Sciencemadness Discussion Board

(DIY) bushing/reducing adapter, 40/38 to 24/29

tandpasta - 1-4-2017 at 14:55

I bought a Soxhlet-extractor and overlooked that the top joint is way too large for my condenser. What a fool I am.

I tried using the Soxhlet-extractor with a flask filled with ice-water as a condenser, but that works poorly. The pressure builds up and solvent vapors escape into my living room.

I ordered the only reducing adapter that I could find online, but it's going to take a while to arrive from China.

What could I use in the meantime? I've looked at rubber and cork stoppers, but it seems that their chemical resistance is lacking, considering the solvents I use most often (hexane and dichloromethane).

Steam - 1-4-2017 at 22:13

couple options (it is very late where I am), I would recommend running it under gentle conditions so your makeshift condenser can keep up. It is all about heat transfer with condensers- creating more surface area and having a greater temperature differential will aid in this.
You could do a flask with dry ice and everyone's favorite propyl ketone.
Also you could try to attach a small heat sink with some thermal paste below the flask (for more surface area).
As far as chemical resistance goes cork isn't a complete disaster... at least it wont melt with solvent vapors.

PirateDocBrown - 2-4-2017 at 07:56

Use a rubber stopper. Wrap it up completely with Teflon tape. Won't last forever, but should hold you till you get the right glass.