Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Blueprints for flammable cabinet?

100PercentChemistry - 1-7-2017 at 19:56

I am looking to make my self a flammable cabinet. Does anyone have any guidelines? I have tried OSHA and NFPA but I can't find a good page. Does anyone also have a good webpage/video providing a step by step tutorial? Thanks!
(I am planning to make it out of wood and fire resistant paint.)

JJay - 1-7-2017 at 22:44

OSHA:

1910.106(d)(3)

"Design, construction, and capacity of storage cabinets" -
1910.106(d)(3)(i)

Maximum capacity. Not more than 60 gallons of Category 1, 2, or 3 flammable liquids, nor more than 120 gallons of Category 4 flammable liquids may be stored in a storage cabinet.
1910.106(d)(3)(ii)

"Fire resistance." Storage cabinets shall be designed and constructed to limit the internal temperature to not more than 325 deg. F. when subjected to a 10-minute fire test using the standard time-temperature curve as set forth in Standard Methods of Fire Tests of Building Construction and Materials, NFPA 251-1969, which is incorporated by reference as specified in Sec. 1910.6. All joints and seams shall remain tight and the door shall remain securely closed during the fire test. Cabinets shall be labeled in conspicuous lettering, "Flammable - Keep Fire Away."
1910.106(d)(3)(ii)(a)

Metal cabinets constructed in the following manner shall be deemed to be in compliance. The bottom, top, door, and sides of cabinet shall be at least No. 18 gage sheet iron and double walled with 1 1/2 - inch air space. Joints shall be riveted, welded or made tight by some equally effective means. The door shall be provided with a three-point lock, and the door sill shall be raised at least 2 inches above the bottom of the cabinet.
1910.106(d)(3)(ii)(b)

Wooden cabinets constructed in the following manner shall be deemed in compliance. The bottom, sides, and top shall be constructed of an approved grade of plywood at least 1 inch in thickness, which shall not break down or delaminate under fire conditions. All joints shall be rabbetted and shall be fastened in two directions with flathead woodscrews. When more than one door is used, there shall be a rabbetted overlap of not less than 1 inch. Hinges shall be mounted in such a manner as not to lose their holding capacity due to loosening or burning out of the screws when subjected to the fire test.

Sulaiman - 2-7-2017 at 02:28

Quote: Originally posted by 100PercentChemistry  
I am looking to make my self a flammable cabinet. Does anyone have any guidelines?
<snip>
(I am planning to make it out of wood and fire resistant paint.)

to make your self a flammable cabinet you need magic :P
to make a flammable cabinet, instead of paint, use kerosene :D
to make a flammables cabinet, follow the advice above, or better :cool:

e.g. https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=sign+flammables+cabinet&am...
or
FLAMMABLES.jpg - 48kB

May be interresting; YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-LGE_VL4xk
(but set to at least 1.5x speed)

[Edited on 2-7-2017 by Sulaiman]

100PercentChemistry - 2-7-2017 at 14:54

Thanks for you help! I think I might try this one that I just found.
http://www.popularwoodworking.com/projects/flammables-cabine...