Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Synthego offers FREE samples of CRISPR for human cells lines

Hockeydemon - 14-12-2017 at 19:49

I wandered to the synthego website the other day while reading about CRISPR technology. I ended up getting a spam email the other day with a trial offer for their products. Seemed like a good deal so I explored.

I was able to use the code "KNOCKOUT" for the human cell knockout line product. I typed what gene I wanted to knock out - sex hormone-binding globulin (SHBG). Which retailed according to them for almost $1,500 - I then put in the coupon and it was free. I just had to cover shipping costs.

I haven't tried their other offers, but you can find them here:
http://www.synthego.com/offers/

This isn't spam - I thought someone here might find some free CRISPR tools fun.

On a side note - the fact that I can just order human cell line editing things online for free, without credentials is crazy.

Reboot - 6-1-2018 at 06:09

Neat!

Strange and interesting things are coming, to be sure. It's a much more advanced project, but it's only a matter of time before somebody has a vat of yeast producing cocaine.

Or if you really want to lose sleep, a very long time ago as part of theoretical assignment on future pandemics, I proposed an engineered cold virus that induced prion formation. The population gets the sniffles, then years later everybody starts to get dementia and die.

Harristotle - 7-1-2018 at 14:22

Thanks for sharing,
passed on to some bio mates, who became very excited.

Cheers,
H.

Yttrium2 - 5-5-2018 at 07:40

Boo

Wait, what exactly are you doing and how is it doesn't done?

I miss biology class.

Missing out...