Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Camphor

PirateDocBrown - 12-5-2017 at 17:48

Found an inexpensive source of camphor, about $25/kilo.

Natural camphor is a single enantiomer ketone, and so can be reacted with a racemate, which can them be resolved into its components, I'm thinking by column chromatography, but there are various crystallization methods, too.

Anyone ever try something similar?

Magpie - 12-5-2017 at 19:35

Quote: Originally posted by PirateDocBrown  

Anyone ever try something similar?

I tried the Experiment 41 in Brewster (forum library), Preparation and Resolution of D,L-s-Octyl Hydrogen Phthalate
using brucine. I did not get a good synthesis so can't tell you how it worked out. I would like to try this again sometime, however.

PirateDocBrown - 13-5-2017 at 01:09

I recall some university lab somewhere that had a tall (like several stories) column for the resolution of diastereomers. It was filled with ordinary sucrose, which is of course diastereomeric. The eluent must have been something non-polar, maybe heptane? I don't really recall. They never actually cleaned it out, they just ran more eluent through it, till it was clear again.

Kind of a brute force method, but apparently it worked.

I suppose I could rig one up, but it'd take a tall building, about 40' of glass tubing, and a whole lotta solvent.

[Edited on 5/13/17 by PirateDocBrown]

unionised - 13-5-2017 at 05:03

It's slightly ironic that most people's first experience of chromatography- using paper- is, in principle, able to separate optical isomers since cellulose is chiral.
I have heard of cornstarch being used as a column packing

alive&kickin - 14-5-2017 at 18:09

PirateDocBrown, care to share your source?

PirateDocBrown - 15-5-2017 at 01:18

Indian grocery stores sell camphor. Indian cuisine actually uses small amounts of it as a flavoring. Not a toxic quantity, but it's still something that gets supplied. I found 2 different brands, each package of 100g, for $2.50 a package.