Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Preserving Chemistry Channels

Volitox Ignis - 6-5-2017 at 17:57

I was watching some chemistry channels on Youtube, Nile Red and Nurdrage in particular, and some of them have stated that some of their videos have either been taken down by Youtube, had to have been made private to avoid being taken down, or been made unlisted for the same reason. At some of Nile Red's videos have met one of those fates, and Nurdrage has said that some of his videos have too. One of Nurdrage's videos that have been taken down is the "Make potassium metal (Catalyzed Magnesium Reduction)" one. I looked for them on the Internet Archive, but looking through all the Youtube crawls takes time.

So I got an idea, couldn't the Sciencemadness website have a new section for chemistry videos to which interesting videos could be uploaded, like it has with books?

j_sum1 - 6-5-2017 at 18:32

I thought that Nurdrage removed the potassium video of his own volition anticipating that it might be problematic. I have seen it reposted by another youtuber.

I have downloaded a few videos that I think are too important to lose and that I think might attract the axe. A bit of insurance if you will. For example, I have a nice little series on production of white phosphorus.

As for your suggestion, it will depend to some extent on the available server space and also on the increased demands to keep the site backed up. That will not be trivial.

I think the idea is a good one and the way forward would be to open a private discussion with Polverone to see what the constraints are. It might be that the better option is to organise hosting on a different server with a link back here -- similar to the SynthSource attempt.

Volitox Ignis - 6-5-2017 at 18:58

Whether or not the videos got taken down by the creators themselves, these are still videos that are interesting but are in danger of getting taken down.

Some videos might not seem to be in too much danger but can still get taken down, or might be posted a while ago, and we don't notice when it does get taken down for whatever reason. This is why I think it is best to preserve the entire channel's videos in bulk,rather than some.

Yeah, talking to the person that runs the site is good, I think it would be good if the discussion was public though. But that's just my opinion.

[Edited on 7-5-2017 by Volitox Ignis]

symboom - 6-5-2017 at 19:15

If there was a back up for those videos ot would not need that much space due to not many YouTubers that does chemistry on youtube or make chemical synthesis videos
Although nurdrage has a vid.me account where he put some videos

[Edited on 7-5-2017 by symboom]

Volitox Ignis - 6-5-2017 at 19:50

Quote: Originally posted by symboom  
If there was a back up for those videos it would not need that much space due to not many YouTubers that does chemistry on youtube or make chemical synthesis videos
Although nurdrage has a vid.me account where he put some videos

[Edited on 7-5-2017 by symboom]

The entirety of Nile Red's channel, plus 4 videos that were taken down/made private/unlisted that I could scavenge, takes up 11.8 Gigabytes. That is 192 videos. Nurdrage's channel has a bit over 210, and ChemPlayer has a little over 170. I would say that the three major channels would take up around 40 Gigabytes.
Wonder how much space the entire forum takes up, for comparison.

j_sum1 - 6-5-2017 at 20:07

You forget Doug's Lab. IMO, these are the top four. But there is some great material in other channels too. Judging by the contributions to the threads on chemistry vids there is a considerable quantity out there. And, all going well, there will be an increasing amount to archive. I suspect 40 gig will be way too small to do a good job.

One possibility would be to go straight to the source -- ask the creators if they would be happy to archive their material here. Once a space and system has been set up it might be simpler for them to drag and drop the videos themselves rather than ripping YT.

Volitox Ignis - 6-5-2017 at 21:15

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
You forget Doug's Lab. IMO, these are the top four. But there is some great material in other channels too. Judging by the contributions to the threads on chemistry vids there is a considerable quantity out there. And, all going well, there will be an increasing amount to archive. I suspect 40 gig will be way too small to do a good job.

One possibility would be to go straight to the source -- ask the creators if they would be happy to archive their material here. Once a space and system has been set up it might be simpler for them to drag and drop the videos themselves rather than ripping YT.

Haven't watched that channel up until now. It's does have great videos, but it is also much smaller and thus takes up less space.I won't deny that other channels also have good videos, but I think they also have way less videos and would thus take up less space. 40GB would be just enough for the three channels I have listed (Although, maybe not, it was just a rough estimate) as of right now, but it could be a start.

A system where the creators themselves upload videos would still need space,and not all of the videos at risk may get uploaded.
Edit: Just now realized how much all the smaller channels that I looked up on the forum can add up to. Yeah, you are probably right about 40GB being too little, I have to agree.

Cryolite. - 6-5-2017 at 23:10

I have those four youtubers plus some others backed up already. God bless youtube-dl!

On a side note, the virtual image Polverone updates for this forum is about 11 GB iirc.

If anyone can combine a list of good chemistry channels to back up, that would be helpful.

j_sum1 - 6-5-2017 at 23:24

Quote: Originally posted by Cryolite.  

If anyone can combine a list of good chemistry channels to back up, that would be helpful.

Already being done -- well, discussed anyway. No one is being systematic here: no one has taken on that job. But the information is there for the taking.

https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=73...
Particularly this post:
https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=73...

I have also encouraged people to scavenge off my YT channel list. It started as a compilation of good experimental chemistry channels and has mostly stayed that. https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=73...

Volitox Ignis - 6-5-2017 at 23:40

I have downloaded all the videos, plus four others, from Nile Red's channel using Youtube Multi Downloader and Internet Download Manager, and have them nicely organized in a folder and numbered. I'll look over the threads and start bulk-downloading channels tomorrow (or today for you,depending on your timezone).

chemplayer... - 10-5-2017 at 09:39

We wouldn't have a problem posting historical videos to an 'official' SM back-up location (not sure about other channels as they may be angling for view based monetisation).

How much does 100Gb of lower-level tier storage on AWS cost these days, plus likely network traffic fees? It's not going to be much...

