started out thinking all meth cooks should go to prison for life. Now I try to look at the big picture. Yes, they hurt people. But what about everyone else? Why must we go after people that are just misled (don't mean to hurt anybody) and are going through a rough spot in their life? We should go get the people who KNOW what they are doing and mean to do it. Or we should at least have to prove that the meth they are selling and/or making actually killed or severly maimed someone (even then, the problem with this country is that we blame everyone else for our mistakes. How about IT'S THE USER'S FAULT. Kind of like how it's the alcoholic's fault and not the people who made the beer). I mean, my ex-girlfriend's father died of hepatitus caused by a lifetime of drinking. By the same standard that we use to justify the hatred of methcooks, she should have been able to sue the alcohol companies and have the CEOs (and possibly even the people that make the booze) thrown in jail. What's the difference other than law? One or the other. Double standards like that should not exist. It's hypocritical, IMO.

None of this makes sense anyway... We are all heading down a terrible road.

I thought the red phosphorus/iodine thing was basically just the USA. But yes, Pulverulescent, it does make me want to projectile vomit. In fact, I'll be right back, I have to run to the bathroom AGAIN.

[Edited on 5-9-2008 by MagicJigPipe]

Magpie - 9-5-2008 at 20:45

I can't think of anything more arrogant than proscribing one the building blocks of the universe.

MagicJigPipe - 9-5-2008 at 22:02

In a sane world someone would have stood up and said, "You can't ban a fucking non-fissionable element!"

Then "You're right. What were we thinking? What do we think we are, gods?"

Heh, yeah right...

What about when technology provides a way for citizens to induce the fusion of hydrogen? Are they really going to try and ban hydrogen (say bye to water and most organic compounds!)? That's laughable. What's next? Any compound that contains red phosphorus or iodine? Yes! Iodides are next!

[Edited on 5-10-2008 by MagicJigPipe]

Sauron - 10-5-2008 at 02:46

Industry still can buy red P, white P, I2.

Academia and institutions as well.

Anyone with a List 1 License and too.

No one has banned or proscribed anything, they have taken steps to keep these out of the hands of meth cooks and in the process they have inconvenienced hobbyists.

So don't overstate your case. Hyperbole is uncalled for.

Pulverulescent - 10-5-2008 at 04:05

Quote:
Originally posted by Sauron
The authorities do not target the useful pecursors so much - they just summarily execute the meth cooks and dealers.

Sauron, you're an obviously intelligent man and you seem magnanimous by nature, but, with respect, doesn't your statement, above, delivered in a somewhat off-hand manner, seem a stark contrast with your Edmund Burke quote?

Burke intended that (maxim) as a serious observation!!!

Not just a throwaway remark!

And of course, If I were in industry or academia, which I'm certainly not, I'd have few problems with acquisition, but that's not the point.

My interest in chemistry does give me great pleasure, but Thai sticks, for example, have, for me at least, that same potential.

P

Sauron - 10-5-2008 at 04:33

I am simply pointing out that hobbyists have little leverage.

Where I am I can buy all the I2 I want but no red P. I have uses for both. It is very unlikely that I will be granted a MOD permit to import any red P. Not impossible but probably more trouble than I dem it to be worth.

So what has my response been?

I have found workarounds to virtually every reaction for which I thought elemental phosphorus would be required.

So I will not be applying for that permit and jumping through hoops. Nor will I be harvesting striker strips from matchbooks/boxes. Nor rending my garments and gnashing my teeth.

As for the inconveniencing of my fellow hobbyists by the unavailability of red P, to them, I sympathize but I blame the meth cooks for this situation, and much more. I disagree with MJP that they should be flogged with wet noodles and sternly talked to, then released. I do not think their sentences are out of line. They are ruining a LOT more than our hobby.

Pulverulescent - 10-5-2008 at 04:41

I was tempted to make remarks on the situation on your adopted doorstep, but that's a different ball-game---another arena altogether!

