Sciencemadness Discussion Board

balls

Magpie - 25-11-2017 at 14:41

Quote: Originally posted by aga  
Brave too - i certainly haven't got the solid steel balls required to make oleum ;)

I used to be amazed at the way garage chemist, BromicAcid, and Doug would nonchalantly tackle the syntheses of dangerous reagents like CS2, phosgene, and ketene. I have come to realize that they don't have steel balls but instead extreme confidence. This comes from a thorough knowledge of the chemistry involved, proper equipment, and how to deal with the hazards.

j_sum1 - 25-11-2017 at 14:46

There are no short cuts to experience.
Well, there are but they aint pleasant.

JJay - 25-11-2017 at 15:35

I've been thinking about making some oleum, but I think I'll try making it outside first.

That stated, I really ought to spec out a spot where I won't run into anyone. I can only imagine the legends being told about the last time I ran a distillation outside....

Magpie - 25-11-2017 at 15:47

I should have included Len1 on my list. He has published a book on making dangerous chemicals. He not only knows what he is doing but has a university lab at his disposal.

I strongly wish that garage chemist and Len1 were still contributing to this forum.

aga - 25-11-2017 at 16:02

Balls to that - just Equip yourself !

I happened to find a broken industrial squirrel-cage type extractor fan a few days ago and am renovating it so that my puny 'hood has adequate air flow.

To be honest, the amount of chemistry i have actually done reduced dramatically after messing with dioxane and found my fume hood inadequate.

That 'hood holds some unwanted memories.

Being a heavy smoker i cannot complain if/when i get lung cancer, as a few lung-fulls of dioxane are nothing compared to decades of smoking tobacco.

'Blogs' being in prison has also been a factor.

I like blogfast25 and hope he will return here one day, but i cannot fix that.

However, i can now fix the fume hood ;)

Edit:

I strongly wish that more supposedly amateur chemists actually Did some amateur chemistry too.

Just you left i think Magpie - just you doing/posting any chemistry.

I'll try to give some support as soon as i can.

Further Edit:

I was responding to JJay yet Magpie posted the Len1 thing before i finished typing.

[Edited on 26-11-2017 by aga]

[Edited on 26-11-2017 by aga]

j_sum1 - 25-11-2017 at 16:27

I have Len's book. It is a great read. And yes, I wish he was still contributing here.

Bert - 25-11-2017 at 16:32

BALLS! Said the Queen, if I had to, I'd be King.

And the King laughed, not because he had to, but because he used to.

Magpie - 25-11-2017 at 17:57

"Aw shit!" cried the King
And the whole nation squatted and groaned.

NEMO-Chemistry - 27-11-2017 at 15:56

Having seen your oleum pics, i think balls of lead of definitely required, the stuff just looks evil

Magpie - 27-11-2017 at 17:07

When oleum fumes it is just an H2SO4 aerosol and not much of a hazard. I don't even wear gloves when working in it. Now, the liquid is a different story. I've seen what it can do to a raw chicken.