Vosoryx - 24-9-2017 at 18:47

Im not sure how many people knew of the austrailian youtube chemist known as "explosions and fire", as he only had ~8000 subscribers, but his chanbel was taken down a few weeks ago and he just lost all appeals.
We've heard nurdrage, as well as others, complaining about the stifiling of theirchannel, but yt actually took down a channel that did, in my opinion, make chemistry very informative and funny. I thought that yt would take down videos, but never a whole channel, with over 8k people subscribed.
In my opinion, moving to another site would be a hassle... coordinating dozens of channels to one site, while keeping their ad revenue (or whatever is left of it) would be next to impossible, but staying on yt where they kick off informative and entertaining channels is also pretty messed up. Whose favourite chem channel will they take down next? I know they've had their eye on NurdRage for a while now...

ninhydric1 - 24-9-2017 at 19:42

Really? I've never subscribed to explosions and fire, but I did watch a few of his videos. Some pretty exotic syntheses he did, but nevertheless, he made chemistry feel "closer to home" as I would call it. I wish YouTube didn't have such as strong chemophobic mindset.

I hope some people have saved his videos.

[Edited on 9-25-2017 by ninhydric1]

Vosoryx - 24-9-2017 at 19:45

He's still active on his second channel.

He was also apparently a pretty active Sciencemadness user too, I often saw a tab open to SciMad in his browser when he panned over his computer screen.

I too wish that youtube wasn't as chemo phobic.

Cryolite. - 24-9-2017 at 23:11

His scimad username is Tdep. I have most of his videos saved-- the only ones I'm missing are the more recent ones posted over the summer.

symboom - 24-9-2017 at 23:14

Some channels are being taken down explosions and fire isnt there on youtube anymore the more recent Lls videos have been removed to bad we dont have a video hosting site for chemistry. Videos take up massive about of bandwidth an idea I was thinking would be creating gif pictures that have a summary of the video may have less. Vid.me is the latest video hosting site to be similar to youtube.

The only way I can see is encourage the channel authors to post videos on many video hosing sites that way it will be out there

Take nurdrage for example he put his synthesis of cyanide on video on vid.me because youtube removed it. Now I see his videos on wonderhowto.com
Instructables.com. Vid.me. And Dailymotion.com which is good ig one goes down there are others.

Tdep - 28-9-2017 at 19:19

Quote: Originally posted by Vosoryx  

He was also apparently a pretty active Sciencemadness user too, I often saw a tab open to SciMad in his browser when he panned over his computer screen.

I am here everyday, I just forget to reply to threads. Even when people name drop me... I also don't seem to have much to say, I don't know why I don't reply to many threads, but this is my favourite website.

Yeah, is a shame to lose the channel. Thanks to all the people helping me recover the videos, i'm still going through hard-drives and such to find if I have all the copies, will let people know if I'm short of any of them.
Dornier335A also lost his channel when I did. Many of you would know his videos, his work on the tetrazoles was particularly outstanding and I know we all thought that. I'm already on vimeo and will likely get around to being on Vid.me too, not sure if Dornier will do the same.

Vosoryx - 28-9-2017 at 20:42

If youtube insists on kicking chem channels off, the very least we could do is arrange one other site where we go to, instead of having a separate site for every channel. Maybe go to where NurdRage puts all the videos youtube deems "Too dangerous".
If you have access to them all, I would certainly suggest uploading the videos to another site. All that information going to waste would be painful for me, and probably others.

Oh, and being quoted by you was like being individually noticed by one of your idols, because it was.
Yes, I idolize youtube chemists... and no, I don't have many friends. :)

~Vos

Vosoryx - 6-11-2017 at 16:52

...Aaand they put two strikes on Cody'slab.
Come on youtube, seriously?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXT5T9MH7cI

Their beef was apparently with the microwaving fruit flies video (They/he took the video down, hence why it's not available on his channel. Perhaps someone has a mirror?), even though the video was showing that fruit flies aren't harmed in a microwave! I'm honestly expecting Nilered's DDT video to vanish in a few days. (It's harming bugs, just like the Cody'slab one)

Youtube: People will get offended by something. They all will. If you took down every possible offensive video on the site, you'd have an amazing video sharing website with NO VIDEOS. Deal with it.

~Vos

[Edited on 7-11-2017 by Vosoryx]

j_sum1 - 6-11-2017 at 17:48

The irony is that if he had merely sprayed the flies with commercial fly spray or even squished them in his fingers, no one would have minded.
But in this video he was able to demonstrate and justify scientifically that the flies would suffer no harm and he released them afterwards. Someone did not watch it to the end.

I watched a video on a different channel where it was demonstrated that flies could not fly in a vacuum chamber? Does that one get removed too? Removal of oxygen necessary for respiration arguable causes them more harm than a minute or so of microwaves.

JJay - 6-11-2017 at 17:52

YouTube took down Elch Science. I have no idea why. It seemed to have a lot of promise.

Vosoryx - 6-11-2017 at 18:58

Quote: Originally posted by JJay  
YouTube took down Elch Science. I have no idea why. It seemed to have a lot of promise.

I have never heard of that channel, which is a shame it got taken down before i even knew it existed. :/

The rules youtube is following seem to basically be arbitrary at this point. I occasionally think it might be worthwile to point out exceptions to videos they've taken down, but i'm worried that yt might then take down THOSE videos.
Example: why is Cody'slab's video that doesnt harm bugs taken down, but NileRed's that does kill bugs is still up?
Saying that to yt, if anything, would just get NR'S vid removed...

It almost feels to me like i'm powerless here.

Boffis - 9-1-2018 at 06:30

Can anyone recommend a free YT video downloader? I used to have one on my old laptop but I can't remember the name of it and I can't find one online without ending up on web sites that try to download a load of junk too.

Has anyone come across rgivideodownloader? It downloaded OK but there was a pop-ups saying the sites certificates were not in order /recognised. Whatever that means so I haven't opened it yet.

