Sciencemadness Discussion Board

how do I resize pictures so that I can post them here?

LD5050 - 10-4-2017 at 07:41

I took some pictures of some of my experiments with my Iphone and I then emailed them to myself. I wanted to post them on here but when I tried it said that the image was to big I believe. My question is how do I resize the image correctly so I can post them here?

gdflp - 10-4-2017 at 07:49

Personally, I like to use dedicated software such as GIMP to resize pictures, as it gives you a lot of flexibility in respect to options such as output quality, size, etc. You can even use MS Paint, though at the expense of some quality, there is a resize option on the toolbar.(I'm assuming that you're on Windows)

Sulaiman - 10-4-2017 at 10:13

when you open the page to post;

(click on this picture)
4SM.jpg - 83kB

you see the upload limit, 8 MB, 4000 x 4000

if you save your picture as a jpeg
when you upload it, only a thumbnail appears.

click on the "Preview Post" box to see what is happening while you are editing / to continue editing.

Texium - 10-4-2017 at 10:25

By default, the camera on the newer iPhone models takes pictures that are just larger than the limit (3024 x 4032), but if you set the camera to "square" the pictures will instead be 3024 x 3024, which is fine to upload as-is assuming you don't mind having square pictures. As shown here, with a picture of an unsuccessful experiment:

IMG_3233.JPG - 1.3MB

The forum likes to turn them sideways though.

diddi - 10-4-2017 at 13:39

I found a really simple program called ImageResizer. it adds a menu item when you right click on a picture. it remembers your new size choice and so you can resize in 1 right click producing a new file of desired size.