Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Strange KMnO4 reaction ?

papaya - 1-4-2017 at 06:35

Hello folks, just a quick question that puzzles me.
Recently I was doing a sodium zincate(Na2Zn[OH]4) synthesis from ZnO and NaOH pellets (both are of unknown purity, brought from some lab) and all went well leaving completely clear water solution on heating. I added NaOH gradually to ZnO/water suspension on heating and stirring after everything dissolves to prevent too much hydroxide usage. After I got a clear solution I added a single crystal of KMnO4 to this about 30ml of solution, it sunk and started to dissolve leaving pink colored tails if you are familiar. Don't ask me why I needed some manganese there - I'm trying to make ZnS/Mn phosphore, that's an other story.
Now what went WRONG is this: instead of getting pink solution I got a bluish-grey one - perhaps something is reducing permanganate to manganate ? But isn't manganate green ? It was reacting quickly because pink tails which permanganate leaves were fading quickly on stirring. In the end I got 30ml of solution almost blue and this just from a single of KMnO4 !
As far as I know zinc normally doesn't have oxidation states higher than +2, which is already the zincate! Now, what is the reducing agent then ? Also what blue color manganese compound/oxidation state is possible ?
Thanks, you can try to replicate, interesting to know.

Ozone - 1-4-2017 at 07:20

Mn(V) is blue.

O3

papaya - 1-4-2017 at 11:56

Hm, interesting, but how ?

ave369 - 4-4-2017 at 09:26

Sodium zincate, as a salt of a strong base and a very weak acid, is strongly basic. Strongly basic conditions stabilize the manganate and hypomanganate ions (VI and V respectively), and permanganate gets reduced to manganate and hypomanganate. Usually you get manganate, but sometimes, in very basic solutions, hypomanganate is achievable as well.

OH- is usually the reducing agent, it is oxidized to O<sub>2</sub>. But if ZnO is of unknown purity as you say, any goddamn thing can be in there and act as a reducer.

papaya - 4-4-2017 at 14:08

Thanks for the response, I hoped that "goddamn" thing you mentioned might be quite known among this audience :D
What I mean is the most "popular" friend of zinc - cadmium ? arsenic ?? What if water gets oxidized to oxygen, while zincate is a catalyst ? If someone could replicate...

ave369 - 5-4-2017 at 22:24

Is this ZnO some form of consumer product? If so, it couldn't be arsenic or cadmium, this kind of toxic crap is almost never released to the public.

woelen - 6-4-2017 at 00:27

At very high pH, permanganate does not need any reductor to be converted to manganate. Just as a test, take some NaOH and dissolve in water, make a fairly concentrated solution. Add a single crystal of KMnO4. Your solution will turn green/blue. This green/blue color is the color of manganate(VI). I doubt you get manganate(V). That stuff is purely blue, having no green hue. It is very unstable and quickly decomposes to manganase(IV). Have a look at this web page:

http://woelen.homescience.net/science/chem/solutions/mn.html