[Edited on 9-1-2018 by Boffis]

OK found it! Its 4K downloader

[Edited on 10-1-2018 by Boffis]

ThalliumHydroxide - 11-1-2018 at 20:32

Man has anyone heard of that college chemistry channel? I heard he's super hot irl :P

This one is pretty well regarded but I don't use it https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/video-downloader-p...

j_sum1 - 4-2-2018 at 15:19

So, Cody is now in non-posting limbo on his main channel. He says he isn't worried but he seems rattled. The vid that got flagged is several years old: the one where he explains how to convert urine to gunpowder. You know, pee on straw and leave the bacteria to have their way for a year. Content-wise it is identical to a BBC documentary I once saw. Totally innocuous. And in any case there are thousands of black powder videos out there.
He feels singled out. Actually I think it is non-scholastic chemistry tgat is being singled out. If you wear a lab coat in a lecture theatre and discuss theory you are probably ok. If you experiment at home then you get pinged for anything less than four degrees of separation away from anything energetic or drug related. Exception: if your name is Jackass and you have no knowledge and you accidentally burn your deck-chair playing with pool chemicals and brake fluid, then yt probaby thinks you are ok.

Maybe it is time to revisit the video hosting idea. I'd prefer to splash some cash in that direction than bolster someone's Patreon account.

aga - 4-2-2018 at 15:29

Cody is probably under the spotlight due to his relationship with King of Random.

Having videos out there making nitroglycerine would clinch it.

The law guys need very little to make very serious allegations/charges, and it's all there on utoob.

To be fair, Both Cody and Grant have only stuck up those videos to make cash, so if it backfires, well, that's Business.

Edit:
I've chatted with Nurdy once and also have some videos on utoob.
Hopefully i'm not targetted (!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Igkqzb6rFXo

[Edited on 4-2-2018 by aga]

j_sum1 - 4-2-2018 at 16:20

I am not disputing that both GT and CR are in it for the money. YT encourages that. It just seems that practical Science is unfairly targeted while compilations of people dying in car accidents is considered ok.

symboom - 13-4-2018 at 13:33

So tge video channeps in danger and on strike two with youtube is
Chemplayer

Another two videos gone and 'second strike'. We have appealed but we won't be removing anything so we suggest you make any backups of our videos that you like now!
Excerpt from their twitter post.

Codys lab has changed to codysblab
Explosions and fire is changed yo explosions and ire

PirateDocBrown - 14-4-2018 at 11:13

Here's what I subscribe to:

aga
AllChemystery
Astral Chemistry
Chem Explorer
chemx01
Chem Player
Cody'sLab
College Chemistry
Doug's Lab
EH Production Videos
Explosions&Fire2
Extractions&Ire
Hegelrast
JOHN BLACK SUPER CHEMIST (for lols)
koen2all
mabakken
mrhomescientist
Myfanwy94
myst32YT
nilamotk
NileRed
NurdRage
Nux,s Channel
Random Experiments Int. - Experiments and syntheses
ReactionFactory
Shiva Chemist
Smokin' Hot Science
Texium
The Canadian Chemist
TheHomeScientist
UC235
ytmachx

Some of these no longer post, but there are many good videos out there, that ought to be backed up.

aga - 14-4-2018 at 11:16

That first one is garbage.

YT should ban it immediately due to random themes and inconsistent posting timing/quality ;)

Edit:

Doing the animations for the Rocket Science vids was great fun.

[Edited on 14-4-2018 by aga]

PirateDocBrown - 14-4-2018 at 12:06

While looking up all those, I found some more!

Akhil the Chemist
Aussie Chemist
Hazel Chem
Tom's Lab

NeonPulse - 26-4-2018 at 04:25

Sadly chemplayer is now gone from YT. That amazing catalogue of videos are now terminated.
There’s a couple of videos I really wished I’d saved though. I understand that chemplayer has the full backup but where is the motivation to repost them anywhere? YT has the widest audience and the monopoly on video content which sux really since they have turned to shit ever since sue took over. Hopefully they can win an appeal but I doubt it. The appeal system is pretty much just for show IMO. Hardly anyone wins.

j_sum1 - 26-4-2018 at 04:34

So we are at the point where if you find a good chem yt channel, you don't subscribe; you download. Because you don't know when it will be gone.

??

Velzee - 26-4-2018 at 07:34

Quote: Originally posted by Boffis  
Can anyone recommend a free YT video downloader? I used to have one on my old laptop but I can't remember the name of it and I can't find one online without ending up on web sites that try to download a load of junk too.

Has anyone come across rgivideodownloader? It downloaded OK but there was a pop-ups saying the sites certificates were not in order /recognised. Whatever that means so I haven't opened it yet.

youtube-dl.

Velzee - 26-4-2018 at 08:01

These are the ones I'm currently subscribed to:

-12thealchemist
-aga
-AHW214
-AllChemystery
-AMchemistry
-Astral Chemistry
-Aussie Chemist
-BackMacSci
-bionerd23 (mainly radiochemistry)
-Brain&Force
-Canuck Hacker
-Chemplayer
-ChemExperimentalist
-Chemistry Due
-ChemPracs
-ChemSurvival
-ChemX
-Cody'sBLab
-Cody'sLab
-College Chemistry
-Colorfully Chemistry
-Dornier335A
-Doug's Lab
-EH Prouductions Videos
-Explosions&Fire2
-Extractions&Ire
-Frankium
-Frankly Chemistry
-Gooferking Science
-Hegelrast
-JenTheChemLady
-koen2all
-mabakken
-Matter Manipulation
-mrhomescientist
-myst32YT
-Nation Of Our Hobbies
-NileBlue
-NileRed
-NurdRage
-ParadoxChem
-Periodic Videos
-Random Experiments Int. - Experiments and Syntheses
-Rhodanide
-Shiva Chemist
-sum_lab
-Texium
-The Canadian Chemist
-TheChemistryShack
-TheHomeScientist
-toothpick993
-UC235
-weiming1998
-zhmapper

These all vary from quality, but I feel that they're just as important.
And let's not forget the page of the Wiki that lists many obsecure videos and channels: http://www.sciencemadness.org/smwiki/index.php/Chemistry_Dia...

