Sciencemadness Discussion Board

TATP--How sensitive is it?

Pages:  1  2

caterpillar - 29-1-2012 at 05:24

Well, I made them (blasting caps) in such way. I took a pencil and piece of Al tinfoil. Then I wrapped this pencil around and formed a tube. Then I sealed one site of this tube. I put AP into this tube- not by weight, but to fulfill approximatly 2 cm of its lenght. I pressed AP by the same pencil. Finally I put a cotton rope into this tube, boilled with KNO3 and covered with sulphur, Finally rope was fixed by scotch. That's all. Al tinfoil was not very thin- 0.2 mm probably.

dangerous amateur - 29-1-2012 at 06:00

Quote:

Finally I put a cotton rope into this tube, boilled with KNO3 and covered with sulphur, Finally rope was fixed by scotch

Sounds like homemade blackmatch. Not really suitable for blasting operations and HEs in general ;)

You should at least use some proper Viscofuse.

I find this whole method rather scary. You allways need to have your digits involved somehow.

I used the well known HMTD straws for some time, but I fixed them in a piece of rubber with fitting holes, sprayed with static killer. The fuse and plug are made ready before the HMTD comes to action.
So when the cap is filled my fingers are not needed anymore, the second cap can be placed by pincers and is glued in place.
I grip it only at the fuse.

quicksilver - 29-1-2012 at 07:58

One complaint too many - CLOSED.
This thread went from a "classic" discussion of how and why TATP is dangerous and basically unsafe to a Kewlish one. This generally happens with crap kitchen chemistry; instead of discussing issue related to the science of energetic chemistry the thread moves to "practical application", spoon-feeding, or things even duller. TATP has been discussed SO much that no one is going to miss this thread.
I want people to NOTICE how this thing went from a civil conversation to teen-bomber junk.

Pages:  1  2