Sciencemadness Discussion Board

latest glassware purchase

Pages:  1    3  ..  5

Db33 - 5-1-2017 at 08:01

i posted that i needed some good dry/wet chem storage bottles. So i found a lot on eBay the guy was selling the lot for $85 but he accepted my offer for $50 so im very happy with the deal. You cant see it but theres also a top shelf with a lot of tiny vial sized bottles. I actually got this little cupboard specifically for this so i think its a pretty good start.

IMG_0177.jpg - 88kB

Sulaiman - 5-1-2017 at 08:39

very pretty !

I would get some cheap glass saucers/plates, one per bottle,
as I would inevitably get dribbles that would spoil the wood.
The saucers also enforce spacing, allowing stuff to be seen and accessed.

Texium - 5-1-2017 at 09:42

Nice! If I'd seen that deal, I'd have snapped it up too (though I should be saving money so I guess it's good that I didn't).

Edit: Perhaps we can start using this thread as "latest glassware purchase" in general, like with the "Last chemical order" thread.

[Edited on 1-5-2017 by zts16]

JJay - 7-1-2017 at 15:24

I picked up this piece today from my mail agent, who recognized me by box number and asked a lot of questions, which is unusual. When I got home, there was literally a canine unit parked on the street out front. They drove away as I walked up.

IMG_20170107_130913.jpg - 398kB

Magpie - 7-1-2017 at 16:51

Quote: Originally posted by JJay  
I picked up this piece today from my mail agent, who recognized me by box number and asked a lot of questions

Why? Did this have to go through customs?

JJay - 7-1-2017 at 20:01

It did. The package was labelled as "glasses" but was obviously the wrong shape and size. This seller typically labels items with very specific and accurate language, so that is odd.

Edit: scratch that. I just left feedback on the transaction, and after checking my records, I realize that I actually purchased it from some fly-by-night operation from Taiwan with 98% positive feedback. I will not be buying anything from them again.

[Edited on 8-1-2017 by JJay]

unionised - 8-1-2017 at 02:12

Why abandon that supplier?
It's not their fault that your local law enforcement acts the way it does.
I suspect that I could turn "glassware" into "glasses" by running it through a few machine translations..

JJay - 8-1-2017 at 02:57

There's an unmarked black Impala sitting outside my bedroom window. There's assigned parking on that side, and it's just sitting there with nobody in it. Technically, it's illegally parked, in the fire lane, but the no parking signs are very small and far away from it. On the other side of the building I see a large grey van with tinted windows that I don't recognize.

If it's the cops, they're quickly going to get bored wasting police resources or bust some actual crime in the area, and I'm a law-abiding citizen, but the item is not extremely high quality; it has tiny bubbles visible at every joint. This is a device that has to withstand high vacuum, and it should be capable of withstanding high temperatures.

Magpie - 8-1-2017 at 06:37

May I ask what country you live in? Land of the free?

JJay - 8-1-2017 at 08:34

United States of America.

Land where they expect to find an advanced and active lab when people buy one of these?

Magpie - 8-1-2017 at 09:18

I have bought very little that has had to go through customs. I did buy some P2O5 from Poland a few years back. I got a card in the mail that said I had to go to my local post office to pick it up. I did that and found that the package had been opened by customs. But the bottle was clearly labeled and had not been opened.

When I was stocking my lab with glassware through ebay I was getting frequent deliveries of small boxes that had very little weight. My mailman would say "here's another box of air for you." I would just smile and say "thank you."

[Edited on 8-1-2017 by Magpie]

JJay - 8-1-2017 at 09:33

I regularly receive packages with declarations like "lab lifting platform" and "lab bottle for lab use" and "lab heating apparatus" without my agent so much as batting an eyelash, but "glasses" must have thrown them off.

JJay - 9-1-2017 at 21:24

Update: The Impala disappeared after about 24 hours, but the van with the tinted windows is still out there. I took a closer look. On the outside, it looks like a large, clean, white Dodge passenger van with tinted windows (it looked grey before, but it was dark outside). On the inside, I see that it's outfitted like a work van, with mounted wooden shelves on one side (in front of the glass windows). It's kind of unusual to retrofit a passenger van as a cargo van, especially a new one, but the really weird thing about it is that it's natural gas powered. I don't know of *any* vehicles around here that are natural gas powered except for government vehicles; to my knowledge, there's nowhere to refuel them except for government facilities. It has no markings except for a decal saying that it's natural gas powered and a small American flag. I'm tempted to post pictures, but then I'd probably get a call from an angry FBI agent complaining that I'm interfering with an investigation or something, LoL.