Mad, mad world, though, Don't you think?

P

Pulverulescent - 10-5-2008 at 04:47

I believe the source of all our problems is political expediency; it really is that simple!

If you can contradict that--- go ahead!

P

Sauron - 10-5-2008 at 05:04

That's both vague and broad-brush. Anywayas I have said before, and which seems to surprise some, my personal belief is that the WOD is a lost cause, and should be abandoned. I have made detailed proposals of how the aftermath ought to be arranged to disempower organized crime (drug traffickers) and prevent the emergence of any new black market(s). In short give the stuff away and let people poison themselves. Meanwhile anyone trying to resell the stuff would be dealth with very harshly indeed.

I hope that brief encapsulation will suffice as I do not wish to repeat myself, lengthier earlier threads on this are available via FSE.

As for Burma, if you knew the bilateral history you would know why Thai sympathy is muted. Basically people here regard 100,000 dead Burmese as...a good start. You must understand that Burma three times invaded Siam, the last time was around the time of the American Revolution, and they totally destroyed the Siamese capitol, Ayudhya, which was a glittering metropolis of a million people when London and Paris were villages. The Burmese left hardly a stone on top of another, cut the heads off all the Buddha images, and carried off many Siamese into slavery. This is a scenario I would expect a fellow Gael to understand. My wife is from that province, 150 miles north of Bangkok. I have been there many times.

So do not judge the Thais too harshly, the Irish are not the only people to have suffered at the hands of their neighbors. Fortunately unlike the 800 year Irish occupation and enslavement, the Burmese occupation only lasted a decade before the Siamese drove them out, relocated the capitol to a more stragically defensible position (where it remains and I reside) and established the present Chakri Synasty.

Pulverulescent - 10-5-2008 at 05:37

'Sorry Sauron, I'm inclined to let that particular bug-bear of unwarranted political interference in people's lives get to me!

Recently I went as far as printing-out a "Category 2 Drug Precursors" form from the BHO with the intention of filling it out to get a miserable 500ml Ac20.

I then rang the Home Office, and the minion (Smallman) I spoke to told me my chances of getting temporary license were next to zero.

The reason I gave was "acetylating small wood sculptures" which is a legitimate use.

Had the reason been genuine, I still couldn't have gotten it!

I still have the form! Fuck them to hell!

And 'sorry about the littering f-words!

P

Pulverulescent - 10-5-2008 at 05:51

The other thing is, I don't think the past should influence the present in the way it does.

And yes, I know, opinions, like assholes, are things everyone has one of.

P

Sauron - 10-5-2008 at 06:07

But the past always influences the present.

Ask the Germans. Ask the Jews.

Ask the Palestinians.

Ask the people in Northern Ireland.

If Michael Collins were alive you could ask him.

Ask the people of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Lots of them were not alive in 1945, yet they are still being affected, genetically.

Those who ignore the lessons of history will be condemned to repeat them.

With a bit of effort you can prepare your own Ac2O. Are you allowed acetyl chloride?

Pulverulescent - 10-5-2008 at 06:34

'Come on Sauron, you know as well as I do, history is an endless series of depressing re-runs.

Minor details change but that's about it!

As for AA, I have a possible source for for acetyl chloride--- if it fails, it's the ketene route.

It won't be tomorrow, though, but I'll work something out.

P

MagicJigPipe - 10-5-2008 at 07:49

I'm not sure exactly what I believe right now, actually. I think methcooks should be punished but I also think users should be held accountable for their own actions. Either way, both parties need help and are not necessarily bad people. Some cooks are just "junkies" themselves trying to support their habit. I don't think a lot of these people should be thrown in prison for the majority of their adult lives because they went down the wrong path.

I suppose I just think the prison terms are WAY TOO LONG. Perhaps the longer terms should be reserved for repeat offenders.

