Sciencemadness Discussion Board

How do I remove the smell of Benzyl Chloride from skin

Rhodanide - 26-2-2018 at 06:20

I have a small amount of Benzyl Chloride in a sealed bottle. While looking for a few chemicals, I picked up the bottle and moved it a few feet. I should add that I had no gloves, but the bottle was clean on the outside! I guess by just doing this, the vapor "stuck" to my hands! It left behind a musty smell, sort of like brick dust. Washing with water won't get rid of it. Soap won't kill it. Fairly concentrated Sodium Hydroxide solution won't do it, even (Yes, I was that desperate). What the hell do I do? Wait for it to dissipate? How do I handle it in the future? I only have a tiny amount of unknown concentration, less than 20mL. It was produced by the radical Chlorination of Toluene.

Tsjerk - 26-2-2018 at 11:27

The smell is caused by chlorinated proteins, you won't get rid of it until your skin is renewed. I guess it takes a long as trinitrophenol stains take to disappear; about three weeks.

zed - 26-2-2018 at 16:52

Way I recall, it is easier to make it from Benzyl Alcohol.

Nasty stuff. I cry when I think about it.

Magpie - 26-2-2018 at 16:58

Sodium tetraborate decahydrate (Boraxo) makes an excellent non-toxic cleaner for dirty/greasy hands after doing auto-mechanic work. I suggest you try that. It is my go-to cleaner for my hands. If it doesn't work try Bartender's Friend which contains oxalic acid. As a last resort, try 3M abrasive pads.

wg48 - 26-2-2018 at 23:57

For dirty greasy oily auto mechanic hands I recommend diy Swarfega, a 50/50 mixture of cooking oil and washing up liquid.

Alternatively solubilize the grease and oil by washing/massaging your dry(no water) hands with cooking oil then with washing up liquid, rinse and dry. A nail brush helps too.