Meanwhile, my burette arrived today. I'm going to pick it up tomorrow.

[Edited on 10-1-2017 by JJay]

NeonPulse - 9-1-2017 at 23:47

Oooooh finally a place to show off our new glass!
Well I recently bought a two for the price of one deal which was two 300mm Liebig condensers.
They had graham and ahlihn condensers too but they wouldn't swap to get one of either so I got two of the more useful ones. Good price too.

IMG_1037.JPG - 2.2MB

Sulaiman - 10-1-2017 at 04:12

The 24/40 short path condenser arrived, it has a tiny Vigreaux section :)
Short_Path.jpg - 2.4MB

for size reference, with 500ml and 250ml flasks
ShortPat_Flasks.jpg - 2.2MB

The quality looks good, certainly a lot of glaswork for £12.79 from China ... well packed too.

j_sum1 - 10-1-2017 at 04:35

Sweet. It is not the same as the one you pictured but it is still cool. I have never seen a tiny vigreux like that before. I wonder if its effect would offset the added difficulty in cleaning.

Anyway, nice reminder -- I just snaffled a short path condenser for myself that I saw on eBay a couple of days ago. $20 AUD, so even cheaper than yours.

Sulaiman - 10-1-2017 at 05:17

I would prefer an easy-clean clear neck to a 0.x theoretical plates Vigreaux,
which makes high m.w. vacuum distillation a bit pointless,
never mind, it is cute and I'm sure to use it.
I may even determine a value for x

Db33 - 10-1-2017 at 13:26

my latest order arrived today, and its been coming from China for over a month so im very happy. The pieces are an aspirator, a claisen adapter, a 300mm Graham condenser, 300mm Liebig condenser, and a 250ml Pressure-equilizing addition funnel. I must say that the addition funnel ive tried several times to get but always came broken so im syked to have one not be broken. Also a graham condenser is quite beautiful in person i must say!. Now if only my reflux/dimroth condenser would arrive.

IMG_0179.jpg - 99kB

JJay - 10-1-2017 at 15:28

I'm testing out my new cow adapter, and it is pretty sweet. The only thing I don't like about the way it functions is the lack of proper drip tips; if I use a 24/40 receiver, I can't see the drops! I see normal drops with a 24/29 receiver, though.

Pressure-equalizing addition funnels are nice to have when doing reactions under anhydrous conditions or when doing additions of nasty volatiles like bromine. They are sometimes used as steam distillation receivers.

That's a nice Liebig.

[Edited on 10-1-2017 by JJay]

JJay - 10-1-2017 at 20:07

50 mL burette.. I had forgotten how big these things are. I placed a U.S. quarter in the picture.

IMG_20170110_190305.jpg - 340kB

Sulaiman - 10-1-2017 at 21:16

just don't forget how easy it is to damage the tip, especially when washing :)

P.S. I'm sure that you know, but I only recently discovered it,
after washing keep the tip up until dry to prevent limescale buildup,
I now even give a little suck to the open end to clear the tip.
(I know what has been in my burettes ... recently)
Rinsing with dH2O would be better, but that is more expensive.

P.P.S. if not already, order a new burette brush,
I find it quite difficult to have the inside clean enough to GUARANTEE that no droplets stick to the inside wall whilst titrating,
in my case the contamination is during storage mostly.

[Edited on 11-1-2017 by Sulaiman]

JJay - 11-1-2017 at 10:25

The tap water around here is extremely hard, so I usually use vinegar, acetone, and distilled water for cleaning glassware, especially the final washings. I didn't even think of getting a burette brush! That's a good idea....

Texium - 11-1-2017 at 13:22

Same, JJay. Any glassware that I can't fully towel dry gets rinsed with acetone, or at least distilled water. Acetone is cheap enough, and it only takes a very small amount. Plus if your glassware is nice and clean and not too wet it can be reused a few times.

