Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Copper complex of triethanolamine

halogen - 5-2-2007 at 19:35

Triethanolamine is a common ingredient of various cosmetics, and hence would be difficult to ban and by extension, reasonably available. As I recall, it can also form a complex with a copper. (Can anyone back me up on this? I remember it from some quaint volume of forgotten lore or something, but find no reference in the descr. of TEA ...?) Now copper salts such as nitrate or perchlorate would also complex with TEA, right? Anhydrous Cu (II) Perchlorate Nitrate or such and TEA would then form an interesting energetic complex.

Does the Cu complex with one or two molecules of TEA?
N(C2H4OH)3 * Cu(ClO4)2
2N(C2H4OH)3 * Cu(ClO4)2
}OB lacking slightly

But is this reasonably detonatable??? If so, here is a simple Energetic material. Much speculatiopn though.:(

aam - 6-2-2007 at 03:35

Via sciencedirect.com, I have found this article in
Inorganica Chimica Acta
Volume 294, Issue 2 , 10 November 1999, Pages 153-162

Triethanolamine complexes of copper

Kenton H. Whitmire, J. Chris Hutchison, Anna Gardberg and Chris Edwards

Department of Chemistry, MS 60 Rice University, 6100 Main Street, PO Box 1892, Houston, TX 77005-1892, USA

Received 23 February 1999; accepted 12 July 1999. Available online 25 October 1999.

Abstract
A simple benchtop synthesis of the deep blue tetrameric compound [Cu{N(CH2CH2O)3H}]4 prepared from CuSO4·5H2O and triethanolamine is presented. The compound has been characterized in three different crystalline modifications which vary due to the presence of different lattice solvents that include THF, Et2O and H2O. The compound dissolves in water, alcohols and to a slight extent in dichloromethane and chloroform. It produces basic solutions (Kb=1.2 (±0.4)×10−7) in water and a visible spectrum that varies as a function of pH. FAB mass spectral data indicate that the tetramer remains intact and incorporates additional copper ions in the mass spectrometer.