Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Wikipedia List of Commonly Available Chemicals

Sulaiman - 1-9-2017 at 13:31

I just came across this interesting list of reactant sources. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_commonly_available_che...

I didn't know where to post (wiki?) so this thread can later be detritused

Vosoryx - 2-9-2017 at 16:03

That is awesome! I've made a copy.

I scrolled through it for a while trying to think of a chemical I knew of that wasn't on the list. The only addition I can think of is that ZnO can also be bought from pottery supply stores.

Thanks.

Edit: Urea can also be found from some instant cold packs, but both that and ZnO are alternative sources for a chemical already listed.

[Edited on 3-9-2017 by Vosoryx]

[Edited on 3-9-2017 by Vosoryx]

Melgar - 4-9-2017 at 04:18

It said somewhere on that list that fructose is the L-stereoisomer of glucose. I fixed it the first time, but then ran into that again, and didn't bother. Apparently "levulose" is an archaic name for fructose, even though fructose is dextrorotatory and not an optical isomer of glucose.

L-glucose, for anyone wondering, is unable to be metabolized for energy, although it tastes like ordinary sugar.

woelen - 5-9-2017 at 03:24

This is a nice list, but unfortunately it is not like that anymore in the EU. Quite a few chemicals from that list have disappeared from the shelves. Some are not allowed anymore (nitric acid, hydrogen peroxide at higher concentrations, chlorates) and some are not sold anymore due to concerns about toxicity (e.g. boric acid, borates, oxalic acid). Concentrated acids (like 95+% H2SO4 and 30+% HCl) also are increasingly hard to get your hands on. In hardware stores, concentrations of mineral acids usually are not above 10% by weight anymore.

elementcollector1 - 5-9-2017 at 03:57

Judging from some of the contents, I think this list is U.S.A.-based. Anyway, added LaCl3 to the list.