Db33 - 11-1-2017 at 14:02

this isnt glassware but it goes with it so i figured id post it anyways. I have no idea why im so happy about this but i am. I finally got some real good thick-walled red vacuum tubing for my vacuum pump for distillations and filtration. I know its not the same as glassware but its something ive always wanted and was always somewhat elusive since only a few places have it. But yeah thanks Magpie, very happy about this.

IMG_0183.jpg - 106kB

j_sum1 - 11-1-2017 at 15:31

I have a good one.

2017-01-12 09.16.53.jpg - 1023kB

There is a bit of a story here.
I elected to have it sent to my work address to avoid having to deal with a police visit. It didn't show up. I assumed that it had been intercepted by customs as occasionally happens. My enquiries did not get me anywhere. I figured that at the low price I got it for I may as well order another one before the Christmas holidays.

On arrival back at work, this showed up. The package was wrapped in an additional plastic bag provided by Australia post. It was labelled as having been damaged in transit. On opening it I discovered that the inside package was completely intact. But the address label was almost unreadable -- maybe water damage.

So, in all likelihood, I will have my second cow adapter arriving in the next couple of days as well.

(Maybe I should send the spare to Tdep. He likes collecting unsolicited glassware.)

JJay - 11-1-2017 at 16:26

That does look like a nice one!

JJay - 17-1-2017 at 13:01

For those times when three necks isn't enough. This flask appears to be the Chinese "GG-17" brand, which I associate with quality flasks. It was the cheapest one on eBay too.

I've been trying to keep all of my adapters and condensers 24/40 and all of my flasks 24/29.

IMG_20170117_115046.jpg - 378kB

I also got a funnel and decided to jump on the short path condenser bandwagon.

I've been giving some thought to getting a 2L bulb for doing steam distillations.

[Edited on 17-1-2017 by JJay]

Db33 - 17-1-2017 at 14:41

haha, i always ask myself, WHEN is 3 neck not enough! its beautiful but i dont think id ever need a 4 neck. If i do thats what i have my claisen for! lol

JJay - 17-1-2017 at 14:49

If you're doing reflux and addition with overhead stirring while monitoring the temperature, it is desireable to have four necks, although you could possibly get away with three necks and a Claisen adapter or perhaps by doing additions through the reflux condenser.

My other 3000 mL is starting to show a lot of scratches and I was worried that some of them were in a star crack pattern, so I figured I should get another 3000 mL and thought I might as well get one with four necks.

[Edited on 18-1-2017 by JJay]

Sulaiman - 18-1-2017 at 01:07

I do not know how you will manage without a fifth neck, for 'poking' stuff :D

I have been seduced by jointed glassware, so nice and new and shiny

I am 'standardising' on NS24 (was NS10) and I already see how (occasionally) a 3 litre flask could be extremely useful,
and a tree of Claisen adapters does not seem such a good option as a multi-necked flask,
I'm jealous ;)

Herr Haber - 18-1-2017 at 04:31

Ow wow...

I just received a few items that were on backorder at my supplier. I originally placed the order in September !

So I got 2 x 30 ml brown glass vials with a solid PTFE disc as a liner (muuuch better than expected)
2x20ml clear glass vials with PTFE liner. Those are beautiful, I might get more to display the results of experiments.
And last but not least a pricey precision 1ml pipette

I feel bad that the seller had to pay DHL more than the value of the merchandise. The first part of my order arrived in 2 packages because of some items that were already on backorder and even got some freebies. Dang it's nice to work with honest people !

JJay - 18-1-2017 at 12:08

Quote: Originally posted by Sulaiman  

I am 'standardising' on NS24 (was NS10) and I already see how (occasionally) a 3 litre flask could be extremely useful,
and a tree of Claisen adapters does not seem such a good option as a multi-necked flask,
I'm jealous ;)

Yep, I need another neck with a septum for adding stuff like tert-butyllithium and also one for a pressure-equalized powder addition funnel with an auger... and one for a long gas inlet adapter for introducing gases into the reaction. Did I mention that I need to measure the pH as the reaction proceeds? :D

I bought the 4-neck flask from Nanshin. It was an excellent deal and very well packed with fast shipping.

JJay - 18-1-2017 at 12:25

Quote: Originally posted by Herr Haber  
Ow wow...