[Edited on 4/26/2018 by Velzee]

[Edited on 4/26/2018 by Velzee]

PirateDocBrown - 26-4-2018 at 14:35

Does anyone have a download of Chemplayer's full portfolio? How big is it? Can you post it, for others to copy?

j_sum1 - 26-4-2018 at 14:45

Quote: Originally posted by PirateDocBrown  
Does anyone have a download of Chemplayer's full portfolio? How big is it? Can you post it, for others to copy?

I would pay actual cash for a set of chemplayer videos on a DVD.
We are talking about a sufficient volume of material that the whole upload/download process is not trivial, and, IMO there is something appealing about a physical copy. I have watched them all twice, learned a lot, downloaded a few, and naively thought I had some time to see them again.

A bit depends on what chemplayer(s) wants. Hopefully they will chime in and give us an update.

NeonPulse - 26-4-2018 at 16:14

Likewise. A complete set would be well worth paying for. There was probably around 100 + videos many of them unique and all were well produced and presented in a great way. He did say that the channel would likely be gone in a month and he was right. it’s pretty damn close to a month. It really sux that the years of hard work can just be deleted at the whim of someone who disagrees the validity and safety of the content.

Velzee - 26-4-2018 at 16:46

Luckily for all, I had backed up most of their videos; I've posted a link in Whimsy

idk_something - 26-4-2018 at 19:17

Quote: Originally posted by Velzee  
Luckily for all, I had backed up most of their videos; I've posted a link in Whimsy

Sorry I'm new, what's Whimsy?

j_sum1 - 26-4-2018 at 19:33

Quote: Originally posted by idk_something  

If you look on the front page of the board you find teh various forums. One of these, whimsy, is set up so that it is not searchable by search engines and not open access. Once you have been around a while and contributed, you can request access from an admin.

In the meantime, if you really want to grab the link that velzee posted, I suggest you send him a message via U2U.

idk_something - 27-4-2018 at 08:00

Quote: Originally posted by idk_something  

If you look on the front page of the board you find teh various forums. One of these, whimsy, is set up so that it is not searchable by search engines and not open access. Once you have been around a while and contributed, you can request access from an admin.

In the meantime, if you really want to grab the link that velzee posted, I suggest you send him a message via U2U.

Thank you :)

Videos Archived

gravityzero - 29-4-2018 at 15:18

Community,

I often make archives of content I feel might disappear.
I have on hand 182 videos of Chemplayer in 720p @ 30fps.
The Folder is 16.4GBs in size. If anyone needs my help with this let me know.

I normally backup in 720p due to the amount of storage space videos require.
I also other channels archived in 720p or the best that was available.
Most of the other channels are still online, but I like to play it safe.

Chemplayer - 720p
Doug's Lab - 720p
LaFFle - 720p
MYST32 - 480
Nile Red - 720p
Nurd Rage - 720p
NUX - 720p
TDC - 720p
UC235 - 480p

If a moderator needs my assistance in getting this files out, please send a U2U.
Not sure the best way to go about it, but I'm here to help the community.

Clarification

gravityzero - 29-4-2018 at 15:53

I want to clarify the statement I made earlier.
I have an offline backup of this material.

I do not have links to this material for download.
I do not have online space to provide that amount of data.

I am willing to upload, and take the time to upload, the entire archive.
The moderators or the community will need to devise a storage location.
Provide me access in a U2U and I will upload the content.

Alternatively, if someone can suggest another method of delivery, please suggest.
Thanks for undestanding.

Velzee - 30-4-2018 at 06:05

youtube-dl.

PirateDocBrown - 10-5-2018 at 02:26

And now, NurdRage has gotten his first strike. For an otherwise innocuous video.

Can steps be taken to preserve his work?

symboom - 10-5-2018 at 12:48

Your right
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ2C2w8Ntt4
In one off his videos he said what video platform made a video hosting site

DavidJR a member here has made a video hosting site
He has chemplayer on there now
https://smvideo.djr.pw

[Edited on 10-5-2018 by symboom]

fusso - 10-5-2018 at 14:50

Actually does Nurdrage have a SM acc?

yobbo II - 10-5-2018 at 16:02

Quote: Originally posted by PirateDocBrown  
And now, NurdRage has gotten his first strike. For an otherwise innocuous video.

Can steps be taken to preserve his work?

What was he knocked for?

j_sum1 - 10-5-2018 at 16:44

Nurdrage used to frequent here but is no longer active. He is active on reddit and twitter.

The strike was for the final video in his pyrimethamine synthesis -- a project which IIRC took about a year.
This smacks of ignorant idiocy. Pyramethamine is a drug used to treat toxoplasmosis and used to be a treatment for malaria. It is not psychoactive and is not the kind of drug that could ever be abused.

Nurdrage chose this as a project because some years ago the pharma companies producing it hiked the price up to $75000 per monthly treatment. In response a group of students synthesised it for a fraction of that cost as an undergraduate project. Nurdrage wanted to demonstrate that the same could be done with simple equipment using OTC sources for all reagents. The reaction sequence, planning and execution was a fine example of the usefulness of amateur hemistry and included several novel discoveries. It is great science and has huge educational value.

There can be no reasonable justification for taking this video down. But it falls under the deliberately vague category of "community guidelines" and YT reserves the right to do as they wish. Of course, Nurdrage will probably get only 250 characters to lodge an appeal and that will likely be read by a bot and not a human. The system is broken.

