Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Started a new series on youtube, and I would love your thoughts!

Fidelmios - 3-2-2017 at 19:40

Hey all,

So my series that I decided to make it transforming an old room into a lab to do various experiments and film in. The thing that I want from you all is feedback, and advice. I'm a novice in these areas (filmmaking, homechemistry, lab construction) and I have a strong feeling that a forum filled with such amazing chemists could help me out.

https://youtu.be/sqJKrV8dNs8 here is my first episode where I just talk about the plans. Also, I want to name this lab, so I am currently running a contest to find the best name for it, chosen by people who view the video.

j_sum1 - 3-2-2017 at 20:05

Seriously. You should name it yourself to reflect your personality, your aspirations and what you intend the lab to become and to accomplish.

Sulaiman - 3-2-2017 at 23:43

funds permitting, internal plasterboard cladding, and ideally a thermally insulating wool/foam in the cavity formed,
would give a 'clean' background for videography,
and help keep you, your experiments, and your stored chemicals,
in a nicer temperature range.
This would also give a degree of fire resistance, sound insulation
and protect the iron from HCl fumes etc.
At least a nice coat of paint :P

I would consider keeping the windows as windows/emergency ventilation/exit ... you never know :P
A separate hole for venting the fume cupboard gives more choices in location
... maybe not blocking access to the tank ?

IF you could make the door open outwards from the lab it would
.. make emergency exit easier
.. reduce the likelihood of accidents
.. give a little more usable space

Consider blinds, shutters etc. for the windows, for security/privacy/lighting control.

Good videos require good lighting, and a clean background.

P.S. I do not have a fume cupboard, but I have given some thoughts to making one,
I think that hobby fume cupboards should;
. have a sink with running water
. be tall enough to handle a fractionating column setup
. have a separate but ventilated compartment for chemical storage
. similarly for bulk volatile reagents
. similarly for acids and bases (especially HCl, HNO3, NH3 etc.)
. a separate ventilated space for a vacuum pump with traps if a water aspirator is not used
. infinite workspace to allow for a distillation rig, multiple experiments, filtration, etc.
. A wide fume cupboard would allow one location for all videography

There are several fume cupboard construction topics here at SM,
have a look around 'tour my lab' photographs again for little hints and ideas

There are YouTube videos that are very professional
and there are videos like mine - raw, blurry, shaky video uploads just to share with friends, SM members etc.
both have their uses.

[Edited on 4-2-2017 by Sulaiman]

Fidelmios - 4-2-2017 at 00:00

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
Seriously. You should name it yourself to reflect your personality, your aspirations and what you intend the lab to become and to accomplish.

I completely understand where you're coming from, but for me I wouldn't be doing home chemistry if it wasn't for my youtube channel. My viewer base has helped me out substantially, and I feel like allowing them, and you all, to name the lab is something of a place of endearment. So its for that reason that I want to give you all the thing to name it, you've been so great helping me!

Fidelmios - 4-2-2017 at 00:05

Quote: Originally posted by Sulaiman  
funds permitting, internal plasterboard cladding, and ideally a thermally insulating wool/foam in the cavity formed,
would give a 'clean' backgroung for videography,
and help keep you, your experiments, and your stored chemicals,
in a nicer temperature range.
This would also give a degree of fire resistance, sound insulation
and protect the iron from HCl fumes etc.
At least a nice coat of paint :P

I would consider keeping the windows as windows/emergency ventilation/exit ... you never know :P
A separate hole for venting the fume cupboard gives more choices in location
... maybe not blocking access to the tank ?

IF you could make the door open outwards from the lab it would
.. make emergency exit easier
.. reduce the likelihood of accidents
.. give a little more usable space

Consider blinds, shutters etc. for the windows, for security/privacy/lighting control.

Good videos require good lighting, and a clean background.

Cleaning up the background is a must. I was thinking about getting some plasterboard for the 'filming' wall at the very least. Thanks! I will look to switching around the outside door too! I may actually be able to make a fume hood off to the corner rather than the window, but I thought the window the easiest location.

Sulaiman - 4-2-2017 at 00:35

As you have acces to fresh external air,
one possibility that would make your channel 'different'
would be to have the entire lab as a fume cupboard when required,
with you having fresh air pumped to your facemask, hazmat/diving suit (?) etc. :o

it may be cheaper and safer than a fume cupboard ?
but not as comfortable :P

P.S. using a surplus NASA spacesuit (or equivalent) would allow you to make a series of videos covering
'what could possibly go wrong ?!' ... in a hobby Lab,
beatiful explosions of halogen gasses, nitrous oxides, and exergetic compositions ......
(OK , there is a bit of a 'mad scientist' in me)

Fidelmios - 4-2-2017 at 00:48

Quote: Originally posted by Sulaiman  
As you have acces to fresh external air,
one possibility that would make your channel 'different'
would be to have the entire lab as a fume cupboard when required,
with you having fresh air pumped to your facemask, hazmat/diving suit (?) etc. :o

it may be cheaper and safer than a fume cupboard ?
but not as comfortable :P

Holy crap, that sounds cool! I'm also thinking of buying a few dozen meters of LED lights and making the entire place glow! I think that since I'm putting up plasterboard I could put a flat area to hang tools, hoses, clamps, or other flat stuff.

Sulaiman - 4-2-2017 at 00:56

Please research it first ... I have not thought through all of the safety implications :o

EDIT: The Sun is shining ! ... off to do a bit of chem-mystery.