I just received a few items that were on backorder at my supplier. I originally placed the order in September !

So I got 2 x 30 ml brown glass vials with a solid PTFE disc as a liner (muuuch better than expected)
2x20ml clear glass vials with PTFE liner. Those are beautiful, I might get more to display the results of experiments.
And last but not least a pricey precision 1ml pipette

I feel bad that the seller had to pay DHL more than the value of the merchandise. The first part of my order arrived in 2 packages because of some items that were already on backorder and even got some freebies. Dang it's nice to work with honest people !

PTFE-lined vials are always nice to have. I need to get some precision pipettes too....

Sulaiman - 18-1-2017 at 13:55

'scuse my ignorance but what precision is a precision 1ml pipette ?

if 20 drops = 1 ml how do you achieve precision ?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drop_(unit)

Maroboduus - 18-1-2017 at 15:11

I've seen ones accurate to 0.01 ml advertised.

The ones I've seen are built like an autopipette.

Don't know how accurate the simpler ones get.

JnPS - 18-1-2017 at 15:56

Has anybody else experienced that mini-heart attack when unpacking new glassware and the bubble/shrink wrap crinkles just enough to make you think you broke the glass? :o

Herr Haber - 19-1-2017 at 03:28

'scuse my ignorance but what precision is a precision 1ml pipette ?

Sorry, poor choice of words, it was misleading.
It's a class A, 1ml volumetric pipette

Db33 - 19-1-2017 at 07:58

this order took over a month to arrive but im so syked... i love this dimroth/reflux condenser. Also is a drying tube, and a piece of glassware im going to use with my thermocouple device.

Geocachmaster - 19-1-2017 at 13:35

My much anticipated short path condenser came today, only to arrive broken:(! I'll be asking for them to send a replacement, even though it was only US$18:P

Looks okay though considering the low price and Chinese seller.

IMG_0421.JPG - 1.4MB

Still usable but there are some cracks around the spot the drip tip broke off which are concerning.

JJay - 19-1-2017 at 14:01

Ouch. I have one of those arriving any day now. I paid $17 U.S. I wonder if mine will have the tiny fractionating column.

DJF90 - 21-1-2017 at 11:06

I'm jealous ;)

I had a five neck flask, and its nice, but when you don't NEED five necks you end up with more stoppers to wash. The problem with trying to standardise glassware is that you always end up requiring a selection of sizes (notice how the flask below has a B24 centre neck, two B19 necks and two B14 necks). Standardised assemblies are best made in B10 or B14 where all parts can be had in a single size.

5-neck flask.jpg - 1.3MB

PirateDocBrown - 21-1-2017 at 12:32

New labware came today!

Second image is all my 24/40.

1x1000ml RBF
2x500ml RBF
4x250ml RBF
1x150ml RBF
1x100ml RBF

2x250ml Erlenmeyer
1x125ml Erlinmeyer

Straight drying tube
180 drying tube
Straight vac adapter
Bent vac adapter
Rubber thermometer adapter
Teflon thermo adapter
2 distilling adapters
2 connecting adapters
reaction tube
125ml addition funnel
500ml sep funnel
coldfinger condenser
2x 200mm leibig condensers, one with tines for packing
200mm vigeroux column
4x hollow stoppers

I could use some more flasks, with multiple necks!

FB_IMG_1485029675687[1].jpg - 1.6MB FB_IMG_1485030288597[1].jpg - 1.8MB

[Edited on 1/21/17 by PirateDocBrown]

Corrosive Joeseph - 21-1-2017 at 21:42

Barn find...............!!

Found this sitting in some old hippy's shed up in the mountains.

DSCN0021.JPG - 2.5MB

Came with no flasks and no power leads but l finally got it together.
Just serviced it and got it going for the first time tonight. PWO.
Just need some vacuum now.

All in, €225............... I'm a very happy man this evening............. :cool:

/CJ

JJay - 24-1-2017 at 16:55

It has some tiny bubbles at the joints, but for 17 USD including shipping, I'm not complaining.

IMG_20170124_154740.jpg - 444kB

j_sum1 - 24-1-2017 at 18:39

Jjay -- yours has a little vigreux too. I wonder if mine will as well. I guess I will know in a couple of days.