I believe that Nurdrage's entire offerings have been preserved by several members. It would be worth making contact with him to see if he would be agreeable to his work being uploaded here in the chance that his whole site goes down.

Both Dictatorial and Ineffective

Vomaturge - 10-5-2018 at 18:00

This smacks of ignorant idiocy. Pyramethamine is a drug used to treat toxoplasmosis and used to be a treatment for malaria. It is not psychoactive and is not the kind of drug that could ever be abused.

But...But... making Methamphetamine is ungood, making pyrotechnics is plusungood, so making pyramethamine has to be doubleplusungood!

Seriously, though, I think that YT shuts down these videos via a combination of intention and accident. They use viewer feedback, automatic algorithms, and maybe some human judgement sometimes, in order to enforce their "community guidelines." Of the type of content they want to remove, what actually gets a strike seems very arbitrary. Some things might even be deemed acceptable to the people who come up with ideas on what to restrict, but their codes will weed it out nonetheless. Maybe the whole thing would make more sense if they stated specifically why something was deleted, but maybe not. It appears, at least on the surface, to be a very random, chaotic process, with a moderate predisposition for removing the type of channels which YouTube doesn't like. A video of people playing a sport, or cats doing silly things, might be less vulnerable to it than a video of someone building bombs or encouraging racist crimes, but all are at risk.

I strongly suspect that they give the biggest channels some immunity, so they can keep advertising. Or maybe, they have actual employees to administer strikes to channels with over say, a million subscribers. They wouldn't want their bots to accidentally scrap such a lucrative channel as King of Random, now would they?

Don't get me wrong, I think YouTube is unreasonable about what they want people to watch, and I am angry that they target science so harshly. If they try to restrict more and more subject matters, including science, then those subject matters will begin getting more and more strikes. Still, like lightning strikes, there will always be an element of chance to what gets hit and what gets spared.

Whatever the cause, it is outrageous for them to target this video in particular. As NurdRage himself said, it is actually safer than many of the videos on his channel. I really hope he can get the strike cleared, or at least not get any more.

Is it just me or has YT been extra hard on science channels the last year or so? I have been looking at these channels a bit more this last year, but I've always browsed them off and on. Maybe it's just selection bias, and it's been this bad for a while? If it is a trend, I hope it does not get any worse.

Glad people are archiving these channels.

DavidJR - 10-5-2018 at 20:19

I believe that Nurdrage's entire offerings have been preserved by several members. It would be worth making contact with him to see if he would be agreeable to his work being uploaded here in the chance that his whole site goes down.

I got in touch asking if they were interested in uploading to the site I host. Their reply:

Quote:

If i should indeed get banned off youtube then i'll consider alternative uploads. I'm not too worried. Youtube has messed with me before. Strong chance this will blow over like always. But if doesn't, i'll certainly look into alternative sites.

12thealchemist - 11-5-2018 at 05:59

Just my contribution of chemistry channels that I am subscribed to:

Akhil the Chemist
AHW214
AMchemistry
NurdRage
ChemPracs
ChemExplorer Kim
The Canadian Chemist
toothpick993
Aussie Chemist
Texium
zhmapper
Tom's Lab
Smokin' Hot Science
ChemX
College Chemistry
Astral Chemistry
AllChemystery
Nation Of Our Hobbies
koen2all
Frankium
weiming1998
Rhodanide
The Chemical Workshop
sum_lab
Hazel Chem
eku_chem_lab
LuminolSynthesis
Matter Manipulation
Backyard Science
Nux,s Channel
Artisan-man
Dave Thomas
ChemistryDude
DrMarkForeman
Thoisoi2
ClemDeke
TheChemiKid
ProfessorDaveatYork
ChemToddler
ButteScience
ytmachx
TheHomeScientist
The Jeffrey 27
The Chemistry Shack
theChaotiChemist
Shiva Chemist
ReactionFactory
Random Experiments
MyLittleChemistryLab
Hegelrast
Gooferking Science
endimion17
elementguy27
EH Productions Videos
chemx01
chemistvip
ChemExperimentalist
chem2050
Chaoschemiker
Bunsen Burns
Modge
NightHawkInLight
TDC
Cody'sLab
Doug's Lab
Jose Alberto Aldana Osma
AlchemicalGarden
PieceOfScience
Extractions&Ire
Brain&Force
hkchem
NileRed
AppliedScience
mabakken
hkparker
myst32YT
mrhomescientist
UC235

I'll also add that I've transcribed and condensed the procedures for what I considered the best and biggest videos into a series of Word documents, which I am more than happy to post here if so desired. They are up to date as of today, but do not cover a few of the videos.
Selected channels: ChemPlayer, chemx01, Doug's Lab, Hazel Chem, NileRed, NurdRage, Nux,s channel, UC235
Odd videos from: mabakken, myst32YT, CHEM2050, mrhomescientist, AlchemicalGarden, elementguy27, Random Experiements
Total size: ~95 pages

[Edited on 11-5-2018 by 12thealchemist]

DavidJR - 11-5-2018 at 08:56

Quote: Originally posted by 12thealchemist  

I'll also add that I've transcribed and condensed the procedures for what I considered the best and biggest videos into a series of Word documents, which I am more than happy to post here if so desired. They are up to date as of today, but do not cover a few of the videos.
Selected channels: ChemPlayer, chemx01, Doug's Lab, Hazel Chem, NileRed, NurdRage, Nux,s channel, UC235
Odd videos from: mabakken, myst32YT, CHEM2050, mrhomescientist, AlchemicalGarden, elementguy27, Random Experiements
Total size: ~95 pages

I would be interested in that.