I just wish there was a way to not harm ANYONE. Even methcooks are people that don't actually set out to harm anyone and/or don't even know or believe they are causing harm. Punished? Yes. As severly as they are now? No.

All the other stuff I'm still developing an opinion about, sort of.

12AX7 - 10-5-2008 at 10:55

It's what, Norway or Sweeden where they're giving drugs for free? Evidently administering drugs in a safe environment is cheaper than persecution, so they save money. With druggies off the streets, demand is down and the streets are safer with less policing. Sounds like a good plan to persue elsewhere; perhaps on city level at first, then state, then finally federally if it works out well.

Tim

MagicJigPipe - 10-5-2008 at 11:25

I agree. There is no doubt in my mind that this country would be a better place with a system like that. Too many innocent people are dying because of prohibition for a plethera of reasons.

I remember reading somewhere that the percentage of Americans who admitted to using drugs was 1.3% when all drugs were virtually legal and 1.3% now. That could be because people are scared to give out that information but I believe that drug use would only go up slighlty. Use goes up slighlty, deaths from murder, overdose and abuse go down exponentially. That seems like a good trade to me.

Oh shit! We shouldn't let this become a drug control debate so we don't get the thread locked!

woelen - 10-5-2008 at 11:30

In the Netherlands this is done as well. People, addicted to heroin can get heroin, or methadon. This indeed helps keeping them from the street but there are some side-effects, such as people selling the received materials if they do not need it as much as they used to. There also is another side effect, which makes it hard to find a good location for such distribution centres. A lot of persons are attracted by this kind of centres, and these persons usually are of the type, which are not welcomed by the people in the direct neighbourhood of the distribution centre.

Best of course is to try to get people clean and getting rid of all the trouble. In the Netherlands we also have such places, which try to make people really clean. These are called "The hope", pointing to the hope of having a normal life again, with a job and normal living standards. Drugs really sucks and whatever "solution" is chosen (be it "The hope" or distributing methadon) the life of such persons already is completely ruined. In NL we are quite lax about drugs, but this definitely has its downside as well (also attracting people from Germany, France or even further, who cannot get the stuff in their own country).

Pulverulescent - 10-5-2008 at 11:54

One person dying from the effects of prohibition is one too many, MagicJigPipe.

And since this is a legal/societal issue we shouldn't worry too much about Polverone taking exception.

Genuine chemistry hobbyists, as most of us are, should not be affected by arbitrary, unnecessary laws.

We could probably make some, possibly small, contribution to the science if we had the access to reagents and apparatus industry and academia has.

But we're debarred by law and that's just fucking not acceptable!

P

Pulverulescent - 10-5-2008 at 13:03

I can't buy even a piece of PGM alloy without jumping through a few hoops to get it.

For the life of me, I can't see why Pt/Ir carries restrictions, aside of price, but suppliers won't sell to me as an individual.

P

Pulverulescent - 10-5-2008 at 13:18

Quote:
Originally posted by Sauron
But the past always influences the present.

. . .and in all the wrong ways. . .

P

MagicJigPipe - 10-5-2008 at 13:36

There's methadone clinics in the US, too, woelen. Diversion of prescription drugs is going to be a problem with or without prohibition. Only without prohibition less people will be in prison and less parents torn from their children just because they had a couple of pain pills that they didn't have a prescription for. It's stupid, horrible and just plain wrong for stuff like that to happen. I think it is one of the worst human right's violations in history.

I know someone personally who had her children taken away because she was arrested for possession of a prescription drug for which she had no prescription. Taking the pills in no way diminished her ability to be a good mother (in fact, she was taking them for pain because no doctor would touch her with a ten foot pole which is common in the US because of how doctors fear the DEA) and she was a functioning member of society. Yet now she is in prison and her kids have to live (I assume) in a foster home. I know she didn't have much family so I'm almost certain that's what happened.

How is that right? How is that justice?

joeflsts - 10-5-2008 at 13:43

This thread is a case study in maturity and responsibility.