JJay - 24-1-2017 at 19:58

Yep. It's hard to know for sure at this point, but it looks likely that yours will have one too.

I don't think I'll use mine for tonight's steam distillation, but I can think of a lot of uses for it.

j_sum1 - 24-1-2017 at 21:27

Well that didn't take long. Mine has a vigreux as well. It seems that there are a few of these on the market at the moment. Mine also came with a broken drip stem. :(
On the plus side, I have found Chinese suppliers to be good about resending stuff in the case of breakages. And then I will have two, but one unsuitable for anything that requires a vacuum or is too volatile.

JJay - 24-1-2017 at 22:53

That is unfortunate about the drip stem. Mine was extremely well packed and didn't appear to have been molested by customs. I'm sure you'll get a refund or a replacement.

I've never seen an item with bubbles at the joints break under a vacuum except at high temperature, so I think mine will be OK in a vacuum as long as I keep things under 200 C. I'm not sure it's a good choice for distilling sulfuric acid, though.

[Edited on 25-1-2017 by JJay]

JJay - 27-1-2017 at 14:46

IMG_20170127_134336.jpg - 375kB

CharlieA - 27-1-2017 at 17:28

JJay: Those are nice looking gas washing bottles. What size are they, and where did you get them?

JJay - 27-1-2017 at 17:35

500 mL, Deschem.

The quality does not appear to be extremely high in person, but I am sure they are quite functional. There's just enough room to fit small stirbars underneath the perforated gas outlets.

j_sum1 - 2-2-2017 at 03:58

I am now the proud owner of a 500mL soxhlet and condenser. :)

Bit of a scary moment though. Package was not very secure. Just a cardboard box with a thin foam wrap. I opened carefully and heard the telltale clink and rattle of broken glass. Turns out everything was intact but there were fragments of glass tubing inside the soxhlet.

It is not very high quality. But I got it for under 20USD so I am not complaining. I bet it makes great coffee.

CharlieA - 2-2-2017 at 18:44

What a great buy! May I ask where you purchased it?

j_sum1 - 2-2-2017 at 21:07

It was this one
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/262767471069
But I paid a different price. From memory it was about $27AUD.

There are numerous sellers selling the same one so shop around a bit.

JJay - 2-2-2017 at 23:01

I've been thinking about getting one of those. I think elec-mall is the cheapest one willing to ship to me, but lovelyhome2015 has a better reputation. SacredLotus.com has a huge list of herbs used in traditional Chinese medicine. I bet it's possible to do some interesting chemistry with some of them.

j_sum1 - 3-2-2017 at 01:31

If you catch Nurdrage's latest offering he doubles the yield of a Fischer esterification by swapping the reflux condenser for a soxhlet filled with 3A molecular sieves. That removes the water that is produced and pushes the equilibrium to the right. So it is not just extractions that they are useful for.

I figured that at that price it was a good addition to my glassware collection. It might not be used that often but handy to have around.

Texium - 3-2-2017 at 06:55

Haha, why was this picture necessary:

Screen Shot 2017-02-03 at 8.53.51 AM.png - 929kB

"Here's what it looks like if you decide to assemble it upside down for some reason!"

aga - 3-2-2017 at 07:47

Lol.

Go on ! Do the third option !

JJay - 3-2-2017 at 16:27

This is not technically glassware... but I got some tubing and a stirrer today. It is only a one-speed stirrer (although I suspect I can use a controller to change that), but it was dirt cheap, and unlike my other stirrer, it is in good working order.

IMG_20170203_152258.jpg - 383kB

[Edited on 4-2-2017 by JJay]

JJay - 3-2-2017 at 16:29

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
If you catch Nurdrage's latest offering he doubles the yield of a Fischer esterification by swapping the reflux condenser for a soxhlet filled with 3A molecular sieves. That removes the water that is produced and pushes the equilibrium to the right. So it is not just extractions that they are useful for.

I figured that at that price it was a good addition to my glassware collection. It might not be used that often but handy to have around.

That is a super cool idea. I think they are used a lot in natural products research but have limited application elsewhere... still, I definitely want one.

Fidelmios - 4-2-2017 at 00:33

I recently got a new 1L beaker, 500mL beaker, and a basic distillation kit. I'm a happy camper!

