Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Spinamathing

aga - 23-2-2018 at 06:13

Woohoo !

A whirly-spinny thing arrived today :)

spinamathing.jpg - 42kB

WangleSpong5000 - 23-2-2018 at 06:26

Remote controlled future gunship... rotors kick off and spray horrid shit all over the shop...

Hang on a sec... this has been done already... all those lovely side product dioxins... dust those crops innit?

But in all seriousness I love the gums made out of my own blood I got from a similar machine at the dentist. Coagulate wooooo!

WouldSynthesizeForFood - 23-2-2018 at 06:28

Congrats!

NEMO-Chemistry - 23-2-2018 at 06:57

Keep the weight in the tubes equal and you can add a small motor, you dont need high RPM's unless you want to isolate ribosomes!

Actually for cell work if you use high RPM you need a cooling system to stop the cells heating, but the capacity of those tubes is idea for chemistry work!! A small motor takes the effort out of it, keeping the tubes balanced is 3/4 the way to ensuring safe long operation.

What is the actual capacity of those tubes?

aga - 23-2-2018 at 08:18

The tubes hold 18ml of water.

A 100mm x 15mm test tube fits in them nicely.

Edit:

It broke already.

Instead of drilling & tapping the clamp screw hole (clamp to hold it to the desk) they bashed in a short bit of threaded pipe as a kind of sleeve.

Needless to say, once tightened, this sleeve gets pushed out, so the whole thing falls off the bench.

Should be OK with a bit more re-engineering.

What can you expect for 50 quid's worth of Indian manufacturing ?

[Edited on 23-2-2018 by aga]

WangleSpong5000 - 23-2-2018 at 09:07

Quote: Originally posted by aga  

It broke already.

[Edited on 23-2-2018 by aga]

HA!!! Just like a mini remote controlled helicopter that's breaks on Christmas Day arvo hahahaha!

But seriously mini remote control helicopter technology has come a long way... well not really... just got way cheaper and designed the rotors to take a bashing and still function as opposed to being made of spider webs and magic as they were 10yrs ago