Joe

Pulverulescent - 10-5-2008 at 14:24

Quote:
I think it is one of the worst human right's violations in history.

If not the very worst!

P

joeflsts - 10-5-2008 at 16:26

Quote:
Originally posted by Pulverulescent
Quote:
I think it is one of the worst human right's violations in history.

If not the very worst!

P

What do you classify as the worst.....

Joe

soxhlet - 10-5-2008 at 18:53

If those who own/moderate this site have a couple of IQ points to rub together so as to obtain a clue, they will refrain from controlling/censoring popular discussions of the pros and cons of chemistry even if the pros and cons relate to socially abhorrent topics such as drugs and bombs.

The population of pinheaded geeks is insufficient to obtain profit from underline links.

I have been acquainted with clandestine chemistry for several decades. Plenty long to see both the pros of thrilling growth in knowledge and the cons of see friends dying from drug usage.

I have managed much success as a leader of engineering in a major corporation. But, when I here that recreational substance usage harm the “morals of society”,, suddenly, I want to puke.

I rarely even drink.

The “morals of society”? So, anyone who uses drugs doesn’t count as a member of society. Sort of set a new high mark in self-congratulatory exclusive arrogance. Fuck the morals of those who think they know best.

MagicJigPipe - 10-5-2008 at 19:49

Like I said, it's a double standard. It's ignorant and arrogant. People who base their morals on law have no moral fiber to begin with.

How hypocritical is it that those same people will condemn someone for using drugs (even if it doesn't really harm them, as in the use, not ABuse) and then go have a drink, a smoke and then a benadryl to help them sleep?

I used to take alprazolam without a prescription occasionally to help with the "anxiety" I used to have because the doctor was apparently too "afraid" to prescribe it to me (I wasted over $100 on that visit, by the way). Should I have gone to jail for that? Should the person that gave them to me have gone to jail? If so, why? How would that benefit society? What good would that have done? Am I a bad person?

If it weren't for that medication I probably would have lost my job at the time. Apparently prohibitionists can't even imagine that drugs can be "used for good". It's rediculous, IMO.

Sauron - 10-5-2008 at 19:55

MJP, I am sorry to have to say that it is clear that you have not the slightest idea of what a world class human rights abuse might be, much less the worst one in history.

You really think what you are talking about deserves to be on the same page as:

-- the Holocaust

-- the Cambodian genocide

-- the Armenian genocide

-- the Soviet purges and the Gulags

-- the Cultural Revolution and Great Leap Forward in China

-- countless African tribal bloodbaths, e.g.Rwanda, the Congo, or what is likely to soon occur in the former Rhodesia

the rape of Nanking

Your lack of perspective is truly astonishing.

[Edited on 11-5-2008 by Sauron]

MagicJigPipe - 10-5-2008 at 20:56

Okay, the most subversive. One that the entire world believes is right. Seemingly clouded by the most widespread propaganda campaign in history. I can't think of a good word right now but it's right there for everyone to see yet no one sees it because they are apathetic or think there is no way it could be wrong. I was exaggerating when I said the worst in history. I know much about history (not as much as you. Hopefully, I will when I get older and wiser). It is one of my favorite "subjects".

I made a mistake. It is one of the worst in history. Which, technically means that it just isn't the best.

Sauron, our opinions on this matter may differ but I believe strongly that when you get down to it we have the same principles. I just happened to be personally affected by this madness and therefore have a different view on how it is and how it should be.

Sauron - 10-5-2008 at 22:24

No need for me to belabor the point further. But it is not one of the worst travesties of human rights in history, and not even an also-ran. It is just that you are a one-issue individual, you seem to be a broken record on the subject, and my recommendation is that you give it a rest and diversify your repetoire.

And I say that amicably.

Pulverulescent - 11-5-2008 at 04:25

IMO, comparing various atrocities one against the other seems a bit futile; we should be more concerned with the here-and -now.