Chlorine - 4-2-2017 at 19:20

1. Just bought another electric camping hot plate (much cheaper then buying a chem designed one).

2. Beaker set 1000ml, 500ml 2: 250ml & 4: 100ml

3. Small morter and pestle

JJay - 6-2-2017 at 15:14

New mercury thermometer.

I am waiting on some thermometer wells so I can hopefully start using a thermocouple instead.

Sulaiman - 7-2-2017 at 00:05

Quote: Originally posted by JJay  
This is not technically glassware... but I got some tubing and a stirrer today. It is only a one-speed stirrer (although I suspect I can use a controller to change that), but it was dirt cheap, and unlike my other stirrer, it is in good working order.

the tubing looks like the cheap latex tubing that comes with eBay Chinese kits
if it is, it's awful stuff;
too little water pressure and it collapses/kinks
a little more pressure and the tubing balloons !

JJay - 7-2-2017 at 00:11

It's very similar to that tubing but doesn't seem to collapse or kink as easily. I usually like to use PVC, but I needed something that would accommodate multiple hose barb sizes. While this tubing was expensive, I didn't see anything else that would work in my apparatus.

JJay - 7-2-2017 at 14:15

New thermometer and thermometer well.

IMG_20170207_131326.jpg - 341kB

NeonPulse - 7-2-2017 at 21:35

Got a couple more things to add to the Collection- a 300mm air condenser, A 300mm fractioning column and a 300ml porcelain crucible. Also had 300g of 3A molecular sieves arrive yesterday. Seems like 300 is the going trend lately.

IMG_1531.JPG - 1.8MB

JJay - 8-2-2017 at 03:29

I'd like to have a 300mL porcelain crucible. My crucible is so tiny....

anewsoul - 8-2-2017 at 07:36

Where did you get the mercury thermometer?

Db33 - 8-2-2017 at 07:51

i hav a question JJay, i have the exact same thermometer well, can i make it work with a thermocouple device?

JJay - 8-2-2017 at 09:18

The mercury thermometer? That came from the USA. It was expensive, and they are hard to ship. Several vendors in China sell similar ones for a fraction of the cost. I have not personally tried buying one of these.

There are several videos on YouTube of people using similar thermometer wells with thermocouples, so I am pretty sure it's possible to get that thermometer well to work with a thermocouple, but I haven't tried it yet. It has a 182 mm overall length with the thermometer well being perhaps 100 mm. I will say that it is too long for a distillation adapter but is the perfect size for a 500 mL flask. I think it would work well with a 1000 mL flask and possibly even a 2000 mL flask too, but it is a too small for a 3000 mL flask unless it is more than half full.

PirateDocBrown - 8-2-2017 at 13:55

Just arrived!

1 L flatbottom 2 neck
350 mL #3 frit
thermometer well

all 24 40

Likely my last new ST buy for a while, though I'm always looking for cheap used.

20170208_155003[1].jpg - 1.5MB

JJay - 10-2-2017 at 18:04

I have a new (to me) 14/10 kit. It could use a few more adapters and flasks, and it could definitely stand a good cleaning, but it looks like the basics are here. I probably shouldn't have this thing so close to my toothbrush....

IMG_20170210_165915.jpg - 544kB

I also got this. The quality appears to be excellent.

14867792590611479285805.jpg - 352kB

[Edited on 11-2-2017 by JJay]

j_sum1 - 11-2-2017 at 00:17

Oddly enough the thing that stands out in your mini kit is the nice spatula. I guess I am not particularly attracted to 14/10 scale.
But that is a nice looking reflux condenser. Something that can cope with a decent heat transfer rate is good to have.
For example...

JJay - 11-2-2017 at 02:53

It's a Reacware condenser.

The spatula is all right. I have a slightly larger one that is round on one end and flat on the other. It's had limited exposure to some extremely corrosive and oxidizing environments and has never shown the slightest trace of rust, though it does have a visible passivating layer that makes it a little less shiny than its original milled finish, similar to the spatula above. I think they are 316 steel.

JJay - 11-2-2017 at 03:09

I also have a fairly decent small-scale setup.

