Sciencemadness Discussion Board

correct size ring stand for 1000ml sep funnel?

Db33 - 1-1-2017 at 10:17

I have UTFSE and i cant seem to find the right answer. I have a 1000ml Sep funnel, all i want to know is what the ideal iron ring (for a lab stand) inner diameter size to get. I tought the ones that came with the stand would work but they are all too small. I figured someone with a 1000ml sep funnel would know the best option for this.

Meltonium - 1-1-2017 at 11:59

For my sep funnels, I just use a clamp on the stopper neck. It seems to work fine, but I'm not sure if it would be safe for a 1L because of the potential weight on the neck.

aga - 1-1-2017 at 12:12

Open up the normal clamp until it fits under the widest part of the funnel.

Tilt the clamp so the top and middle fingers are level.

I learned this magic by browsing the internet for 20 years (not).

What are you going to use the sep funnel for, and can we take a peek when you do that separation, pretty please ?

1L sep sounds like it's gonna be awesome !

JJay - 1-1-2017 at 20:34

I would like to know the answer to this also. I've clamped my 1L sep funnel at the stopper neck before, but that's slightly unwieldy, and I'd definitely prefer to put it in a ring stand.

My funnel is the common largely conical pear-shaped type, just the garden variety, not bulbous or with a long neck.

[Edited on 2-1-2017 by JJay]

j_sum1 - 1-1-2017 at 20:48

I would think the correct size is the one that seems most stable.
I bought a three set of rings on eBay for not much. For my sep funnel the correct size is medium.
I think it is possible to overthink these things.

Texium - 1-1-2017 at 20:50

Oh come on guys, don't y'all own calipers or at least tape measures?

Just measure the diameter of your funnel at the level where you want it to sit in the ring and purchase a ring with that inner diameter!

Quote: Originally posted by Meltonium  
For my sep funnels, I just use a clamp on the stopper neck. It seems to work fine, but I'm not sure if it would be safe for a 1L because of the potential weight on the neck.
I would not recommend doing this with any sep funnel larger than maybe 60 mL, and even then avoid it if possible. The method that aga describes is better, and I use it sometimes. I hadn't ever had a problem using it at home before, but of course when I tried it one time in Organic I lab last semester (with a skeptical look from the TA), I somehow knocked the 125 mL sep funnel off the clamp and had to pay $140 for it while grumbling about how I could hook them up with one from Dr.Bob for a fraction of that price...

aga - 2-1-2017 at 05:42

Quote: Originally posted by zts16  
Oh come on guys, don't y'all own calipers or at least tape measures?

... or a bit of steel bar and some brute force ?

ring.JPG - 76kB stand.JPG - 80kB

DJF90 - 2-1-2017 at 07:49

Quote: Originally posted by aga  

What are you going to use the sep funnel for, and can we take a peek when you do that separation, pretty please ?

1L sep sounds like it's gonna be awesome !

I feel obliged to share a pic for your enjoyment, Aga...

20140724_123953.jpg - 1.4MB

Edit: Theres also these pics I posted before...
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=26378&...

[Edited on 2-1-2017 by DJF90]

aga - 2-1-2017 at 09:37

Jeez ! Thanks DJF90 !

Looks like some serious cap-shake-and-hernia there.

DJF90 - 2-1-2017 at 10:12

Nope. On that scale the sep funnel is stationary; phase mixing is performed in a 20 L flask and then transferred by vacuum into the 10 L sep funnel. You can see the whole setup in duplicate by following the link at the bottom of my previous post.

Magpie - 2-1-2017 at 11:35

I have a 500ml sep funnel which I don't mind shaking - but a 1000 ml would another story.

DJF90: in your pictures in the linked thread you show an IKA mixer stirring a flask in a red bucket. What kind of gland or seal is being used there? Is it just ptfe on ptfe or something more sophisticated?

DJF90 - 2-1-2017 at 11:49

@Magpie - Its a PTFE gland from Cowie:
http://www.cowie.com/catalogue/guides.htm
...details on the page

Magpie - 2-1-2017 at 12:49

Thanks. I have never seen one for lab use before. My seal is just a ptfe bushing. Not real effective but better than nothing.

Metacelsus - 2-1-2017 at 13:34

Quote: Originally posted by Magpie  
I have a 500ml sep funnel which I don't mind shaking - but a 1000 ml would another story.

Just try shaking a 4 L funnel with 2.25 L chloroform and 1 L sat. NH4Cl.
Oh, and don't forget, the wash step needs to be repeated 3 times.

(4 L is the biggest sep funnel our lab has, and shaking anything larger would just be ludicrous.)