12thealchemist - 11-5-2018 at 11:36

I have attached a Microsoft Word (.docx) and PDF (.pdf) version of the complete document, accurate as of 11th May 2018. Chemical structures/reactions were drawn in ChemDraw. I've also attached a much shorter document covering the processing of platinum, gallium, and mercury wastes as documented by NurdRage and NileRed.

Do tell me if I've made any mistakes!

Attachment: All - 11.05.2018.pdf (1MB)
This file has been downloaded 934 times

Attachment: All.docx (1.8MB)
This file has been downloaded 651 times

Attachment: Waste processing - 11.05.2018.pdf (87kB)
This file has been downloaded 505 times

Attachment: Waste processing.docx (15kB)
This file has been downloaded 445 times

[Edited on 11-5-2018 by 12thealchemist]

streety - 14-5-2018 at 04:03

Is anyone else going through and downloading all the channels posted by PirateDocBrown, Velzee, and 12thealchemist? I had started on the limited number of sites I knew but have now expanded to everything I can find. I've added a few extra channels covering electronics, engineering, physics etc. I'm currently 265G in and still have a way to go yet.

I'm using youtube-dl. Velzee has already posted a link. The full command I am using is:

youtube-dl --download-archive archive.txt --write-description --write-info-json --write-annotations --write-thumbnail --all-subs -f best <<channel_link>>

Is anyone doing anything about the comments? Usually they're worthless but for these channels there are going to be some gems.

Another Good Channel

SomeGoofball - 14-5-2018 at 11:26

Applied Science is another great channel!!

I noticed that his channel hasn't been mentioned much here.

I don't think his channel is in any risk of being pulled by YT, but he makes great, notable content.

(I am not Applied Science :D)

Updated compilation of YouTube videos

12thealchemist - 23-5-2018 at 01:03

I've gone through again and expanded the document I uploaded earlier, and added quite a few more channels and any videos I'd missed from already-documented channels.
Selected channels: ChemPlayer, chemx01, Doug's Lab, Hazel Chem, NileRed, NurdRage, Nux,s channel, UC235, 12thealchemist
Odd videos from: mabakken, myst32YT, CHEM2050, mrhomescientist, AlchemicalGarden, elementguy27, Random Experiements, Applied Science, Artisan man, Astral chemistry, ChemExplorer Kim, ChemPracs, College Chemistry, EH Productions videos, eku_chem_lab, Extractions&Ire, Frankium, Full Modern Alchemist, hkparker, LuminolSynthesis, Matter Manipulation, Rhodanide, Smokin' Hot Science, Texium, The Canadian Chemist, TheChemiKid, The Chemistry Shack, Thoisoi2, Tom's Lab

I've also added a hyperlinked contents page, since I figured it would now be a useful addition.
Total size: 175 pages

Correct as of 23rd May 2018: Attachment: Syntheses of YouTube - 23.05.2018.pdf (3.1MB)
This file has been downloaded 1762 times

Edit: Something went wrong and the footers had disappeared in the previous file

[Edited on 23-5-2018 by 12thealchemist]

DavidJR - 23-5-2018 at 01:48

Quote: Originally posted by 12thealchemist  
I've gone through again and expanded the document I uploaded earlier, and added quite a few more channels and any videos I'd missed from already-documented channels.
Selected channels: ChemPlayer, chemx01, Doug's Lab, Hazel Chem, NileRed, NurdRage, Nux,s channel, UC235, 12thealchemist
Odd videos from: mabakken, myst32YT, CHEM2050, mrhomescientist, AlchemicalGarden, elementguy27, Random Experiements, Applied Science, Artisan man, Astral chemistry, ChemExplorer Kim, ChemPracs, College Chemistry, EH Productions videos, eku_chem_lab, Extractions&Ire, Frankium, Full Modern Alchemist, hkparker, LuminolSynthesis, Matter Manipulation, Rhodanide, Smokin' Hot Science, Texium, The Canadian Chemist, TheChemiKid, The Chemistry Shack, Thoisoi2, Tom's Lab

I've also added a hyperlinked contents page, since I figured it would now be a useful addition.
Total size: 175 pages

Correct as of 23rd May 2018:

Edit: Something went wrong and the footers had disappeared in the previous file

[Edited on 23-5-2018 by 12thealchemist]

Very useful, thank you.

streety - 23-5-2018 at 03:34

I'm close to having all the channels I could find copied. I'll attach a couple of csv files listing the channels and what I have downloaded so far.

I think I have all the videos for everything except Royal Society Of Chemistry and NightHawkInLight. If anything doesn't look correct please let me know. Also, please let me know if I am missing a channel.

I have the actual video, annotations, subtitles and summary information on each video. If anyone is interested in a list of all the video let me know and I'll put it together.

I have not yet started on the comments. I will probably look into that this weekend.

Attachment: chemistry_videos_summary_by_count.csv (10kB)
This file has been downloaded 815 times

Attachment: chemistry_videos_summary_by_name.csv (10kB)
This file has been downloaded 849 times

APO - 16-6-2018 at 04:25

Just want to say I whole heatedly agree with the action of and appreciate the sentiment of people backing this fine work up.

I would also like to make it known Chem Player has moved here.

MJ101 - 16-6-2018 at 06:54

I'd like to say thank you to all of you who are preserving these videos. I regained my interest in chemistry by watching nilered, nurdrage, uc235 and doug's lab.
I got to see one video by chemplayer and the channel was taken down.

These videos have so much to contribute to our society. Had I not watched them, I would have never had the opportunity to see these reactions actually being done.
I would not have known how dangerous they can be. Now I know. And hopefully, others know too.

IMHO, youtube asked the wrong group of people to critique their chemistry videos. They should have asked the folks here to do that.

Just my 2 cents / pence / <Add your currency here>

Hosting platform option...

