Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Iron oxide + conc. acetic acid in one go

Fantasma4500 - 15-1-2017 at 04:58

the interwebs suggested using vinegar to clean rusty metal and found a big chunk of iron that was badly rusted so decided to clean it up using vinegar, soaking the whole thing in vinegar and scrubbing the surface clean every now and then, using 5% household vinegar

some iron acetate formed would make sense as iron hydroxides and carbonates would be likely to react, iron oxide itself being trickier to get to react, at least Fe2O3 - however after weeks of reacting the iron with vinegar the metal piece came out with a nice dark finish to it, but somewhat clean surface, the leftovers i let dry out at room temperature and decided to turn all the way into Fe2O3, supposing there would be a lot of mixed iron hydroxides and carbonates left

as the whole thing heated up, it became quite obvious that the dry stuff was producing some very concentrated fumes of acetic acid, quite surprised. but the iron oxide seems somewhat pure, nicely red, and indeed considering overall reaction time this process is a lot easier than turning electrolysis formed magnetite into red iron oxide by heating and air oxidation this has some serious potential for whom wishes not to buy, but to produce

so far no clue what concentration of acetic acid, but probably well above 60%

it could seem however that magnetite is the first iron oxide produced, but as its nanoparticles, or lets at least call it quite fine particles it would very quickly react with air

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/258583710_Size-Cont...

iron (II) acetate appears to be soluble in water, and forming tetrahydrate, the hydrate could likely make sure that +95% acetic acid would be difficult to get from simply decomposing the iron acetate, i would imagine a lot of acetic acid going lost if one were to react metallic iron with acetic acid as it requires temperature and probably concentrated acetic acid, which conflicts the whole process a bit, however using iron hydroxides and carbonates could make for a way to somewhat easily produce concentrated acetic acid

Tsjerk - 15-1-2017 at 06:31

I guess wet iron acetate decomposes via basic iron acetate to acetic acid and iron oxide

Try to condense and titrate it!

[Edited on 15-1-2017 by Tsjerk]

Fantasma4500 - 15-1-2017 at 08:23

currently trying to extract remaining acetate with water, not sure if i have enough to get any actual acetic acid out of though

AJKOER - 17-1-2017 at 06:30

Try a heated mix of dilute H2O2 add to vinegar with a dose of sea salt.

I suspect you be surprised!

Fantasma4500 - 21-1-2017 at 03:01

supposing thats for cleaning iron?

after very carefully boiling off water at around 70*C for some days i got almost 5 grammes of sticky solid that has a melting point of around 105*C, attempting to collect vapours from this solid, at 105*C it also emitted some acetic acid fumes

Waffles SS - 21-1-2017 at 04:02

Iron oxide(III) (hematite) will not react with Nitric acid or Sulfuric acid or even HCl.

How AcOH can dissolve it?

I was unsuccessful in making iron nitrate from iron oxide:
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=17161

also there is iron acetate topic too:
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=6214

[Edited on 21-1-2017 by Waffles SS]

Melgar - 21-1-2017 at 09:58

Well, iron III oxide is already oxidized as much as it can be, so an oxidizing acid wouldn't be especially good at dissolving it. Acetic acid can act as both the acid and the solvent, and acetate salts are known to be especially soluble.

ave369 - 22-1-2017 at 14:53

What's the point in having 60% acetic acid, if the same could be bought in a supermarket as a vinegar concentrate? It's the glacial acid that's the rare and desirable reagent.

Fantasma4500 - 28-1-2017 at 02:33

i can buy at most 30% at supermarkets in my country, i dont get how people still imagine the entire world being exactly as it is in their hometown, the world is kinda big??
i can buy litres of concentrated ammonia, while in some other countries its very difficult to come around
in the US caustic soda is watched, but its stashed in almost all stores in my country, where concentrated sulfuric acid is, as interesting as the duality in this is - is watched.
the point is not the product, but the potential

i still think what makes acetic acid so effective at cleaning up rust being that its a mixture of iron oxides hydroxides and carbonates, the hydroxides and carbonates react well with the acetic acid