The WOD/WOT is ongoing, openended and more or less global!

These evils (a word I don't often use, being atheist) are variants of each other.

And there's barely a glimmer of light at the end of this particular stygian tunnel!

P

Pulverulescent - 11-5-2008 at 04:27

Various past atrocities, that is. . .

P

MagicJigPipe - 11-5-2008 at 07:32

It's simply the only issue I care a lot about that gets brought up on this forum. The other one I care about most I can't talk about here. The rest don't affect amatuer science.

This only became one of my issues just very recently. It's not out of my system yet.

By the way, Sauron, I'm surprised you even mentioned the Armenian genocide. You are the only other person I have seen so far that has even heard of it. Why is it that there seems to be a lack of printed information (way less than other points in history) on the subject? It's strange. In fact, I was never taught about it in school. Not once was it even mentioned that I remember.

[Edited on 5-11-2008 by MagicJigPipe]

Sauron - 11-5-2008 at 08:06

The Armenians remember.

One of my uncles by marriage is the first generation of his family born in US and his father escaped from Armenia to the US after seeing the Turks slaughter his wife and all his children. In the US he married again and sired a new family, my uncle is his oldest son. I remember the old man from my childhood.

You don't forget that sort of thing.

I am told that a lot of Armenians not killed by the Turks were picked off by the Kurds.

[Edited on 11-5-2008 by Sauron]

MagicJigPipe - 11-5-2008 at 08:31

It seems that everyone knows about Hitler and the holocaust but how many people know about the (almost as horrible) atrocities committed by the Ottoman Empire during and shortly after WWI? Not many. It should not be forgotten, however, and it's significance should not be diminished and/or overshadowed by what certain national socialists did.

Some seem to deny or refuse to believe (even the Turkish government!) that any of these atrocities occurred during WWI, especially the Armenian "campaign" which also happens to be the worst of them all, IMO.

[Edited on 5-11-2008 by MagicJigPipe]

Pulverulescent - 11-5-2008 at 08:37

Prohibition first really came to my attention in '74/75 when I found marijuana to be the perfect antidote to insomnia.

But I've been fascinated by the sights, sounds and smells of detonations for as long as I can remember.

It was (almost?) a guilty secret with me for many years---but I'm out of my "chemical closet" for a good while now.

I can sympathise with gay people, though.

'Sorry for going non-topical again (last time!)!

P

Pulverulescent - 11-5-2008 at 08:57

Getting back to KN03, it seems meth-related material on one of their computers is the only evidence of intent LE has but even that's still fairly flimsy evidence.

Someone may have made this point, already---it's a long thread.

P

MagicJigPipe - 11-5-2008 at 09:03

I sure hope possession of information related to the synthesis of drugs that can be illegal isn't enough to prove intent. If so, I'd be screwed.

I also write down my ponderings in a notebook. For example, at one point I was wondering why people were so fascinated by phenylalanine so I set out to determine why on a piece of paper. Shit I suppose I should destroy stuff like that. Isn't it horrible when it's not safe to possess information even when you're not doing anything technically illegal and the info is just for reference.

As I always say, it's a sad state of affairs.

Pulverulescent - 11-5-2008 at 09:13

Don't give the bastards *anything* they can point to, MagicJigPipe!

P

anotheronebitesthedust - 26-6-2008 at 17:02

Look at Uncle Fester's Methamphetamine book. AFAIK it is sold worldwide and he has not been arrested. I also believe he doesn't participate in the activities he writes about, thus explaining why he hasn't been arrested yet.

BTW I also believe that locking millions of people in cages for non-violent, victimless crimes and taking away their human rights for ridiculous amounts of time is an atrocity.