WGTR - 17-6-2018 at 12:57

As I understand the problem, we are currently at the whim of whoever is hosting the videos/etc to not delete them. I can almost guarantee that a few years from now any links to the videos in this thread will be dead, either because the host went out of business, the poster didn’t keep up his/her subscription, the video was deemed to violate a TOS, the link expired, or otherwise because a butterfly sneezed while flapping his wings in Antarctica.

I think that Freenet (The Freenet Project) would offer a good solution to this type of problem. The project has been around for a long time, and the program is a free download. It’s basically a cross between regular web hosting and a filesharing program like Bit Torrent. Very simply described, the program runs invisibly in the background. When a user clicks on a Freenet link, a tab automatically opens in the web browser (Firefox, etc) and the request is routed through the Freenet network. The file opens in the web browser (if the file is a web page), or the usual dialog box pops up (giving you the option to open the file or save it), pretty much like it would if you were accessing a normal website. It’s operation is practically transparent once it’s set up.

The main difference between Freenet and regular web hosting is that Freenet is decentralized. Each Freenet user designates a fixed amount of space on their hard drive (10-50GB or so) to use as a datastore for the network. When someone uploads a file to the network, that file is automatically split into multiple pieces and spread across the datastores of the various users on the network. When someone wants to download the file, the opposite happens. Pieces of the file are automatically located and gathered together from the different user’s datastores. If several people are offline, there are normally enough redundant pieces in the network to reassemble the file on demand, hence it is referred to as a “censorship resistant” platform. This is contrasted with normal web hosting, where the host going offline or deleting the file means that no one can download the file anymore.

Files can’t be deleted from Freenet once they’re uploaded, unless everyone goes offline and un-installs Freenet at the same time. It’s like throwing a bag of dust to the wind; you can’t hope to retrieve the pieces once they’re uploaded. Every time someone downloads a file it gets distributed more widely across the different client’s datastores. The only usual way for a file to disappear from the network is for no one to ever download it; as new content gets uploaded, unpopular content gets slowly crowded off the datastores.

Freenet can be set up to connect to the network in one of three different ways: open-net mode, darknet mode, and hybrid mode. Open-net is what most beginners use, as it allows one to immediately hook up to the network and start using Freenet. It’s like the World Wide Web of Freenet so to speak. It could also be called the Wild Wild West of Freenet as well. Since the platform is censorship resistant it also attracts a lot of off-topic and/or objectionable content. Pieces of this content will be stored in your datastores. The datastores are encrypted so that you don’t know what they actually contain, but just the same, I think most people would be uncomfortable with this, even in the name of "free speech".

Darknet mode is much more limited. Users connect only to other users that they approve of ahead of time, instead of connecting to the wider Freenet community. A given darknet would be isolated from regular open-net users. It would be like having our own private Sciencemadness network. Our datastores would only contain on-topic (i.e. science-related) material, and our bandwidth would be donated only to other users on the same darknet. This keeps our bandwidth from being used/abused by open-net users, and also prevents our own content from being pushed off our datastores (since chemistry videos probably aren’t that popular on Freenet as a whole).

Hybrid mode is, you guessed it, a mix of open-net and darknet modes. At least one person on a given darknet also hooks up to open-net, allowing users on the darknet to access the rest of the content on Freenet. This in my view is undesireable, as it brings off-topic material into our datastores, and may slow down access to Sciencemadness users. If anyone tries this I’m pretty sure that I could identify them and have them kicked off the darknet. It might be an interesting experiment to try. I think that darknet mode would be best for our given situation.

While Freenet is often promoted as providing anonymity to uploaders and downloaders, there are certain attacks that law enforcement or others can apply to the network to determine if you’re downloading a particular file, provided that they are also a member of the same darknet (and assume that they are). It’s not intended to hide what you’re doing on the network from others, but is designed to provide censorship resistance, i.e., the opposite of what YouTube currently does. If you feel that accessing chemistry videos is somehow frowned upon in your jurisdiction, you can always access Freenet through a VPN, etc.

If anyone is interested in trying this out let me know. We would need at least 5 people to get a darknet running well, and would prefer those who can keep their computer running most of the time, but anyone interested in playing around with it is invited. We can upload some videos and have some other users download them and see how the general performance is. Freenet is based on Java, so it will run on Windows, Linux, whatever. There’s a learning curve when it comes to creating your own website and uploading it for the first time, but it’s not overly complicated. Uploading a video by itself is by contrast very easy to do. You upload the file through the browser, and it provides to you a link that you can post to the forum, etc.

JJay - 17-6-2018 at 13:02

You could upload them to the Internet Archive: https://archive.org/details/movies

It's unlikely to go away anytime soon.

chemplayer... - 17-6-2018 at 19:21

Probably something that every channel should do just in case (it's not going to cannibalise views as not many people know it exists, and I don't think the contents are visible on a google search).

https://archive.org/details/ChemPlayer

WGTR - 18-6-2018 at 10:35

Well, see, there I go again...proposing a complicated solution to a problem that's already been solved. I didn't know that you could just upload videos to archive.org. Do they have some kind of TOS for what you can upload? I didn't see any real guidelines when I checked, other than to mind the copyright laws. That seems overly permissive to the point that I'm sure to be missing something.

I may play around with Freenet a bit anyway. I haven't done much of anything with it over the years, in spite of how interestingly it seems to work. I find poking through various types of networking platforms to be fun. Perhaps I'll take one of my better posts here and upload it in the form of a small Freenet website just to see how it goes.

I2P is another option, but I believe that the datastore is not decentralized on that platform, thus the hosting computer would have to remain online at all times to make the webpage/files accessible. That wouldn't be very useful from a resiliency perspective.

streety - 18-6-2018 at 17:37

You may also be interested in https://ipfs.io/ - it seems to be gaining a lot of traction lately.

When I initially started backing up these channels I didn't have any plans other than my personal use. Tools like youtube-dl make it so simple it seemed like anyone could make their own backup. As the volume of material I've collected[1] has grown I have thought about how I could apply it to a larger purpose.

