Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Produce trithioacetone

angeltxilon - 7-10-2017 at 01:50

Trithioacetone is a cyclic sulfur-organic compound, [(CH3) 2CS] 3, which I read has a pleasant odor and is used as a food additive.

I am testing with the manufacture of sulfur soaps and I would like to manufacture this compound to see how it really smells and how useful it is.

The process should not require high temperatures, as it will produce thioacetone in another way (the most stinking substance in the world).

As I have read, one way to manufacture it is this:

3 H2S + 3 (CH3)2CO -> [(CH3)2CS]3 + 3 H2O
Hydrogen sulfide and acetone, and hydrochloric acid or any other Lewis acid are required to catalyze the reaction.

Will this really work? How do I mix hydrogen sulfide with acetone and the Lewis acid?

How to make trithioacetone?

angeltxilon - 8-10-2017 at 09:36

Sorry for the repost.

[Edited on 8-10-2017 by angeltxilon]

j_sum1 - 8-10-2017 at 14:42

The trimer apparently has an unpleasant odour. Thioacetone is unpleasant also.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thioacetone#Thioacetone_trimer

You sure you want to do this?

nezza - 9-10-2017 at 01:18

I would recommend against it. It is supposed to be one of the most penetrating and evil smelling substances.

"It merely stinks. But it does so relentlessly and unbearably. It makes innocent downwind pedestrians stagger, clutch their stomachs, and flee in terror. It reeks to a degree that makes people suspect evil supernatural forces."

That's not hyperbole. In 1889, a factory in Freiberg, Germany attempted to make thioacetone. Their "success" produced "an offensive smell which spread rapidly over a great area of the town, causing fainting, vomiting and a panic evacuation."

unionised - 9-10-2017 at 02:46

And yet it is sold as a food grade product for use in flavours and perfumes.
http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/product/aldrich/w347507?...

The monomer is- shall we say- problematic.

wg48 - 11-10-2017 at 06:44

Here is a method I came across. Unless you live on a one man island please note the precautions they use or if not don't forget to report back to us when you get out of jail.

Attachment: burnop1967.pdf (1002kB)
This file has been downloaded 402 times

Crazy as it sounds apparently it is used in perfumes and flavorings !!!