(I wonder who's gonna post a comment on how drugs in fact do create many victims. As if drug addicts would be living perfect lives if drugs weren't available. As if those people with the predisposition to be self-destructive wouldn't be ruining their lives if only drugs weren't available. As if those people who wanted to get high wouldn't be getting high if only drugs weren't available. As if drugs wouldn't be available if only we could lock up another 2 million people.)

MagicJigPipe - 26-6-2008 at 19:48

I totally agree with you but let's not go into this snakepit of a topic.

Sauron - 26-6-2008 at 22:13

It's also totally OT for a thread about kno3.com

GordonBrown - 22-10-2009 at 08:40

Why has the KNO3.COM thread stopped?

hissingnoise - 22-10-2009 at 08:53

That's a perfectly good question!
And what comes to mind are the words novelty, off and worn. . .
Next!

[Edited on 22-10-2009 by hissingnoise]

entropy51 - 22-10-2009 at 14:24

Quote: Originally posted by hissingnoise  
That's a perfectly good question!
And what comes to mind are the words novelty, off and worn. . .
Next!
Beating, horse, dead.

watson.fawkes - 22-10-2009 at 15:12

Quote: Originally posted by entropy51  
Beating, horse, dead.
Head, zombie, shotgun.

Chemologist - 22-10-2009 at 19:16

Kite, Oilslick, Candybar

devongrrl - 4-12-2009 at 11:07

Quote:

It seems that everyone knows about Hitler and the holocaust

<rant>Another thing that really yanks my chain is the so-called jewish holocaust.

The Jews were not the only people victimized and murdered by Hitler's regime. So were Gays, Gypsies and many other socio-ethnic groups that were inconvenient to Adolf's perverted idea of ethnic purity.</rant>

hissingnoise - 4-12-2009 at 12:51

Quote: Originally posted by devongrrl  

The Jews were not the only people victimized and murdered by Hitler's regime. So were Gays, Gypsies and many other socio-ethnic groups that were inconvenient to Adolf's perverted idea of ethnic purity.

Yes that's true but Jews were by far the majority of those who were murdered in the death camps!

devongrrl - 5-12-2009 at 00:35

I did say "vicitmized & murdered".

Yes, sickening & gross.

That anyone could be treated in this way is totally perverse & unacceptable.

[Edited on 5-12-2009 by devongrrl]

hissingnoise - 5-12-2009 at 15:45

You're quite right, Ms. Devon---even Jews deserve respect!
Let's leave it there. . .

Vogelzang - 5-12-2009 at 16:16

The label on my bottle of KNO3 is being attacked by something, maybe HCl gas leaking from a bottle of hydrochloric acid. Has anyone besides me tried to get a bottle of KNO3 from a pharmacist? He asked me what I wanted to use it for and I said hydroponics. He didn't ask me what I was going to grow. :P

KNO3.jpg - 42kB

[Edited on 6-12-2009 by Vogelzang]

[Edited on 6-12-2009 by Vogelzang]

IrC - 5-12-2009 at 19:54

Quote: Originally posted by MagicJigPipe  

By the way, Sauron, I'm surprised you even mentioned the Armenian genocide. You are the only other person I have seen so far that has even heard of it. Why is it that there seems to be a lack of printed information (way less than other points in history) on the subject? It's strange. In fact, I was never taught about it in school. Not once was it even mentioned that I remember.
-------------------
On that:

http://www.armenian-genocide.org/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denial_of_the_Armenian_Genocide
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armenian_Genocide

On topic: two quotes:

Pulverulescent
"Getting back to KN03, it seems meth-related material on one of their computers is the only evidence of intent LE has but even that's still fairly flimsy evidence."
----

Assume RP is legal where they are, i.e. the location of their computer containing this data. In England I believe RP is legal to possess IIRC. The crime they are charged with is in Arizona. Therefore the only evidence against them would also have to be in the US. I do not see where Arizona would have the authority to obtain or use evidence on their computer in England where they have committed no crime. Just because they had an interest in how things are made on their computer there in England does not prove they conspired to help a customer they do not know in the US make something illegal here. For all anyone knows the customer may have wanted to experiment with making phosphides of semiconducter related elements such as germanium*.