IMG_20170211_020620.jpg - 417kB

JJay - 17-2-2017 at 19:59

I got a large lab jack, which will hopefully be a nice complement to my small lab jack, which is a nice piece of equipment. The large lab jack seems pretty sturdy, but oddly, when it arrived, one of the corners was bent. Considering the plate steel from which it is constructed, I can only surmise that a customs agent must have decided to run it over with a forklift or to stick the corner into a steel door and malign the jack with a hammer, to check it for explosives no doubt.

So I unbent the corner. You do get what you pay for with these bargain-basement, fly-by-night sellers in some far-off place....

Db33 - 17-2-2017 at 20:05

ive been considering a large lab jack for use with my heating mantle/stirrer

JJay - 17-2-2017 at 20:20

I don't think lab jacks are absolutely essential for any experiments, but I got tired of looking around for suitable blocks to support my hotplate or heating mantle, and I don't enjoy handling a hot heating device in order to remove it from a flask.

JJay - 22-2-2017 at 08:35

Soxhlet, Dean Stark trap, thermometers, two multimeters with temperature sensors, 200 mm sealed immersion tube.

JJay - 23-2-2017 at 22:20

I ordered a Dean Stark trap-like device and a 2L bulb, not to mention a 40/50 to 24/40 adapter so I can connect normal glassware to the top of the bulb and use my new Soxhlet with a conventional lab condenser

I think I'll be able to use these to do steam distillations of heavy oils with relatively small amounts of water and thus avoid wasting a lot of product in hydrosols. It will be easy to load large amounts of bark/leaves/granules etc. into the bulb, and I suspect it will also make a good bump trap. Plus the apparatus will make a great conversation piece.

s-l1600 (2).jpg - 57kB s-l1600 (3).jpg - 547kB

[Edited on 24-2-2017 by JJay]

CharlieA - 24-2-2017 at 18:22

If you haven't received your Dean-Stark trap yet, I hope it arrives in 1 piece. Mine arrived in two and so far I haven't found a glassblower to repair it. I did get a refund. The traps with a glass rod spanning the bottom legs to give support seem a good idea, but the ones I've found so fa, are more expensive that the one you show.r

JJay - 24-2-2017 at 18:39

I haven't; I have the receiver pictured above getting shipped to me from Hong Kong, and I have a more traditional Dean-Stark trap with a PTFE stopcock, graduated markings and a smaller reservoir on the way, from a reputable supplier.

Dean-Stark traps aren't really designed to bear heavy loads, so I'm not really sure what to think about the glass rod, but I'm sure it can't hurt. My concern with those is that the ones I looked at that had the glass rod support appeared as though they would only function correctly in a perfectly vertical position, and I might want to use one at a bit of an angle.

[Edited on 25-2-2017 by JJay]

CharlieA - 25-2-2017 at 15:05

I don't know if the rod affects using the apparatus tilted or not. I think that its main purpose is to provide some protection against twisting motions. The one I received was packed well as far as protecting the glassware as long as it wasn't twisted, but unfortunately it m must have been twisted and broke at the elbow. I hope yours is received in 1 piece! not in a handful as mine was.:D

JJay - 27-2-2017 at 15:51

I hope so too. I've had some bad luck shipping in the past, but recently everything has arrived in one piece. eBay sellers are generally good about reshipping broken items. Hopefully you can find another one, if you still want one.

Today I picked up my new Soxhlet extractor. I am going to have to find something to extract.

IMG_20170227_144003.jpg - 446kB

The quality isn't especially great but is actually pretty good compared to the usual Cheap Hong Kongese Glassware of the Month Club items... I didn't buy it from Deschem, but I'd say it's about on par with Deschem's usual level of quality, but the shipping materials were just a cardboard box with some gift wrap paper, and it was opened by Chinese customs. Also, it shipped from Shanghai and was slightly more expensive than the cheapest one available. I'm sure it will work just fine. It will work even better once I get an NS 24 adapter for the top.

[Edited on 28-2-2017 by JJay]

JJay - 1-3-2017 at 21:55

I bought a 500 ml Boston Round bottle at a local health food store. It has a polystyrene cap, but it should work just fine for storing benzyl alcohol.

j_sum1 - 4-3-2017 at 04:05

Ok: not a purchase yet but seriously considering it. I have just made enquiries as to whether I can open an account as a private individual.
Six inch vacuum desiccator.
1354-A.png.jpg - 28kB

It just seemed to me to be something really sensible to have for drying out anything deliquescent. And having a glass vessel that size that I can pull a vacuum on might be useful for other things too.