That being said, I'm uneasy about posting the videos anywhere without the creators permission prior to a video or channel being deleted.

[1] I have now downloaded well over a terabyte of video. Many of the largest channels are not chemistry related but the 1-10 GB for most channels quickly add up.

WGTR - 18-6-2018 at 19:44

Thanks for the tip. I'll study up on it a bit.

streety - 7-8-2018 at 04:13

The JOHN BLACK SUPER CHEMIST youtube channel has also now been terminated. I'm not sure when it happened, only noticed when I happened to see the error message from youtube-dl

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQwT7_Hd61jorj3f0cenZuA

j_sum1 - 7-8-2018 at 05:06

I have only watched a few of his. But he was good! Sad news. Wonder what happened.

Abromination - 9-8-2018 at 09:37

The 4 main channels currently on YouTube are
NurdRage
NileRed
Periodic Videos
Cody's Lab

There are a significant amount of others, and they are in a significant amount of danger.

NurdRage did get a strike but I think his appeal was listened to and they took it back. He is probably the most important source for inorganic chemistry, although his lab practice is a bit messy.

NileRed is my personal favorite and is a valuable source for organic chemistry although NurdRage is probably the better chemist. He is in way more danger despite his videos being less dangerous than NurdRages. Even though he is rapidly gaining attention, I still worry.

Cody'sLab is probably ok as he is very considerate of regulations. He isnt technically a chemist (he is a geologist) but his videos can still be considered valuable.

No need to worry about periodic videos.

In terms of what should be backed up, certain videos should have priority such as:
NurdRages sodium synthesis w/ domestic chemicals
acquisition of chemicals
Electrochemistry videos
Purifying Chemicals/extraction videos
Acquisition of pure elements
Safety videos
Videos in immediate danger (NaCN synthesis by NurdRage, etc.)
Complex important organic chemistry videos
Videos with hard to find information
Creation of alkali/halogens/acids/bases
Iodine/phosphorus/benzaldehyde and similarly controled chemicals
Hard to find lab practices
Methods to create sulfuric acid
Lab equipment acquisition

Im sure there are more, but that is a good start for a priority list.

MrHomeScientist - 9-8-2018 at 09:54

Thanks for taking the time to document so many reactions, 12thealchemist! Great work.

It's interesting to see my videos distilled down to a few sentences, which can still accurately describe everything I did. It made me wonder "How did I manage to turn that into 15 minutes??" :)

weilawei - 11-8-2018 at 02:23

WGTR: I was rather heavily involved with Freenet at a point many years ago, and was intimately familiar with its architecture and code. It suffered from extreme latency and reliability issues. Not a great place to archive thousands of videos, because most people simply won't allocate a useful amount of storage to Freenet. If it tries to find the video, and you've got to retrieve it 15 hops deep... it'll be a month before you're done.

Also, uploading content is a spectacularly slow and painful process. Even to insert a small blog-style page to a KSK or SSK took hours. Worse still, if the content is unpopular and not accessed routinely, it'll be forced out of the stores relatively quickly (due to typical store size). Then you have to re-insert it.

I say put them up on a torrent site accessible over Tor. I can't get BitChute's magnet links to work for whatever reason--it never finishes downloading the metadata and one of their trackers fails every time. And I just can't be bothered to make their setup work when magnet links from elsewhere work fine.

Hell, I've got an old 1TB RAID from years ago that I just dug out of a box and have no use for. If someone made torrents, I'd be happy to seed them, assuming the content creators are okay with it. It wouldn't hold everything certainly, but I don't mind sharing what I can for storage and bandwidth for high value content.

Edit: Skimming through the first pages of the thread, someone mentioned the idea of actual DVDs of Chemplayer's videos. I would also pay for that. The same goes for NurdRage, NileRed, and a number of others. I buy dead-tree books still, why not have nice DVDs?

[Edited on 11-8-2018 by weilawei]

arkoma - 11-8-2018 at 04:17

@ ChemPlayer--thanks for archiving your stuff. grabbing the OGG archive now. BitChute does kind of have issues, neither the nickel chloride/borohydride vid or acetophenone one will play for me.

AussieChemist - 20-8-2018 at 05:31

there are lots and lots of problems with other video site tho, I uploaded some of my strike videos on vidme, well I guess you all know what happened to it. sites like Bitchute and Vemeo takes forever to upload and there are limits to how much can be uploaded in a week.

UC235 - 7-9-2018 at 20:33

Nothing's happened to my channel, though I suspect that's because it's dormant and has very little activity aside from an occasional person making inane comments on videos that I prefer to ignore. Surprisingly, I still get about 4000 views and 60 subscribers per month despite 6 years of dormancy.

Many of my videos are posted in text format on this forum. Some in prepublication, others in various threads on the relevant topics, as well as several procedures that came after I stopped making videos (which have since been made into videos by other youtube chemists, ex. Doug's Lab prep of Phenol).

If anything should happen to the channel, I have the video files saved on an external hard drive and would find a way to reupload them elsewhere.

nimgoldman - 8-9-2018 at 08:43

I use YTD Video Downloader - it supports downloading whole playlists.

I download all the interesting videos - it happened several times in the past YT deleted it so it's great to have a backup.

Here are ChemPlayer's videos (ChemPlayer have been taken down by YT):

https://www.bitchute.com/channel/chemplayer/

Hopefully the authors will move to a more liberal platform, like DTube.

[Edited on 8-9-2018 by nimgoldman]

chemplayer... - 22-9-2018 at 20:32

Bitchute seems to have promise as a platform, and although has a few technical troubles (e.g. browser compatibility in some cases), seems to be going in the right direction and the founders are making the right noises with respect to content. The whole DTube/Steemit crypto thing seems a lot more clunky so we avoided it.