It would seem this point would be blatantly obvious to even an idiot for a lawyer defending them here. If I am wrong about this it is very ominous for anyone having an interest in real science whether hobby or professional. Especially disconcerting is the thought that US authorities would have the right to obtain and use such evidence from one country in another. If so this is a failing on the part of English law. Possibly a minor point but it relates to the next quote.

*I mention this since I have desired to experiment with phosphorus to make exotic phosphides over the years wanting to invent better laser materials but have never done so due to the laws here relating to phosphorus in whatever form. In effect so many laws like this over the years have resulted in many ideas not being pursued by myself. Sure if I were LE I would most likely assume their intent and this thought has long kept me from buying unique hard to find items from companies whos list appeared to be too drug related including from the KNO3 under discussion in this thread.

I have tried to be "street-wise", not wanting to end up on a list somewhere under suspicion for doing anything they would imply and try to charge me with even though I have never made drugs nor would I ever. This however seems to be of no use as a defense for people with legitimate interest in the hobby of chemistry. I have no doubt I could look in the house of every person in law enforcement and find two or more items which they have used to convict people for making drugs when they found similar things in someone else's home. Possibly they are often correct in their assumptions but this does not prove every soul playing with chemistry has criminal intent.

I have no doubt however in this day and age they would still rather jail the entire human race than allow the chance to exist that they might be a criminal no matter what the real reason someone had for possessing anything they have seen used somewhere else for a crime. This seems to be the current mindset we have to live with if we are to pursue science outside of some government approved lab.
-----

MagicJigPipe
"I sure hope possession of information related to the synthesis of drugs that can be illegal isn't enough to prove intent. If so, I'd be screwed."
-------

Everything I have looked at on this subject indicates they do use this. If you have the recipe and even one precursor they can and do use this to convict many times every day in America. If it were up to me I would take all the meth cooks to a deserted island and nuke it. Just how I feel about it. However like most with a chemistry interest I have copied information from drugs to explosives over the years for the sole purpose of knowing all things related to chemistry and many other sciences. However if I have chemicals for many reasons for which my intent was legitimate I do not also keep these old archives in the same location. Reading the posts I quoted now I wonder if this does me any good. If I left an old Mr Natural comic from the late 60's in England and they find NaOH in my lab here do I now have to fear this will be used to convict me when I have never commited a crime? Has it gone this badly for amateur chemistry in America?

FYI: "Mr Natural comic" a really funny comic book sold in head shops around 40 years ago which usually had recipes for making hash and other various and sundry items here and there in the issues which were printed.

Somehow I ended up stuck inside my first quote but what the hell too brain taxing to figure out how to get out.

S.C. Wack - 9-12-2009 at 19:12

Pardon me for interrupting the yapping, but

Quote: Originally posted by GordonBrown  
Why has the KNO3.COM thread stopped?

That would be because there was nothing to report. Until today:

http://news.scotsman.com/scotland/Suicide-threat-mother-lose...

Published Date: 10 December 2009
By Brian Horne

A SCOTSWOMAN, who has claimed she will kill herself rather than face trial in the United States, has failed to persuade judges to halt her extradition.

Kerry Howes, 31, and her husband Brian Howes, 46, of Bo'ness, West Lothian, are wanted in Arizona to face allegations they sold chemicals used in crystal meth over the internet to drug dealers.

Howes fears that, if convicted, she faces "decades of incarceration" in the US and will never see her five children again, psychiatrist Dr Pradeep Pasupuleti told the Court of Criminal Appeal in Edinburgh.

Howes spent seven months in Cornton Vale prison during an earlier stage of the extradition process, when she wrote letters saying that she would commit suicide, the court heard.

But the judges also heard assurances that if sent back to face charges, Howes would be on suicide watch and would be well taken care of. Further, if convicted, she might be able to serve any sentence handed out in Scotland.