Oh. And I just blew a hundred bucks on assorted bits of glass at deschem. I'll post pix when they arrive.

Sulaiman - 4-3-2017 at 04:48

They are nice, but I think that you should go slow on this one,

. IF the top joint is a Standard Taper (e.g. 24/40) then there is some flexibility
if not then it is just a drier

. I'm sure that sum1 could make a better, cheaper d.i.y. multi-purpose vacuum chamber.

. are you sure that one is large enough ?
(sounds of evil cackling fading away ...) :P

JJay - 4-3-2017 at 05:07

I've thought about getting a vacuum desiccator. I can think of a few situations where I would want one. Most of the ones I've looked at have been the more industrial variety made of aluminum, but glass is likely more sensible for working with something like chromic anhydride.

It's almost certainly more sensible to buy one of those than to desiccate chemicals in your kitchen pressure cooker :)

j_sum1 - 4-3-2017 at 05:41

Good point Sulaiman. I will find out if the joint is compatible with anything else. I don't see why it wouldn't be but it is worth asking.
And glass holds a certain appeal. The ability to see inside is a pretty good feature. Of course I would like one bigger but have you seen the price that these things usually go for?

[Edited on 4-3-2017 by j_sum1]

JJay - 4-3-2017 at 13:00

My steam distillation receiver arrived broken. :(

JJay - 6-3-2017 at 20:56

My Dean-Stark trap arrived. The quality is good, and it was very well packed.

IMG_20170306_195134.jpg - 457kB

[Edited on 7-3-2017 by JJay]

CharlieA - 7-3-2017 at 04:30

The one I received broken was just like that one, but had a glass stopcock. May I ask where it was purchased? Thanks.

j_sum1 - 7-3-2017 at 04:38

My short path condenser arrived today. It was replacement for the one that broke in transit -- just the drip stem broke but it is still functional for some purposes. So now I have two.

This one arrived really well packaged. And it was much higher quality than the previous one: quite a different design and different from the photo. It has a very long drip stem that will reach right to the bottom of a flask. It is a lovely piece of glass.
2017-03-08 08.14.04.jpg - 1MB
Given that I have had a couple of dodgy ebay deals lately, it is quite nice to come out on top: two short paths for twenty bucks. I can abuse the hell out of the broken one and reserve the good one for more serious work.

[edit] added photo

[Edited on 8-3-2017 by j_sum1]

JJay - 7-3-2017 at 06:23

It's a Reacware Dean-Stark trap. They sell on eBay under the name "laboratoryglassware" and claim to be a manufacturer. I've never had any problems with them. I'm not 100% sure I can use this with my angled 3-neck flasks without an adapter.... I still want to get a steam distillation receiver because the trap is only 10 mL.

My short path condenser is similar to your long one but has tiny bubbles in the glass. I haven't used it for anything yet....

[Edited on 8-3-2017 by JJay]

JJay - 7-3-2017 at 19:05

Still waiting on a few items... but I received my 1L Squibb non-equalizing addition funnel and a 2L distillation bulb.

IMG_20170307_180111.jpg - 374kB

JJay - 9-3-2017 at 22:35

I got a simple 24/29 straight-through adapter for 50/40 female joints. Now I can use my distillation bulb and Soxhlet extractor with 24/40 glassware.

I haven't decided what to buy next... I have been thinking about commissioning Nanshin to make a couple of custom pieces, and it would be nice to have a vacuum desiccator.

IMG_20170309_212444.jpg - 411kB

[Edited on 10-3-2017 by JJay]

Geocachmaster - 11-3-2017 at 11:43

I just got six 10ml serological pipettes, they were gifts actually. :)

image.jpg - 1.4MB

JJay - 13-3-2017 at 07:49

I bought a vacuum desiccator. Now I can make some extremely serious beef jerky :D

Db33 - 18-3-2017 at 17:08

probably the most overlooked and maybe unnecessary items in a lab but im glad i finally got one... a stir-bar retriever.

Pages:  1    3  ..  5