Lord Reed, sitting with Lord Mackay Lord Osborne ruled, yesterday that extradition would not be "unjust or oppressive".

They noted there was no history of self-harm or suicide attempts and that Howes' mental health problems "are not considered to be of the most serious character".

An Edinburgh sheriff previously ruled that the Howes be extradited, but they had asked the court of Criminal Appeal to overturn the ruling.

S.C. Wack - 23-12-2019 at 16:45

These people came up today in a different thread; bit of a late update. BTW it appears that records of what went where were retained and given to US LE. They were extradited, sentenced, and seem to have fallen in a black hole since then. Mr. Howes was a bit naughty in other ways and this did not help his case in the UK courts.

Friday 26 April 2013 linlithgowgazette.co.uk

Kerry Ann Shanks appeared at Phoenix District Court last Tuesday and 
admitted one count of supplying 100g of red phosporous to what turned out to be an undercover Drug Enforcement Administration agent.

While legal to sell in the UK, the chemical is classified in America as an illegal import, as it can be used in the manufacture of the drug crystal meth.

Kerry Ann (35) was flown to America on April 12, after the US District Attorney agreed to accept a much reduced plea providing she consented to extradition.

A further 81 related charges against her were dropped and her release from prison was immediate, due to seven months spent in Cornton Vale on remand in 2007.

She had potentially faced a trial and up to 20 years in prison, a $250,000 fine, or both.

This week lawyer Graeme Brown told the Journal and Gazette his relieved client was awaiting deportation, in the ‘Arizona equivalent of Dungavel’ (Immigration Removal Centre).

He thought it was very lonely and few people spoke English but Mr Brown said: “It’s a short term loss for what will be an enormous weight lifted off her shoulders when she is back.”

As far as he was concerned, she should have been home by now and had been a ‘little let down’, but he had been quoted a ‘couple of weeks’.

He will ask the Scottish Goverment to step in if her American stay looks like being any longer.

Kerry Ann, and now estranged husband Brian Howes (49), had fought a lengthy, high-profile UK legal battle against extradition to America, where they were accused of unlawfully importing chemicals for the production of crystal meth.

They had maintained it was part of a legimate fireworks business but in February Howes, extradited to Arizona last July, admitted 10 charges with the remaining 72 dropped.

In a plea agreement he confessed to knowing, or having reasonable cause to know, that some American customers buying chemicals from his companies online were misusing them for illegal purposes. Sentencing is on May 15.

Under the plea agreement, it will be recommended the court imposes a prison sentence at the lower-end of the scale and should Howes request to serve any sentence in the UK, this would be 
unopposed.

Mr Brown said this week: “Kerry Ann has always maintained that her involvement in this was very, very minimal if anything at all.

“It became the case the District Attorney was prepared to accept a much reduced plea provided that she consented to extradition.”

The family’s Bo’ness home was repossessed last year. Kerry Ann, who currently has five children in foster care, still had a ‘very strong appeal’ pending to the European Court of Human Rights, he said.

She had voluntarily waived an ECHR rule blocking her extradition, in order to travel to the USA.

Mr Brown said there were ‘huge lessons to be learnt’ from what had unfolded in his client’s case once lines of communication were established with American prosecutors after Howes’ extradition.

“The judge in the case raised the issue of why this couldn’t be done by video link,” he said.

-----------------------

PHOENIX - On May 14, 2013, Brian Howes, 49, of Bo’Ness, Falkirk, Scotland, United Kingdom, was sentenced by U.S. District Judge Reade to 70 months incarceration, three years supervised release, and a $1,000 special assessment. Howes pleaded guilty on Feb. 4, 2013, to ten separate counts of distributing a listed (Red Phosphorus) while knowing and having reasonable cause to believe that it would be used to manufacture a controlled (methamphetamine).

Pages:  1  2